23 replies to this topic

#1 tfrankenberger

tfrankenberger

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 05:28 PM

I've read a lot that says Chick-fil-a has gluten-free waffle fries and hashbrowns. We'd love to get some feedback from those of you who have tried them and how it went. My son is newly diagnosed and afraid to chance it. But it sure would be nice to grab something out from time to time if we needed to.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Lisa

Lisa

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,802 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 05:37 PM

I've read a lot that says Chick-fil-a has gluten-free waffle fries and hashbrowns. We'd love to get some feedback from those of you who have tried them and how it went. My son is newly diagnosed and afraid to chance it. But it sure would be nice to grab something out from time to time if we needed to.

Here ya go:

http://www.chick-fil-a.com/#gluten

As with any restaurant, but especially at a fast food restaurant, there is risk for cross contaimation.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#3 caligirl2001

caligirl2001

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 10:50 PM

I have eaten the fries several times since being gluten-free, and have not had any adverse reaction. Of course that doesn't mean that I never will, since there is always a risk of cross contamination, but it is on my list of reasonably safe choices if I'm going to risk eating out. Hope that helps!
Positive response to elimination diet November 2008
Gluten free since November 2008
Dairy free since March 2011

#4 abbysmom

abbysmom

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 05:09 AM

We eat at our local Chick-Fil-A at least 2 times a week. We have never had a problem. We usually get the same thing, chargrilled chicken breast, fries and fruit. They know us and I feel like they are extra careful with our stuff. We always stop at CFA when we are travelling and I have never had a problem with any CFA. Not to say that they are perfect, they have just always been great for us! :0)
1998 - Diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
1999 - Diagnosed with Fibromyalgia
2005 - Gave birth to daughter, began having stomach problems
March 2006 - Had Gallbladder surgery, problems got much worse
March 1, 2007 - Self-diagnosed Celiac after Dr. thought I was crazy!
Went gluten free and not looking back!
Felt better than I have in YEARS!

Philippians 4:13 "I can do all things through Him who strengthens me"

#5 weluvgators

weluvgators

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 05:51 AM

We have safely eaten at Chik-Fil-A several times and appreciate that they serve both breakfast and lunch. We try to avoid travel on Sundays since that eliminates them as a choice for road food (they are closed on Sundays). Different restaurants have different policies on being able to order the salads without cheese. We really appreciate the restaurants that can accommodate our "no cheese" request for the salads - some do and some don't.
My super silly red siren is my guiding light. She has been a tremendous lesson for me in how gluten affects different people in very different ways. She is a super duper silly girl that was simply born that way. I have no idea why I am so blessed to have her guidance.

#6 teacherkd

teacherkd

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 02:46 PM

Here ya go:

http://www.chick-fil-a.com/#gluten

As with any restaurant, but especially at a fast food restaurant, there is risk for cross contaimation.

There is, but Chick-fil-a has about the best set-up I've seen. The fact that they've got a relatively limited menu, ATC, means there's fewer chances for CC than other places. Their grilled chicken isn't marinated, they use dedicated fryers for the nuggets and breaded chicken separate from the fries and hash browns, and everything is factory breaded so there is little gluten flying around [as opposed to KFC, where the very air is not gluten-free]. All told, the fries are generally safe if you double check with a manager first, as are the chargrilled salads. Ask to be safe, but it should not be a problem.
Dx by elimination diet [South Beach--Phase 1, actually] started 16 Feb. 2009, and medical chart review by GP, 10 April 2009.

Also sensitive to broccoli [wt*?], April 1995.

Major presentations: DH; Joint pain in toes, feet, wrists, and hands, Aug. 2004 [negative for gout and RA]. IBS-type symptoms and lactose "intolerance," especially after gall bladder removal, Sept. 2007.

Slowly going bonkers from the dog whacking the back door with his claws, July 2008 to present.

#7 ChickensDon'tClap

ChickensDon'tClap

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 09:48 AM

I eat at Chick-fil-a at least once a week and never have any problems. I eat the grilled chicken breast, waffle fries, and BBQ. The only time I had a problem was when the cashier (who was obviously too busy to pay attention to what I was saying) rang up my order as the regular chick-fil-a breast instead of grilled. I ran out of there without checking my order, and when I got back to the office, I realized that I got the wrong chicken. :rolleyes: Other than that, I have had no problems. I am probably doing my waistline no favors by eating french fries so often.
Valerie

#8 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 11:44 AM

WOW, I can' t believe the positive feedback on this! :) I'm so used to hearing how rest.'s get busy and use the fry fryer for their breaded items too. I'm going to give it a shot.

#9 teacherkd

teacherkd

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 06:52 PM

WOW, I can' t believe the positive feedback on this! :) I'm so used to hearing how rest.'s get busy and use the fry fryer for their breaded items too. I'm going to give it a shot.

I believe they use a pressure fryer for the breaded items. No need to do fries in there.
Dx by elimination diet [South Beach--Phase 1, actually] started 16 Feb. 2009, and medical chart review by GP, 10 April 2009.

Major presentations: DH; Joint pain in toes, feet, wrists, and hands, Aug. 2004 [negative for gout and RA]. IBS-type symptoms and lactose "intolerance," especially after gall bladder removal, Sept. 2007.

Slowly going bonkers from the dog whacking the back door with his claws, July 2008 to present.

#10 luvthelake21

luvthelake21

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 07:50 PM

I take my daughter there almost daily. Never had a problem with their fries. They steam their chicken, does not go into the fryers.

#11 smilemaker

smilemaker

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 05:30 PM

CFA is pretty safe and another reason why I love it is that the CFA that is close to where I will actually make me grilled chicken strips if I ask them to. (It's not a menu item) This is the only CFA that I have come across that does this.
They grill the chicken that they use for the salads. They are thin but you get 4 strips. It is a change up from having to take my chicken off the bun and eat it by itself.
I did email CFA and told them that they would really benefit for making the strips a menu item. They replied back with the statement that I needed to talk to the manager/owner and let him know how interested I would be for that.

#12 sixtytwo

sixtytwo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 08:30 AM

Another place that has dedicated fryers (of course we check each one when we go there) is Culvers. I LOVE their food. Their custard (vanilla and chocolate) is gluten-free also. If there is one by you, you must try it.

Barbara

#13 teacherkd

teacherkd

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 09:34 AM

They grill the chicken that they use for the salads. They are thin but you get 4 strips. It is a change up from having to take my chicken off the bun and eat it by itself.

Don't do that. The chicken gets glutenated from the bun whether you eat it or not. I learned that the hard way, though it was at McD's. What you can do at CFA is ask for extra lettuce leaves to wrap it in, though that is rather drippy.

#14 brendygirl

brendygirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 01:23 PM

I hate to be Downer Debby, but I got cc'd at Chick Fil A. There was a fried zucchini ball or whatever at the bottom of my waffle fries once. It was a baaa-aaad thing. I shiver to think about it.

And I agree about the bun, do not "peel chicken off the bun". You must not be very sensitive as far as reacting, because that would make me sick.

Reaction or not, food is not gluten free if it has touched a bun

Gluten Free since November 2005

"If you want breakfast in bed, sleep in the kitchen.." ---Ed Polish

#15 kvandorselaer

kvandorselaer

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 05:23 AM

I eat their fries and hashbrowns all the time. I have NEVER had a problem from ANY of the different locations. Their grilled chicken salad is also safe and very good. HOpe this helps!

Kristin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: