This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

How Long After You Stopped Gluten Did You Get Pregnant

Jamie1763

Jamie1763 Newbie

Ok so husband and I have been trying for 2 years. Was finally diagnosed with PCOS and Hypothyriod. Seem to ovulate every month, but never get pregnant. I am self diagnosed with Celiac or gluten intolerance. I have only been off gluten for 2 weeks and feel wonderful. Also wondering if this may help the infertility issue. How many have had the same problem....and how long did it take before you finally did get pregnant?

• 2 weeks later...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

abbysmom Rookie

I self diagnosed as well, after having 1 successful pregnancy followed by 2 miscarriages. 2 months after being gluten-free, I was pregnant. Had a wonderful pregnancy and a healthy baby girl! I felt like my periods got normal for the 1st time after being gluten-free and I felt healthy and not nearly so tired. Best of luck to you!

wannaBAmama Newbie
Ok so husband and I have been trying for 2 years. Was finally diagnosed with PCOS and Hypothyriod. Seem to ovulate every month, but never get pregnant. I am self diagnosed with Celiac or gluten intolerance. I have only been off gluten for 2 weeks and feel wonderful. Also wondering if this may help the infertility issue. How many have had the same problem....and how long did it take before you finally did get pregnant?

Glad you are feeling better after going gluten-free - it literally changed my life. I also self-diagnosed and felt amazing after 4 days. I had 5 unexplained first trimester miscarriages in the 2 years prior to that. I went to a nutritionist, gastroenteroligist and acupuncturist- all 3 said to take a year off before getting pg again but as I was pushing 40 I still tried. Before I went gluten-free I could get pg within a month or two of trying (then miscarry). In the first few months after going gluten-free I could no longer get pg - maybe because my body was busy healing. (I also ended up going dairy-free for about 4 months - then I could slowly tolerate it again). After 7 months gluten-free I got pregnant again, and for the first time I was seeing regular growth on ultrasounds - probably because I am no longer malnourished. But unfortunately I lost that pregnancy at 10weeks from down syndrome (trisomy 21). I then tried an IVF cycle to try to start out with good chromosomes (I had the embryos tested) but that failed. Then while waiting to start my next IVF cycle, about 1 year after going gluten-free, I got pg naturally again. I am now 18 weeks along and amnio says it's a healthy girl. So to make a long story short, my doctors were right - it took me a year to heal and be able to sustain a pregnancy (so far!).

• 3 weeks later...
terribeth07 Apprentice

I'm also curious how quickly people have gotten pregnant after going gluten free.

I would love to hear the stories about how long it took everyone to get pregnant.

bette spada Newbie

my daughter is currently 5 months pregnant. she has been gluten free for 2 years. during the 2 years she has been gluten free she had miscarried 3 times. we still have fingers crossed that she will make it to the birth with this one.

wannaBAmama Newbie
my daughter is currently 5 months pregnant. she has been gluten free for 2 years. during the 2 years she has been gluten free she had miscarried 3 times. we still have fingers crossed that she will make it to the birth with this one.

Bette- I am so sorry to hear of your daughter's losses and hope this current pregnancy is successful. If she has been through all the standard blood and structural tests and nothing has been identified as a cause, and has any future unexplained complications, I strongly recommend consulting with the Alan Beer Center. They deal with maternal immune issues and I had 5 first trimester miscarriages before I found them. I am now 22 weeks along with a healthy girl, but I have had to do continuous treatments to keep my immune system in check. My belief is that I should have been off gluten since birth, but did not discover the issue until 18 months ago - so my immune system still flares during pregnancy which requires treatment to keep in check. The treatments are similar to those done for people with other autoimmune diseases like rheumatoid arthritis and they have made the difference for me - but are not considered standard for pregnancy and most regular doctors do not believe in immune issues as there have not been enough official clinical trials (there is no way I would have signed up for a clinical trial after 5 miscarriages by age 39 and most women who go there are in the same boat as me). Their web site is www.repro-med.net and they consult with patients worldwide and also local patients in the San Francisco Bay Area (where I am). There is also an online yahoo group called "immunologysupport" which if you or your daughter join, you can find OB's and RE's who work with the Beer center doctors (in the "Files" section of the group. It sounds like your daughter is out of the woods for many of the immune flares but if she finds that growth is slowing (IUGR) I strongly recommend giving the Beer center a call as IUGR and low amniotic fluid are common immune issues in the 2nd trimester which if untreated can lead to preterm labor or loss. Sorry to be so graphic but I've learned so much the past year and a half and want to prevent as many immune-related losses as I can by sharing what I've learned.

good luck to you and your daughter!

