Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Need Chick-fil-a Fries Feedback

24 posts in this topic

I've read a lot that says Chick-fil-a has gluten-free waffle fries and hashbrowns. We'd love to get some feedback from those of you who have tried them and how it went. My son is newly diagnosed and afraid to chance it. But it sure would be nice to grab something out from time to time if we needed to.

Ads by Google:
I've read a lot that says Chick-fil-a has gluten-free waffle fries and hashbrowns. We'd love to get some feedback from those of you who have tried them and how it went. My son is newly diagnosed and afraid to chance it. But it sure would be nice to grab something out from time to time if we needed to.

Here ya go:

http://www.chick-fil-a.com/#gluten

As with any restaurant, but especially at a fast food restaurant, there is risk for cross contaimation.

I have eaten the fries several times since being gluten-free, and have not had any adverse reaction. Of course that doesn't mean that I never will, since there is always a risk of cross contamination, but it is on my list of reasonably safe choices if I'm going to risk eating out. Hope that helps!

We eat at our local Chick-Fil-A at least 2 times a week. We have never had a problem. We usually get the same thing, chargrilled chicken breast, fries and fruit. They know us and I feel like they are extra careful with our stuff. We always stop at CFA when we are travelling and I have never had a problem with any CFA. Not to say that they are perfect, they have just always been great for us! :0)

We have safely eaten at Chik-Fil-A several times and appreciate that they serve both breakfast and lunch. We try to avoid travel on Sundays since that eliminates them as a choice for road food (they are closed on Sundays). Different restaurants have different policies on being able to order the salads without cheese. We really appreciate the restaurants that can accommodate our "no cheese" request for the salads - some do and some don't.

Here ya go:

http://www.chick-fil-a.com/#gluten

As with any restaurant, but especially at a fast food restaurant, there is risk for cross contaimation.

There is, but Chick-fil-a has about the best set-up I've seen. The fact that they've got a relatively limited menu, ATC, means there's fewer chances for CC than other places. Their grilled chicken isn't marinated, they use dedicated fryers for the nuggets and breaded chicken separate from the fries and hash browns, and everything is factory breaded so there is little gluten flying around [as opposed to KFC, where the very air is not gluten-free]. All told, the fries are generally safe if you double check with a manager first, as are the chargrilled salads. Ask to be safe, but it should not be a problem.

I eat at Chick-fil-a at least once a week and never have any problems. I eat the grilled chicken breast, waffle fries, and BBQ. The only time I had a problem was when the cashier (who was obviously too busy to pay attention to what I was saying) rang up my order as the regular chick-fil-a breast instead of grilled. I ran out of there without checking my order, and when I got back to the office, I realized that I got the wrong chicken. :rolleyes: Other than that, I have had no problems. I am probably doing my waistline no favors by eating french fries so often.

WOW, I can' t believe the positive feedback on this! :) I'm so used to hearing how rest.'s get busy and use the fry fryer for their breaded items too. I'm going to give it a shot.

WOW, I can' t believe the positive feedback on this! :) I'm so used to hearing how rest.'s get busy and use the fry fryer for their breaded items too. I'm going to give it a shot.

I believe they use a pressure fryer for the breaded items. No need to do fries in there.

I take my daughter there almost daily. Never had a problem with their fries. They steam their chicken, does not go into the fryers.

CFA is pretty safe and another reason why I love it is that the CFA that is close to where I will actually make me grilled chicken strips if I ask them to. (It's not a menu item) This is the only CFA that I have come across that does this.

They grill the chicken that they use for the salads. They are thin but you get 4 strips. It is a change up from having to take my chicken off the bun and eat it by itself.

I did email CFA and told them that they would really benefit for making the strips a menu item. They replied back with the statement that I needed to talk to the manager/owner and let him know how interested I would be for that.

Another place that has dedicated fryers (of course we check each one when we go there) is Culvers. I LOVE their food. Their custard (vanilla and chocolate) is gluten-free also. If there is one by you, you must try it.

Barbara

They grill the chicken that they use for the salads. They are thin but you get 4 strips. It is a change up from having to take my chicken off the bun and eat it by itself.

Don't do that. The chicken gets glutenated from the bun whether you eat it or not. I learned that the hard way, though it was at McD's. What you can do at CFA is ask for extra lettuce leaves to wrap it in, though that is rather drippy.

