This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Golden Corral

missy'smom

missy'smom Collaborator

Kiddo is scheduled to go on an all-day school field trip next week and will be bringing a packed lunch and stopping at Golden Corral for dinner. I won't be attending. I e-mailed them and asked about options/info. but haven't gotten a response back. I could either send a cooler and a packed meal, that maybe they can warm-up in the microwave or send a dining card and a detailed list of choices. I haven't been there in over a decade so don't know what they serve and don't know what location they will be dining at so can't contact the manager. What would you do? I'm sure that corn, fruit and icecream and drink would be fine but it's the main-dish that I am most concerned about. Any advice? Info.? Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mamaw Community Regular

We eat at Golden Corral every once in a while. Ours is not very clean & spoons are always tossed from one dish to another. I would not call it a great place to dine! BUt when options are very limited , I guess one bites the bullet.

Honestly I can not for see ours heating something up in their equipment. Another is places usually will not heat up because someone could actually be putting something in their equipment that wasn't made for that! This happened several years ago where a gasoline/quick stop place some people put something in the micro that was not supposed to go in the micro. So health & safety reasons I guess I would rule that idea out. You could speak to the manager & maybe!

Fruits, lettuce & veggies are the safest... steamed broccoili, cawiflower, bussel sprouts, corn. For the meats sometimes they have ham, or burgers, plain ribs or turkey...coconut macroons & Ice cream....when they have fresh strawberries we dip them in the Hot Fudge for dessert....

It really depends which night you are there as to what is on the menu as sides change & eat one does something different.

There is one about 1 1/2 hours from us & it is wonderful, clean & always has more choices...They all seem to have baked potato & baked sweet potato as well..I don't trust the grill either...

An idea is could you send beef jerky, or a meat that doesn't need heating & he could enjoy the fruits, veggies & dessert...

When our kids go on field trips we always send jerky & cheese & crackers. PB & Jelly sandwich. cheese sandwich !!!!

hth

mamaw

missy'smom Collaborator

Thanks mawmaw, you've given me some ideas. I just don't trust the roasts etc. to not be floured or cooked with broths or other unsafe flavoring ingredients. So I got that deer in the headlights feeling when I looked at their online menu. He'll be outside all day and be starving so I want to make sure he has enough. If he's lucky they'll have steamed shrimp and/or fish but I know that's not an everyday thing and he'll be going on a weeknight so probably less CC but also fewer choices.

dkader Newbie
Thanks mawmaw, you've given me some ideas. I just don't trust the roasts etc. to not be floured or cooked with broths or other unsafe flavoring ingredients. So I got that deer in the headlights feeling when I looked at their online menu. He'll be outside all day and be starving so I want to make sure he has enough. If he's lucky they'll have steamed shrimp and/or fish but I know that's not an everyday thing and he'll be going on a weeknight so probably less CC but also fewer choices.
dkader Newbie

Just wanted to let you know that it scares me to eat at Golden Coral. I don't go anymore because it's a waste of my money. I asked for nutritional info at the restaurant but they said they had so many items that it was impossible to keep track of all them and supply the info. No help on their website either.

You can find a few things to eat but way too much chance for cross-contamination.

Takala Enthusiast

I would be talking to the school that you are not taking my kid with a diet restriction to an "undisclosed location" for dinner, what is wrong with this school that they can't tell you which location specifically so you could call the manager (and ask who is working that night).... what a crock. Who is in charge of this trip ? What if it were a peanut or shellfish allergy and he could go into shock.....

missy'smom Collaborator

I hear you both. I am one of the sensitive ones who reacts to gluten-free products tested to be under 5ppm. Sometimes you fight and sometimes you just make the best of an imperfect situation. The location and chain will not be changed for my son, that's unrealistic and people who don't get it or don't care aren't going to change. Some people can be educated and others can't. Kiddo doesn't have an official diagnosis and even though he clearly has a wheat allergy diagnosis, it's not in the anaphalactic category, although even though both blood and skin testing were clearly "positive", his allergist dismissed it as a reaction to a botanically similar environmental allergy and not a true wheat allergy :rolleyes: I made sure they knew the clear results of our dietary elimination experiment! If he had either of those two diagnosis, I would have more power on my side and be approaching this differently. I figured out his issues with gluten myself, neither his doctor nor the allergist are on board.

We did have the opportunity to visit a GC location yesterday while we were traveling and asked to check out the food bar without dining and they let us. I talked with the manager and he had no clue and made no effort to check ingredients when unsure. I didn't even get into gluten... said he had a wheat allergy. I could ask which location and may still, but after seeing the resonse yesterday...and indeed, that location is within the realm of possibility. We made a mental note of OK dishes and will provide a list on a notecard for him and a dining card and talked him through it and pointed out what would and wouldn't work and why. As I suspected, the meat is the most problematic. It looks like they always have cheeseburgers and he can order one from the window, bunless, but steaks are seasoned and the manager "didn't think" there could be wheat in the seasoning. :huh: and they are cooked on the same grill as the burgers. Sigh...I may send some stable meat like mawmaw suggested. He's pretty adaptable and likes simple veg, fruits, jello and icecream so he'll be ok. and I can feed him again at home and make sure he has a good amount of protein with the lunch I send. His time at GC can count as his usual substantial afterschool snack. We usually eat dinner at 8 p.m.(the time he'll be getting home) and he usually has 2 dinners these days anyway! My growing boy that he is, hungry all night long.