• 8 years later...
Mrs.armbarr Newbie

Hi everyone, I’m new to this forum as well as to being diagnosed with Celiac. I’ve been gluten-free now for 2 weeks. Before discovering I have Celiac, my husband and I were trying to get pregnant. I’d been off birth control now for 6 months and for some reason I wasn’t having my period. In talking with my OB and many blood tests later we discovered I was severely anemic despite my extremely healthy eating habits. The severe anemia lead my OB to test for Celiac which has led me here. 

Although discovering I have Celiac was a shock, it answers many other health and physical issues I have been dealing with; however my husband and I still are waiting and waiting to get pregnant. 

I could really use some encouragement as well as some advice from anyone who has gone through this. I’m trying not to worry because I know stress affects the body so negatively, but I’m constantly wondering how long it will take my body to “get back to normal” now that I’ve gone gluten-free. My OB adviced I wait 2 months for some GI healing and then contact her if I still haven’t had a period. She’s 100% attributing my infertility to the vitamin deficiencies, and therefore the infertility. 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master
8 hours ago, Mrs.armbarr said:

Hi everyone, I’m new to this forum as well as to being diagnosed with Celiac. I’ve been gluten-free now for 2 weeks. Before discovering I have Celiac, my husband and I were trying to get pregnant. I’d been off birth control now for 6 months and for some reason I wasn’t having my period. In talking with my OB and many blood tests later we discovered I was severely anemic despite my extremely healthy eating habits. The severe anemia lead my OB to test for Celiac which has led me here. 

Although discovering I have Celiac was a shock, it answers many other health and physical issues I have been dealing with; however my husband and I still are waiting and waiting to get pregnant. 

I could really use some encouragement as well as some advice from anyone who has gone through this. I’m trying not to worry because I know stress affects the body so negatively, but I’m constantly wondering how long it will take my body to “get back to normal” now that I’ve gone gluten-free. My OB adviced I wait 2 months for some GI healing and then contact her if I still haven’t had a period. She’s 100% attributing my infertility to the vitamin deficiencies, and therefore the infertility. 

Welcome!  

Celiac disease can teach you (what am I saying....WILL) to be patient.  Take time to heal.  Being pregnant and then caring for a baby is exhausting and that happens to moms who are fit and healthy!  A few months seems like forever, but it will pass by quickly.

Listen to your doctors.

Recovery can take months to a year or so.  Why so long?  The gluten free diet takes time to master.  Master the diet and you will most likely heal faster.  Expect a few setbacks (glutenings).  You will make mistakes, we all do.  Your anemia should resolve within a few months.  Your doctors should be checking your celiac antibodies and your anemia three  to six months after your diagnosis.  When I was diagnosed, my anemia improved within a few months.  It was a sign that I was healing from celiac disease.  Make sure your thyroid is working throughout your pregnancy.  Hypothyroidism can definitely cause miscarriages.

I delivered my daughter at age 40.   Not sure how old you are, but if your OB/GYN is not concerned, you should not be either.

In the meantime, since you want to get pregnant, avoid processed foods as much as possible.  Get your nutrients from whole foods. See if your significant other is willing to go gluten free in the house with you.  It helps to avoid making mistakes in your own home and it gives you piece of mind which is priceless.    Do not eat out.  I repeat, do not eat out.  Unless it is 100% gluten free — the entire joint!  Not until you are feeling well.  I would not risk it until I had that baby in my arms.  There is a risk, there is always a risk, but you can manage risk so that you can reach your goal — a baby!  

Finally, relax!  Hard to do, but stress does impact your health.  This is the time to chuck extra responsibilities and let others help you.  

I strike up conversations  with people everywhere. (Isn’t obvious?)  I was in a gluten free dedicated bakery cafe loading up on goods (we were on vacation).  I met a couple with a six month old baby from Canada.  They had been trying to get pregnant for a decade!  Six months after the wife’s celiac diagnosis, she became pregnant.  They are so happy.  Just a little thing like Gluten was the source of their misery.  

Thinking positive thoughts!  Hugs!  

Mrs.armbarr Newbie
2 hours ago, cyclinglady said:

Welcome!  

Celiac disease can teach you (what am I saying....WILL) to be patient.  Take time to heal.  Being pregnant and then caring for a baby is exhausting and that happens to moms who are fit and healthy!  A few months seems like forever, but it will pass by quickly.

Listen to your doctors.

Recovery can take months to a year or so.  Why so long?  The gluten free diet takes time to master.  Master the diet and you will most likely heal faster.  Expect a few setbacks (glutenings).  You will make mistakes, we all do.  Your anemia should resolve within a few months.  Your doctors should be checking your celiac antibodies and your anemia three  to six months after your diagnosis.  When I was diagnosed, my anemia improved within a few months.  It was a sign that I was healing from celiac disease.  Make sure your thyroid is working throughout your pregnancy.  Hypothyroidism can definitely cause miscarriages.

