7 replies to this topic

#1 TriticusToxicum

TriticusToxicum

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 08:48 AM

Hi all. My family and I are heading for WDW on Sunday. Since WDW is where dreams come true I am getting in the spirit and dreamin gof a burger on a gluten-free bun and some seriously deep-fried french fries. For those of you have been to WDW, where did you have success in locating this most decadent of entrees? I have heard tales of places that only sell uncontaminated McD's fries (gulp)...but I have also heard tales that this ended w/ the WDW McD's break up...:(

Anybody else have any favorite suggestions for "quick service" meals in any of the 4 parks?

Thanks

Richard
Richard

"Not all who wander are lost" - J.R.R. Tolkien

Diagnosed 3/8/05
Sister also Celiac

Risus remedium optimum est

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 jmd3

jmd3

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 09:03 AM

Hi all. My family and I are heading for WDW on Sunday. Since WDW is where dreams come true I am getting in the spirit and dreamin gof a burger on a gluten-free bun and some seriously deep-fried french fries. For those of you have been to WDW, where did you have success in locating this most decadent of entrees? I have heard tales of places that only sell uncontaminated McD's fries (gulp)...but I have also heard tales that this ended w/ the WDW McD's break up...:(

Anybody else have any favorite suggestions for "quick service" meals in any of the 4 parks?

Thanks

Richard

My daughter and I went 2 times last year -- Aug 5 days, then Nov 7 days - it truly is the world for celiac travelers, and you will be treated wonderfully!

You can get fries pretty much anywhere, they made us special ones, in a pan with olive oil whenever we requested at our sit down meals. If you do deep fry - it is a soy oil and I do not do well with those.

Sit downs - (reservations with your allergy / celiac in advance so it is documented)
The si-fi ribs A+++ Kids and adults both like!
Great steak meals at Canada restaurant!! A+++++++
In France - escargot WITH bread!! (gluten-free of course) we did this as a treat for lunch

Quick service - anywhere!
Learned the first visit, eat lunch early - when not to busy - at a quick stop, go right to or ask for manager to help due to allergies--- best term to use at first. We did mostly salads and fruits at quick service, but they have gluten-free hotdogs, hamburgers, pizzas etc... everywhere - just ask as explained above to a quick service manager
Feb 9, 07 - Positive gene test D2 -Celiac Disease and Positive D3 for Gluten Sensitivity-Double Whammy!
Positive blood test for antibodies for celiac
SEVERE Gluten Ataxia - trouble speaking - could not even turn my head side to side - almost bedridden
March 07 - 2 different doctors have documented my records as confirmed Celiac
Oct 07 - found a secret to feeling better - no processed foods - The healing comes from eating raw vegetables, and fruits!
Husband - tested = celiac gene+diabetes gene
3 children-
youngest - doc wont test has w/ Hashimoto Disease
middle- tested = celiac gene+lymphoma gene - dx-celiac
oldest - ignores warnings

#3 abbysmom

abbysmom

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 09:58 AM

Yay for trips to Disney! It is so much fun to eat there. My family always eats at Cosmic Ray's Starlight Cafe at Magic Kingdom. You have to wait twice as long for your hamburger and fries, but SO worth it. You can pick up gluten-free Brownies and Chocolate Chip cookies at the Main Street Bakery. If you are staying at a Disney hotel, they can provide you with a gluten-free menu. I could have eaten every meal at our hotel. They made gluten-free Mickey Mouse shaped pancakes, which was a huge deal for my 4 yr old.

If you call the Disney number (you can find it on the Disney website), ask for info on their gluten-free options and they will email you what you can eat at each counter service at each park. Very helpful!

Have a wonderful trip! Happy Eating!
1998 - Diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
1999 - Diagnosed with Fibromyalgia
2005 - Gave birth to daughter, began having stomach problems
March 2006 - Had Gallbladder surgery, problems got much worse
March 1, 2007 - Self-diagnosed Celiac after Dr. thought I was crazy!
Went gluten free and not looking back!
Felt better than I have in YEARS!

Philippians 4:13 "I can do all things through Him who strengthens me"

#4 TriticusToxicum

TriticusToxicum

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 10:07 AM

... You can pick up gluten-free Brownies and Chocolate Chip cookies at the Main Street Bakery.

:rolleyes:

It really is the Magic Kingdom!

Does anybody know if Frontier Fries (in Frontierland) or Petrifries (in Disneys Animal Kingdom) are still around? They were the quick service shacks that served ONLY McD's fries and soft drinks - no McMystery Meat Nuggets to foul up the oil...Sadly I fear they are no more...can anyone confirm this? :huh:
Richard

"Not all who wander are lost" - J.R.R. Tolkien

Diagnosed 3/8/05
Sister also Celiac

Risus remedium optimum est

#5 jmd3

jmd3

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 10:17 AM

I know there was still a McDonald fry place in Epcot as of Nov last year, I don't know about now though. I am really confused because McDonald's frys have a small but still present gluten coating, they are off limits anyway.

oh, those chocolate chip cookies were soooo good, definitely get one of those!

I have several of the brochures I brought home, and I can post a few of the quick service places later for you... I kept them for the reason of somewhat pre-planning our next escape.
Feb 9, 07 - Positive gene test D2 -Celiac Disease and Positive D3 for Gluten Sensitivity-Double Whammy!
SEVERE Gluten Ataxia - trouble speaking - could not even turn my head side to side - almost bedridden
Oct 07 - found a secret to feeling better - no processed foods - The healing comes from eating raw vegetables, and fruits!
3 children-

#6 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 02:40 PM

McDonald's fries do not have a coating. There is wheat and dairy in the oil they use. That has been much debated here on many threads.

#7 jmd3

jmd3

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 11:22 AM

Thanks

Richard

haven't located the brochures... but, you can go to disney.com and visit the maps of the park, and going from memory you can see the different things, exhibits, shows, rides, food set-ups, located through out the park. best of luck, and have a wonderful trip!!!!!!!!!
3 children-

#8 jmd3

jmd3

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 11:24 AM

McDonald's fries do not have a coating. There is wheat and dairy in the oil they use. That has been much debated here on many threads.

I know debated, and debated.... and probably will continue to be.

**family friends have several MCD's... they told me otherwise, and they are not safe. I take that to heart.
3 children-

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: