This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Dummy Award

inmyhead

inmyhead Rookie

I feel so dumb right now! I have been trying to figure out why I have been feeling so crummy lately (like I have been glutened). I knew that I had not eaten anything unsafe. Ha Ha. As I sat here reading the website drinking this new organic drink I found at Walmart, I had an epiphany. I had read the ingredients in the store, but I got distracted and did not finish. I just reread the label and learned that drink has barley and wheat grass in it. Too bad I had already finished drinking it. At least this time it is not in my head. :lol: Please tell me I am not the only one that has a brain lapse every now and then. It is all very ironic, the drink tasted terrible. If I am going get glutened, couldn

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

Everyone has their moments when that happens. Don't beat yourself up about it things like that happen sometimes. Happened to me a few times...just learn from them when you can and try to prevent it next time. But sometimes accidents are inevitable. Did you get a bad reaction yet?

inmyhead Rookie

I do not know how many people are like this. I have had some minor stomach issues already and nausea, but for me, the worst is yet to come. Most of my problems are neurological. Usually the day after I eat something I shouldn't have I get really fatigued, depressed, and extremely irritable. I get so upset over such minor things. This usually last three to four days. Plus my face breaks out in very painful cystic acne. I have been drinking this stuff for a couple of days, and have been having lots of problems. I should have guessed, but I do not usually think of drinks as having gluten in them. I had been trying to figure out what I had eaten wrong, but the only thing I had eaten differently (aside from the drink) was some Hebrew National hotdogs. I know those are gluten free, but I was really starting to wonder. Live and learn. Thanks for your support. It is really nice to share with people who know what you are going through. :D

skbird Contributor

You should see all the shampoo and conditioner I have in my bathroom now! My husband was laughing about it this morning. I have been looking for a gluten/wheat free shampoo and conditioner that don't have any parabens in them. AND to be totally fussy, I want them to be nice to my hair. I have gone through many... still not satisfied but getting there. Anyway, my favorite one I had found didn't seem to say wheat in the ingredients but one day I'm in there reading the flowery prose on the back of the bottle (you know, "You'll feel so radient - like running down flowery slopes to a secret meadow where your shiny hair... blah blah blah") and I see something about wheat. Dumb - I looked at the *ingredients* but not the description. And there is wheat in both. Sigh.

Happens to the best of us (at least I'd like to think that!) :D

Stephanie

Guest Viola

I was having many problems one time a couple years ago. Couldn't figure out what it was. Mom and Dad were visiting, but they were pretty good, and I was watching like a hawk. Then one day Mom and I were sitting having Mom's favourite Lemon tea and Dad was leaning on the counter watching a program on TV and reading the tea box during the comercials. And yup ... The "Lemon Tea" had toasted wheat germ in it! I hadn't even thought to read the ingredients of Lemon tea. Who would have thought they would put wheat germ in it! :o:angry: You know that from then on I read everything :lol: I sure felt dumb at the time though :rolleyes:

Guest gfinnebraska

I did the same thing with Malt-O-Meal Coco Roos. Read on here, somewhere, that they were gluten-free. Took it for gospel ~ DIDN'T even think of actually READING the label (hahaha), and, sure enough there it was: Oats!! First ingredient!!!! UGH!!! Needless to say, my daughter is loving my mistake!! I used them for dessert... she loves them for breakfast! :(

Guest ajlauer
If I am going get glutened, couldn

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

KaitiUSA Enthusiast
To take it to the next level... if you have already glutened yourself, and are already sick, can you have that piece of cake? Or would you get sicker? I'm not gluten-free yet, so it would be a good thing to know!

You would be more sick then you were.That's really not a good idea you get more sick and more damage. Let's put it this way....If you have a car and get into an accident and it gets some damage... does that mean go around and act careless and keep trying to give it more damage?

celiac3270 Collaborator

Sicker? Probably, but perhaps not. But definitely more damaged in the intestines, regardless of whether you feel worse as a result.

luvs2eat Collaborator

I did the same thing a few weeks ago. We made this awesome taco meat and it didn't occur to me to read the many ingredients cause my son-in-law was cooking and he's got the skin form of celiac (hives and only mild intestinal symptoms). I woke up in the middle of the night positive there were WOLVERINES trying to claw their way out of my intestines!! I didn't know whether to sit or turn around, if you know what I mean. I sat... and sat... and sat... and sure enough... both the adobe sauce and the mole in the taco meat contained "toasted wheat bread."

I accused him of trying to poison me as he thinks I "cursed" him to get celiac disease... he found out about his about a year after I did... and as celiac disease didn't appear to be as common as I believe it will come to be... he accused me of cursing him. Hahaha

Guest ajlauer

Kaiti and celiac3270: Thanks for the replies! Excellent analogy too!

Archived