This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

I'm G.intolerant - Son Has Diarrhea

2plustwins

2plustwins Rookie

I am gluten intolerant - diagnosed about a year ago. One of my two year old twins has had diarrhea for over awhile. Awful smelling, very frequent (4-6 a day), mostly green . . . He is smaller than his twin and also has extreme tantrums. He used to have constipation really bad.

I had him tested a year ago (blood testing) and the results were fine. He was only 16 months at the time. I wonder if maybe he did not have enough gluten in him at the time OR if maybe I am just over-reacting.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ang1e0251 Contributor

I've read that testing in children is very inconsistant. I wouldn't believe the results unless they were positive. Have you tried a gluten-free diet for him? It would probably decide it for you if he responded to it.

daphniela Explorer

16 months is probably too young to be tested. My son is 13 months and the doctor said he's too young. I cut out milk and his diarrhea went away. He still gets cheese though.

lizajane Rookie

please try gluten free. who cares what the test says??? if he responds to a gluten free diet, you have your answer. my son also tested negative (at about 9 months old) but when we took him off gluten at age 4, he changed into a new happy guy in THREE DAYS. he started to sleep all night. he started to be sweet all day every day. his tummy went flat. please tr it! it changed out little guy's life, and therefore, ours!! no more crazy tantrums and all night sleep!!!!

2plustwins Rookie
please try gluten free. who cares what the test says??? if he responds to a gluten free diet, you have your answer. my son also tested negative (at about 9 months old) but when we took him off gluten at age 4, he changed into a new happy guy in THREE DAYS. he started to sleep all night. he started to be sweet all day every day. his tummy went flat. please tr it! it changed out little guy's life, and therefore, ours!! no more crazy tantrums and all night sleep!!!!

thanks so much! He is gluten free, as of yesterday. I hope we have great results in a few days like you did!

:)

I'll let you know.

• 1 month later...
fripp017 Apprentice

Hi. I know this is off topic to your question, but I was wondering how you were diagnosed with gluten-intolerance. My kids seem to be showing signs of gluten-intolerance and/or Celiac Disease. They are in the process of being tested, but the doctor practically ignores the idea of gluten-intolerance. I was just wondering what it took to get the diagnosis. Thanks :)

Archived