I chapparoned a field trip two years ago with a girl in his class who has an anaphalactic peanut allergy and she was left to take care of herself. I must say, she was very mature about it. She was in my group and I helped her check some labels and at a class party too. I was in charge of one party and asked parents to send in things she could have, after calling and talking to her parents. Nobody else did anything for her and even her parents seemed apathetic and not thankful, but I didn't mind, I could see that she was happy to have a few extra choices that time.

Anyone know what brands of beef jerkey, sausages sticks, salami and the like that are gluten-free? I used to buy the Welshire Farms at WF but they didn't have it lately. Hormel party trays are gluten-free but I don't know if they have small packs that are more portable. We buy the Naturals line but they aren't as stable on a long warm day as the ones with all the chemicals :ph34r: . I want to send in an unopened pack if possible to give it more stability.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mamaw Community Regular

Oberto has a couple of beef jerky flavors. I only buy the original, its not my favorite.!!!

The best small pkg. of meats that we all love is Gary WestMeats. They sell many gluten-free in single serve or small pkgs. It is good tasting , tender & just the best I've found so far. The kids take this to school with some cheese & crackers.I order directly from Gary West Meats.....you have to read each nutritional label to know what is gluten-free.....

Also if he had a good cooler bag a hot dog, veggie sticks,small can of tuna, banana. If he likes salsa & chips , wal-mart carries the single serve in the deli section. Again with a good cooler, A chicken leg or a smoked turkey leg..., pepperoni,cheese & crackers is another.

If you google Open Original Shared Link they have little lunches. I haven't tried these yet.

I'm sure you probably will not have time to order but I hope this helps for future use....When school startes in Sept I plan on ordering from go picnic.

I guess my brain is on overtime! Here's another: Hormel small cans of beans & weeneys, these can be eaten cold or heated.

Again, I would not trust GC nor woulld I think they will hest something up....

When I question them they look at me like I have three heads.......One cook from a GC didn't know you can thicken things up without using flour!!!! I've found most managers also don't care or get it....

At the Old Country Buffet in my area , the food again isn't safe but the place is much cleaner. We only eat on turkey & ham days.....We always take in cake & cookies for the kids & they never care. None of us have ever been glutened or got sick at this place. The kids are able to choose their foods wisely & again no sickness. The breakfast buffet at the same place we get sick. Go figure.....

I hope your buddy can enjoy his trip & still have a few gluten-free goodies!!!!Our kids are 11 & 8 & have been gluten-free since the younger one was two....

blessings

Juliebove Rising Star

We just ate there tonight! Daughter had mainly things from the salad bar. Had some cottage cheese for her protein. She did take a piece of ham but didn't eat it as she didn't think it tasted right. Had a small amount of the ice cream.

missy'smom Collaborator

Kiddo had a good trip. In the end we sent an extra pack of sausage bites that were shelf stable with him. He ate the icecream, fruits and veg, and the sausage bites(Old Wisconsin-says gluten-free on the label) and was satisfied. In fact he LOVED the sausage bits. I don't usually buy things like that. I offered to make supper when he got home but he didn't need it. He said that one of the parents at his table asked him why he wasn't eating much and he piped up and said "I have Celiac Disease" just like that! I'm so proud of him. and for not caving too. One of the parents was telling me how much variety and how clean the place was compared to our local one and I was thinking great that it was clean but poor kid, with all those choices that he can't have :( . In the end it seems all was ok. Us moms, we worry about our kids!

hannahp57 Contributor

glad to hear his trip went so well. I am newly married and every time we talk about having kids i worry a little. it runs in my family and i know its a possibility but now i am thinking maybe it won't be so bad. it is becoming easier and easier to deal with as it becomes more widely known. I have eaten at golden corral a couple times but was never brave enough to try anything beyond salad and fruit. one day though! one day! we'll all be able to eat anywhere safely

• 4 years later...
LFitts Apprentice

In this kind of situation, we always pack GoPicnic gluten free boxed meals. Our favorite one is turkey jerky with pop chips, dried fruit, etc. Each boxed meal has about 5 things in it that add up to 300 - 400 calories, so there's really enough. Of the Golden Corral locations that I've been in, I really wouldn't trust anything, except MAYBE the salads.

kareng Grand Master

In this kind of situation, we always pack GoPicnic gluten free boxed meals. Our favorite one is turkey jerky with pop chips, dried fruit, etc. Each boxed meal has about 5 things in it that add up to 300 - 400 calories, so there's really enough. Of the Golden Corral locations that I've been in, I really wouldn't trust anything, except MAYBE the salads.

