5 replies to this topic

#1 foodiegurl

foodiegurl

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 07:09 PM

In a couple of weeks we are going to Door County for a few days. I have been there the past few years, but that was before being gluten-free.

Any restaurant suggestions?

One thing that depresses me is that my favorite thing about Door County is the cherry pie and all the homemade pastries..and I am going to have to miss out on those from now on.

I know I saw that the Mission restaurant has a gluten-free menu, which is awesome, since it is my favorite restaurant there, but it is also very pricey, and this trip we will be trying to eat more cheaply.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, child-friendly too =)

Thanks!!
Anne in Chicago
Pescatarian since 2005
Diagnosed by blood test February 2009, biopsy June 2009, at age 36
Gluten-free since 3.16.2009

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Mother of Jibril

Mother of Jibril

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 07:45 PM

Sorry I don't have any restaurant suggestions... just wanted to put in my two cents about Wisconsin (which is where I grew up, although I've never been to Door County).

For a celiac... especially if you're a person like me who doesn't drink alcohol or eat cheese... the food situation in Wisconsin is generally BAD. Have you thought about finding a cabin or hotel room with a kitchen? I know it's not as relaxing to cook your own food, but it's definitely safe (and cheap). Then all you have to worry about is finding a grocery store and bringing a few basic cooking utensils... cutting board, knife, frying pan, a couple of pots... a George Foreman grill can be pretty versatile ;) I could easily live off grilled meat, salad, and fresh fruit for several days.
Gluten free 08/08
Son has IgE allergies to peanuts and corn
Hashimoto's, MCAD, pregnancy loss at 17 weeks
HLA-DQB1*0302 (celiac), HLA-DQB1*0301 (gluten sensitive)
Serological equivalent 3,3 (subtype 8,7)
Extensive family history of autoimmune disorders and related symptoms

#3 foodiegurl

foodiegurl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 09:16 PM

actually as I said I have been to Door County before and it is anything but the stereotypical beer, brat and cheese place. It is much classier than that :) Think the 'cape cod of the Midwest', many nice restaurants and local food. Not a fast food place or chain in site.

Honestly, I gave had much gluten-free success here in Wisconsin, including an amazing meal at my favorite Indian restaurant in Milwaukee last night after a trip to the Whole Foods gluten-free section of the bakery :)
Anne in Chicago
Pescatarian since 2005

#4 Mother of Jibril

Mother of Jibril

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 05:40 AM

Wow... obviously I'm not from a "classy" part of Wisconsin. Good luck with your trip to tourist-land.
Gluten free 08/08
Son has IgE allergies to peanuts and corn
Hashimoto's, MCAD, pregnancy loss at 17 weeks
HLA-DQB1*0302 (celiac), HLA-DQB1*0301 (gluten sensitive)
Serological equivalent 3,3 (subtype 8,7)
Extensive family history of autoimmune disorders and related symptoms

#5 foodiegurl

foodiegurl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 07:12 AM

I apologize, I didn't mean to come off as offensive at all :(

I am actually living in Kenosha right now. i lived in Chicago for 7 years, and we just moved here...and I get a lot of flack from my friends about how I am in the boonies, etc.... So, I can be quick to defend the state :) I mean sure there are areas where finding gluten-free would be difficult as it would be in any state, and then areas that are more trendy that have more current food needs as in any other state as well.

Thankfully Door County is not uber touristy or cheesy, but happens to be a very nice place for a close getaway :)

Again, i apologize.

Wow... obviously I'm not from a "classy" part of Wisconsin. Good luck with your trip to tourist-land.

Anne in Chicago
Pescatarian since 2005

#6 Just Mandy

Just Mandy

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 06:28 PM

We had a horrible experience trying to eat gluten-free in Door County. Moral of the story pack food and bring it with you in a cooler LOL.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: