This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Food And Symptom Timing

bikingaway

bikingaway Newbie

So I'm new here. I've done a little lurking as I am coming to consider the possibilities of gluten intolerance. I know the symptoms range widely between folks. Mine aren't anything overly done, I've had gas/bloating daily for at least a year. I cut out milk way early on, which helped (dad's lactose intolerant so it was an easy pick-up). But since then, I still get the gas and bloating. The thing is, I'm usually fine in the morning and then it hits after lunch. It's usually within 30 minutes of eating. My question is, that quick an onset post-lunch would point to something eaten a few hours earlier, correct, triggered by the gastrocolic/gastroileal reflexes? At this point, I'm trying daily approaches to diet changes (avoid this veggie, avoid that one, avoid lactaid cottage cheese, etc). These are mostly to please the hubby before we try to fully eliminate gluten. Any help with the question would be great, since if it's a yes, then next step is a pantry overhaul. I've lost a ton of weight (scary low right now, mostly due to excess activity/training vs too few calories), but now gaining is a major issue and I don't know if this is related.

Thanks for all your help. This really is a phenomenal resource.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

digmom1014 Enthusiast

Welcome! It sure is hard to navigate your symptoms when so many of ours are sometimes similar but, different for each of us.

Do you get a gurgling in your stomach immediately after eating? That is how I know I have ingested something that won't agree with me later.

What are you eating in the a.m.? Maybe that will tell you something since you do not seem to have a problem in the morning. Is it just fruit, eggs, or meat?

What I would do if I didn't want to try the gluten-free approach is start listening to my body after I ate nuts, or whatever. It is hard to really eliminate when so many items may be the problem but, I would stick to basics, eggs, fruit, potato, veggies, rice and add something known to bother most of us. (i.e. bread at one meal, soy sauce at another, etc.) See how you feel after the added food.

Hope that helps, but this is the hard part and you have a great start already identifying lactose as a source. (A lot of us have trouble with lactose until we heal)

bikingaway Newbie

Hard is likely an understatement and I commend everyone on taking those steps. But I'm ready for it. Cutting out is basically the hardest at breakfast, since overall, I don't really eat pastas or stuff similar. I'm not even a big rice person. It'll be the little products (soy sauce, etc). My mornings vary, but usually two egg whites and oatmeal or instead of oats I do a mixed cereal (granola/fiber one), and always some form of PB. So I know these could easily be targets and why I wonder if the stuff I feel about 30 minutes after lunch if related to breakfast or to lunch, just to help pinpoint. If it was breakfast, would it show sooner than lunch?

Gobbie Apprentice
Hard is likely an understatement and I commend everyone on taking those steps. But I'm ready for it. Cutting out is basically the hardest at breakfast, since overall, I don't really eat pastas or stuff similar. I'm not even a big rice person. It'll be the little products (soy sauce, etc). My mornings vary, but usually two egg whites and oatmeal or instead of oats I do a mixed cereal (granola/fiber one), and always some form of PB. So I know these could easily be targets and why I wonder if the stuff I feel about 30 minutes after lunch if related to breakfast or to lunch, just to help pinpoint. If it was breakfast, would it show sooner than lunch?

some oats are cross contaminated..it could be that, perhaps?

x

bikingaway Newbie
some oats are cross contaminated..it could be that, perhaps?

x

Oh I totally agree. I'm just trying to determine if the timing makes sense for breakfast related products or lunch, presuming they are. The symptoms happen regardless of oats or cereal (which is DEF NOT safe).

Regardless, today I've embarked on my new gluten-free journey, so we'll see how this goes!

• 7 months later...
Gobbie Apprentice

Oh I totally agree. I'm just trying to determine if the timing makes sense for breakfast related products or lunch, presuming they are. The symptoms happen regardless of oats or cereal (which is DEF NOT safe).

Regardless, today I've embarked on my new gluten-free journey, so we'll see how this goes!

Hope your journey is going well <3

Archived