I hate to be Downer Debby, but I got cc'd at Chick Fil A. There was a fried zucchini ball or whatever at the bottom of my waffle fries once. It was a baaa-aaad thing. I shiver to think about it.

And I agree about the bun, do not "peel chicken off the bun". You must not be very sensitive as far as reacting, because that would make me sick.

Reaction or not, food is not gluten free if it has touched a bun.

I eat their fries and hashbrowns all the time. I have NEVER had a problem from ANY of the different locations. Their grilled chicken salad is also safe and very good. HOpe this helps!

Kristin

I found that what they say and how I react are quite different. EVERY time, i give them a chance, i tell my wife.... but they are gluten free! and I ask the people behind the counter, how are the cooked, fried in the same oil as the other items etc? no, they only fry the fries in peanut oil, only used for the waffle fries. then I eat them and my tummy gets hard, hurts and i have bloating and issues. However on a scale of when this happens, i say 7 out ot 10 times. i don't get it. it's a mystry to me. i even though that perhaps it was the katchup! i would love to hear if others have the same issues.

I found that what they say and how I react are quite different. EVERY time, i give them a chance, i tell my wife.... but they are gluten free! and I ask the people behind the counter, how are the cooked, fried in the same oil as the other items etc? no, they only fry the fries in peanut oil, only used for the waffle fries. then I eat them and my tummy gets hard, hurts and i have bloating and issues. However on a scale of when this happens, i say 7 out ot 10 times. i don't get it. it's a mystry to me. i even though that perhaps it was the katchup! i would love to hear if others have the same issues.

Could just be fried food on an empty stomach. I know that's a simplistic answer, but sometimes it's not gluten, it's the fool eating the food. Been there, done that.

The Chick-fil-a in our mall uses a dedicated fryer for their fries, but the one time I ate them I felt pretty sick afterward. Could have been just the grease, but who knows.

I might have to try chick-fil-a fries to see if i get a bad reaction.. Before I had to cut all the gluten out, I would have to go to chick-fil-a at least once a week.. My all time FAVORITE!!! I have had their grilled chicken nuggets, and it was cross contaminated...so if I go in to eat, I will have to try the fries or have special instructions for cooking the chicken strips to see if that helps any..i have ate out twice since going gluten-free...the other time was fries from del taco and cross contaminated as well.

I might have to try chick-fil-a fries to see if i get a bad reaction.. Before I had to cut all the gluten out, I would have to go to chick-fil-a at least once a week.. My all time FAVORITE!!! I have had their grilled chicken nuggets, and it was cross contaminated...so if I go in to eat, I will have to try the fries or have special instructions for cooking the chicken strips to see if that helps any..i have ate out twice since going gluten-free...the other time was fries from del taco and cross contaminated as well.

EVERY time you walk into a fast food restaurant, you risk being glutened or in the least glutened by cross contact. Know this before you blame a company for your illness. Sorry, if I seem blunt, but it's important that you be responsible for your own intake and health.

One personal experience at Chic-fil-A, might not be the next. It's a popular fast food restaurant, with great service, IMHO I don't visit there often, but have been pleased even with the service and the food.

I applaud them for their efforts. :D :D

Here is the current gluten free options:

http://www.chick-fil-a.com/Food/Gluten

AND, I forgot my manners.... Welcome!

EVERY time you walk into a fast food restaurant, you risk being glutened or in the least glutened by cross contact. Know this before you blame a company for your illness. Sorry, if I seem blunt, but it's important that you be responsible for your own intact and health.

Well said, Lisa! We are quick to blame but have to take responsibility when we go to a fast food restaurant (or any restaurant for that matter) and know there's a chance we may get glutened either because of lack of knowledge on the part of employees or unintentional CC. Unless someone lives with celiac, how can we expect them to know as much as we do and the precautions we must take to stay safe.

Well said, Lisa! We are quick to blame but have to take responsibility when we go to a fast food restaurant (or any restaurant for that matter) and know there's a chance we may get glutened either because of lack of knowledge on the part of employees or unintentional CC. Unless someone lives with celiac, how can we expect them to know as much as we do and the precautions we must take to stay safe.

Thanks, and especially for overlooking the typo's too! :P

And please be aware that anything before living_free's post on this thread is nearly three years old.

richard

I posted on this thread back in '09 and can say that I've recently had the waffle fries again, but this time with no issues. :D