This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

New With Questions

ering917

ering917 Newbie

My four year old son was recently diagnosed with celiac. His symptoms are very mild, but were worrisome enough for us to have him tested. My biggest questions right now are about cross contamination. I see many products that are labeled gluten free, but then there is the disclaimer at the bottom saying that wheat products are also produced in the same factory. And what if they don't say that? For example, doritoes are supposed to be gluten free - are they really safe? Some people say grains can be contaminated even in the field where they grown, or while they are being transported. And I also wonder about the tiny ingredients like maltodextrose and caramel color.

I am very new to this (less than a week now) and we can't get in to see the pediatric nutritionist until AUGUST!

Any advice??

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GottaSki Mentor

Welcome!

We have been at this a couple months and it is becoming much easier. The most helpful thing for me has been to search this site if I have a question about an ingredient or food product. Nearly every time I have search a specific item I have the information I need...whether it is gluten-free and whether other celiacs are able to eat it or not.

As for the cross contamination at processing facilities...not all manufacturers list this info so you many purchase items processed in the same facility as wheat but not know it. It is helpful information -- ultimately it is your choice to have your family eat these items -- we buy some items at Trader Joes that do say that wheat processed in our facility -- but for the most part we opt for items that i've checked on this site...

Good Luck!

GottaSki Mentor

PS...I did find Elisabeth Hasselbeck's new book gluten-free Diet helpful and would have found it even more helpful at week one of going gluten-free.

CeliacMom2008 Enthusiast

Be sure to double check those Doritos. I believe some, but not all are gluten-free. I don't believe the traditional flavor (nacho, I think) is, but cool ranch is I think.

LDJofDenver Apprentice
My four year old son was recently diagnosed with celiac. His symptoms are very mild, but were worrisome enough for us to have him tested. My biggest questions right now are about cross contamination. I see many products that are labeled gluten free, but then there is the disclaimer at the bottom saying that wheat products are also produced in the same factory. And what if they don't say that? For example, doritoes are supposed to be gluten free - are they really safe? Some people say grains can be contaminated even in the field where they grown, or while they are being transported. And I also wonder about the tiny ingredients like maltodextrose and caramel color.

I am very new to this (less than a week now) and we can't get in to see the pediatric nutritionist until AUGUST!

Any advice??

Thanks!

You will find there is more safe food out there than you realize. Many mainstream grocery items are gluten free. There are shopping guides available, too. These are an excellent resource (I don't know what I'd do without it!). I like the Cecilia's Marketplace grocery guide (Open Original Shared Link), but there is also one out by Triumph (Open Original Shared Link). They are $20-$25 but worth it (simplifies your life, big time).

Plus I've found that if I email (or call) a company, many are quick to send you information on which of their products are safe/unsafe (Heinz, Hormel, etc.). When in doubt (sometimes there's an ambiguous ingredient!) I contact the maker.

I'm cautious about purchasing items that are produced on shared equipment. It doesn't necessarily mean that they ARE contaminated, just that they could be, because it's there. I usually pass it by for another gluten-free item. It's a judgement call -- might be a situation where a phone call to the company would be worthwhile.

On maltodextrin and caramel color, these quotes are from the Gluten Free Living website (Open Original Shared Link):

"Maltodextrin

Maltodextrin is gluten free. It can be made from a variety of starches, including corn, potato, rice or wheat. However the source does not matter because maltodextrin is such a highly processed ingredient that the protein is removed, rendering it gluten free. If wheat is used to make maltodextrin, "wheat" will be appear on the label. Even in this case, the maltodextrin would be gluten free."

"Caramel color

Corn is used to make caramel color in the U.S. The FDA does permit use of barley malt but all major caramel color producers say corn makes a better product."

Hope this helps. It will get easier. After a few months you'll have a pretty good handle on which foods are safe so you're not reading labels for 20 minutes in each aisle! Of course, you know you're safe with meats, potatoes, rice, fruits and veggies, etc.

MaddieGsMom Newbie

Hi, we are new to the gluten free diet also, and I joined here specifically to ask that cross contamination question. DD was diagnosed almost. 2 months ago. We just saw my DD nutritionist yesterday and we were told that Carnation instant breakfast was terrific and because of FTT she needs extra protein/fat to gain. I went out to buy it and is is processed on equipment that processes wheat. I don't even know what to make of it. Please continue to post any new info you get and as my questions are answered I will post. Good Luck.

swalker Newbie

If you soak a 1/2 cup of nuts and 1/4 cup of flax overnight in yogurt or milk with 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar then blend that with a tablespoon of chia, a banana and a handful of berries with enough milk (use almond or rice milk if you're avoiding dairy) you'll have a naturally more nutritious and delicious breakfast smoothie. We through in a multistrain probiotic too. We make popsicsles out of the leftovers and they are a nice treat too.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Darn210 Enthusiast

As you read through the different threads on this board, you'll see a wide range of sensitivites. Some are extremely sensitive. Others are not. My daughter is not. We use products from shared facilities and even off of shared lines (cleaned in between). We've never had a problem but this is not true for everyone. As you go through the learning process, you'll figure out how sensitive your son is. You may want to try only a few "shared" items at a time so that if you notice any problems, you'll know the first place to look/which products to eliminate.