I delivered my daughter at age 40.   Not sure how old you are, but if your OB/GYN is not concerned, you should not be either.

In the meantime, since you want to get pregnant, avoid processed foods as much as possible.  Get your nutrients from whole foods. See if your significant other is willing to go gluten free in the house with you.  It helps to avoid making mistakes in your own home and it gives you piece of mind which is priceless.    Do not eat out.  I repeat, do not eat out.  Unless it is 100% gluten free — the entire joint!  Not until you are feeling well.  I would not risk it until I had that baby in my arms.  There is a risk, there is always a risk, but you can manage risk so that you can reach your goal — a baby!  

Finally, relax!  Hard to do, but stress does impact your health.  This is the time to chuck extra responsibilities and let others help you.  

I strike up conversations  with people everywhere. (Isn’t obvious?)  I was in a gluten free dedicated bakery cafe loading up on goods (we were on vacation).  I met a couple with a six month old baby from Canada.  They had been trying to get pregnant for a decade!  Six months after the wife’s celiac diagnosis, she became pregnant.  They are so happy.  Just a little thing like Gluten was the source of their misery.  

Thinking positive thoughts!  Hugs!  

Cyclinglady, I was over joyed to see your response this morning when I woke up! I wasn’t sure how often people reply to posts so I was optimistic that anyone would even see my post. 

Firstly, I’m 31 and just finished my BSN degree as of this week and I live in California. So although I know a great deal of medical/nursing knowledge, when it comes to dealing with a personal diagnosis, as well as a major lifestyle change - I’m seeking info and encouragement from others :) 

My OB said to give it (it meaning being completely gluten-free) at least 2 months. She seemed pretty confident that my anemia would begin resolving as well as my menstraul cycle would restart sometime within that time period. Now, I know this estimated time frame is not a gaurentee, so I’m trying to prepare myself for it to be a bit longer. Another side note, my hormone levels are normal, as well as I have no thyroid issues - totally healthy minus the anemia and the Celiac diagnosis. I actually had very few symptoms of Celiac, nothing I ever complained about - though even after 2 weeks of being gluten-free, I must admit I feel different. I’m hungry way more often (I was always known for eating healthy, but very little) and yet, I feel lighter - not like I have a rock in my stomach. I find it fascinating that the body compensates and finds a new baseline when dealing with an illness that was not known of, in my body, for who knows how long. 

Anyway, I’m babbling now. I don’t know anyone personally that is living life with Celiac, and even more so, one who is my age, married and wanting so badly to start a family, so I appreciate the opportunity to join this forum community (and Celiac community in general) and reach out. 

I’ve actualky eaten out twice already. One night at a restaurant that offered gluten-free options (for my anniversary) and most recently at In & Out. They do specific food allergy preventions as far as my research has shown me and personal experience. I’ve always ordered my burger protein style as, (lucky for me) I’m not a huge fan of bread. In addition, In & Out mark’s that you have a gluten allergy and supposedly cooks everything in a designated fryer and grill that is gluten-free. 

Husband and I don’t eat out often, I cook every night and so I feel as if I’ve been on track eating 100% gluten-free. My one other concern is Starbucks ... I enjoy a Vanilla Latté frequently and have seen several mixed reviews as to what syrups are gluten-free. This is one of my top gluten questions as well, haha! 

In a bit shell, I’ll heed the advice being given and try to just focus on eating gluten-free and giving my body time to heal. I never thought the pull to be a Mom would feel this strong though, so waiting is literally hurting my heart, but I wouldn’t want to get pregnant (by a miracle) and lose the baby either, due to the healing in progress. 

Thank you so much for your words of encouragement! I look forward to hearing more from you and others, and weighing in on other topics as I research and learn on my own gluten-free journey :) 

Hugs back, Rebekah/Mrs.armbarr

kareng Grand Master

The Celiac Center in Chicago says to wait a few month and take your vitamins .  Then you should be good to go!  ?

Mrs.armbarr Newbie
6 hours ago, kareng said:

The Celiac Center in Chicago says to wait a few month and take your vitamins .  Then you should be good to go!  ?

I’ve been taking prenatal vitamins for 6 months now, as well as an additional dose of iron for my anemia ? I’m going to try and practice extra patience’s for the next few months and pray for the best! Thank-you Karen! 

• 4 weeks later...
anon2468013579 Newbie

My boyfriend is 19 and has been gluten free for just over a year. We are really struggling to conceive. Could it be that because his celiac disease was untreated for so long that he is prehaps infertile?

Archived