Just an FYI -this is a 4 year old thread.  Lots of restauruants have changed menus and policies in that period of time.

VeggieGal Contributor

In this situation, why not contact Golden Corral and highlight your concerns about cross contamination and menus etc. I've recently complained to two restaurants and complimented another (I've never been to a Golden Corral so can't comment)... but I think if we make restaurants aware, then hopefully and eventually we may make some positive changes.

Although Im in the UK, I'm actually good friends with franchansee/owner of a Golden Corral and he's a lovely guy and I know he would welcome any comments to help improve his business and customer service. Maybe you could contact the one you go to? Good luck

kareng Grand Master

In this situation, why not contact Golden Corral and highlight your concerns about cross contamination and menus etc. I've recently complained to two restaurants and complimented another (I've never been to a Golden Corral so can't comment)... but I think if we make restaurants aware, then hopefully and eventually we may make some positive changes.

Although Im in the UK, I'm actually good friends with franchansee/owner of a Golden Corral and he's a lovely guy and I know he would welcome any comments to help improve his business and customer service. Maybe you could contact the one you go to? Good luck

Because the trip was 4 years ago? :)

VeggieGal Contributor

Oh!!! Lol ok :-)

mamaw Community Regular

old  thread  but  just  to note..years  ago  GC  was  a  tiny  tiny  bit  helpful... But  the  last  two years every  GC  in  five  states  has  been  horrible,  dirty  place,  dirty  dishes.  inferior  food  items,... usually  no  English  speaking  people  behind  the  cooking  stations...We  have  walked  out  of  many  ..... wouldn't  eat  there  now if  it   it was  free....heck,  I  don't  think  it  is  good  for  a  non-celiac  person any more... just  gross...

VeggieGal Contributor

old thread but just to note..years ago GC was a tiny tiny bit helpful... But the last two years every GC in five states has been horrible, dirty place, dirty dishes. inferior food items,... usually no English speaking people behind the cooking stations...We have walked out of many ..... wouldn't eat there now if it it was free....heck, I don't think it is good for a non-celiac person any more... just gross...

Which is why these places need to be told and given the opportunity to change. If they don't listen and they're that bad, then they won't survive long anyway.

Adalaide Mentor

Aren't GCs all just huge buffets? There isn't any chance at all I would ever eat at one. Period. They have so many gluteny items that there isn't a thing there I would trust. When my best friend graduated college and got her Master's in accounting everyone went there to celebrate. I stopped at my favorite bakery and picked up a cupcake and arepa to eat. They had no issues with allowing me to bring in my own food. Buffets don't need an opportunity to change. Because of the nature of them it simply is never a good idea to eat at a gluteny buffet.

VeggieGal Contributor

Aren't GCs all just huge buffets? There isn't any chance at all I would ever eat at one. Period. They have so many gluteny items that there isn't a thing there I would trust. When my best friend graduated college and got her Master's in accounting everyone went there to celebrate. I stopped at my favorite bakery and picked up a cupcake and arepa to eat. They had no issues with allowing me to bring in my own food. Buffets don't need an opportunity to change. Because of the nature of them it simply is never a good idea to eat at a gluteny buffet.

I'm sure you're right Adelaide... I was at a buffet type restaurant at the weekend and there was crutons here and there etc so never again will I do a buffet restaurant. But because they promoted it was suitable as 'gluten free' I took it upon myself to complain because I went without food and wasted my money. And I think in the previous posters message where they said GC was dirty, then I feel theres no excuse for uncleanliness.

I spent years as a veggie not complaining when I was given meat by mistake etc as I felt I was the awkward one, but now I don't see why we should put up with anything less than adequate especially when our health is at stake.

Juliebove Rising Star

And she already said that she *did* contact them and they didn't get back to her.

At some point, I did look on their website and it listed ingredients.  I only remember the taco meat.  That has gluten in it.

And then it dawned on me!  We used to eat at Old Country Buffet because it was close by.  Daughter was the one with gluten issues and never got sick there but she only ever took the salad veggies, refried beans, maybe some corn, fruit, plain rice or a baked potato.  I always got tacos or a taco salad with of course the taco meat.  I always told her not to get it because it might have gluten in it.  Well then the last 3-4 times we went there, I had stomach issues after we ate there.  And then I realized that there may well be oats in the meat!  I didn't used to have a problem with oats that I know of but now I know that I am intolerant to them. 

Things like pot roast scare me too.  Gluten isn't the problem for me but dairy.  Seems most places add dairy to their meats or gravies.

Wouldn't it be easy for us if they used something else to thicken?  Cornstarch!  But that would suck for people with corn issues.  I did see some very expensive dairy free gravy online that was thickened with tapioca starch.  And at home I use sweet rice flour.  Would sure be great if everyone used that!  Sure, some people have rice issues.  It's always going to be something.

Archived