Here is a helpful list:

Open Original Shared Link

These companies list all sources of added gluten in their products (it does not distinguish between shared facilities). If a product uses a general term such as "natural flavoring", if it is derived from barley (etc), it will be listed on the label. When all else fails in the grocery store, you'll be able to read the label on products from these companies.

Nacho flavored Doritos are not gluten free. If you have a Krogers, their store brand of Nacho flavored tortilla chips are OK.

Takala Enthusiast
Hi, we are new to the gluten free diet also, and I joined here specifically to ask that cross contamination question. DD was diagnosed almost. 2 months ago. We just saw my DD nutritionist yesterday and we were told that Carnation instant breakfast was terrific and because of FTT she needs extra protein/fat to gain. I went out to buy it and is is processed on equipment that processes wheat. I don't even know what to make of it. Please continue to post any new info you get and as my questions are answered I will post. Good Luck.

(banging my head against the keyboard at the "Nutritionist" )

Where do these people come up with this. You are a wonderfully observant parent. Yes, Carnation Instant Breakfast used to be an option, but now some of it is no longer gluten free, because of the flavorings also, when one looks at their website. All that is in the stuff is POWDERED MILK, sugar, and some flavorings and texturizers. It is not anything magical and could be easily duplicated with a little creativity.

Here's a thread about Carnation Instant Breakfast from January of this year, read thru it for my longer explanation:

https://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/index.php?showtopic=55044

Here's their FAQ page:

I adored the stuff back 25 to 30 years ago and was bummed to see it had barley in it.

Maybe somebody could send the nutritionist the link.....

LDJofDenver Apprentice

(banging my head against the keyboard at the "Nutritionist" )

Where do these people come up with this. You are a wonderfully observant parent. Yes, Carnation Instant Breakfast used to be an option, but now some of it is no longer gluten free, because of the flavorings also, when one looks at their website. All that is in the stuff is POWDERED MILK, sugar, and some flavorings and texturizers. It is not anything magical and could be easily duplicated with a little creativity.

Here's a thread about Carnation Instant Breakfast from January of this year, read thru it for my longer explanation:

https://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/index.php?showtopic=55044

Here's their FAQ page:

I adored the stuff back 25 to 30 years ago and was bummed to see it had barley in it.

Maybe somebody could send the nutritionist the link.....

Nutritionists can be a bit of a crap shoot. My first one after diagnosis was wonderful, complete with lists and organizations and contacts, local restaurants, key words to look out for ("natural flavorings" "caramel color", etc).

Went again about a month ago to a different one and I knew far more about it (celiac disease) than she did. She was totally surprised (indeed, unaware) at the perils of cross-contamination. Wish I could have gotten my co-pay back!

Moral of that story is you have to be your own advocate. If you can't get definitive enough answers, maybe good to pass it by. Even if the ingredient list looks safe, I'll get online or pick up the phone a verify. And half the time the product turns out to NOT be safe.

• 1 month later...
ering917 Newbie
You will find there is more safe food out there than you realize. Many mainstream grocery items are gluten free. There are shopping guides available, too. These are an excellent resource (I don't know what I'd do without it!). I like the Cecilia's Marketplace grocery guide (Open Original Shared Link), but there is also one out by Triumph (Open Original Shared Link). They are $20-$25 but worth it (simplifies your life, big time).

Plus I've found that if I email (or call) a company, many are quick to send you information on which of their products are safe/unsafe (Heinz, Hormel, etc.). When in doubt (sometimes there's an ambiguous ingredient!) I contact the maker.

I'm cautious about purchasing items that are produced on shared equipment. It doesn't necessarily mean that they ARE contaminated, just that they could be, because it's there. I usually pass it by for another gluten-free item. It's a judgement call -- might be a situation where a phone call to the company would be worthwhile.

On maltodextrin and caramel color, these quotes are from the Gluten Free Living website (Open Original Shared Link):

"Maltodextrin

Maltodextrin is gluten free. It can be made from a variety of starches, including corn, potato, rice or wheat. However the source does not matter because maltodextrin is such a highly processed ingredient that the protein is removed, rendering it gluten free. If wheat is used to make maltodextrin, "wheat" will be appear on the label. Even in this case, the maltodextrin would be gluten free."

"Caramel color

Corn is used to make caramel color in the U.S. The FDA does permit use of barley malt but all major caramel color producers say corn makes a better product."

Hope this helps. It will get easier. After a few months you'll have a pretty good handle on which foods are safe so you're not reading labels for 20 minutes in each aisle! Of course, you know you're safe with meats, potatoes, rice, fruits and veggies, etc.

This helps a lot. Thanks so much for all of the replies!!

GreatGFBaker Newbie

I've been gluten free for about 5 years and I LOVE Carnation Instant Breakfast (especially the high fiber/low sugar chocolate flavor). I drink it about once a week and never had a problem. I am very careful about my diet as I had terrible symptoms before being diagnosed, and I would have had some type of symptom if the CIB was contaminated.

Enjoy!

Archived