This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten & Mould

Desy

Desy Rookie

Does anyone know if being exposed to mould (i.e., in an apartment) can make your gluten allergy worse?

Obviously mould's not good for anyone, but if there is any scientific evidence out there linking it to worsening of gluten allergy symptoms, I'd love to read it.

I also am wondering: if I've been sick with a gluten allergy most of my life (I've had many symptoms for ~ 20 years but have been undiagnosed), how come all of a sudden my symptoms worsen this past year & a 1/2? I've basically been eating the same foods, living the same life, dealing with similar life stresses.......

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

nora-n Rookie

Yes, and there is even an article in The Lancet about it, and it explains which parts of the mold molecule fit into the gliadin receptor.

I thing you are talking about celiac, not allergy? Different things.

If you do a search here, you might find an old discussion here in this thread about mold and gluten triggering celiac or gluten sensitivity. I posted in it too.

nora

Desy Rookie

Holy smokes. Thanks nora. It's actually in The Lancet as Celiac Disease & Candida Albicans, (not mould [per se]).

OMG, this totally makes sense for me. I am SO ANGRY now. Exactly one month ago, I finally moved out of a basement apartment that was toxic with mould. Mould was almost everywhere -- growing on several doors, the walls, the windows, part of the floor, in the closet, in the fridge, on a chair, on a light, etc. I politely informed my landlord at least FOUR times during my rental period (exactly two years). The idiot denied it and did nothing. Long story; I obviously didn't know much about mould when I first moved in there & obviously shouldn't have tolerated it, nor my landlord.

I got extremely sick (& still am) beginning in the fall of 2007, after living there ~ six mos. I had a feeling it was due to the mould. I have not been able to work (due to me being so sick) for just over a year. Oh, am I ever angry......as I am self-employed and have lost a lot of money this past year (obviously). I'm very glad I'm out of that hell hole now, but I'm just livid at my landlord for his bull.

https://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/index.ph...27679&st=45

nora-n Rookie

Another thing is, some people are genetically more sensitive to mold and have a har d time detoxing from the toxins, there was another thread not so very long time ago here, in a thread about gene test results.

She by accident got the HLA DR tests done, when she really wanted the HLADQ tests done. i did a search for that, using the results, and lo and behold mold issues came up, and lyme disease.

and, in the loooong OMG thread here in the other food intolerance etc. folder, it turned out that one person there just could cope with borrelia infection, but got very ill with lyme after unbeknownst buying a new bed that turned black with mold. All those beds did.

She then had to figure out what was wrong, and gluten turned up, and most people ill with lyme do not tolerate gluten it turns out.

But the trigger here was mold too.

If you search for the HLA DR thread where I also posted, there might be some other places to read for you, so you can figure out if you have other issues, and how to get better.

And, it might be neccessary to go strictly gluten-free and yeast-free until things resolve, unless you have proper celiac in which case you need to stay gluten-free.

(it is possible to have temporary gluten intolerance becuse of mold issues or lyme disease, in which case the ttg tests are only slightly positive but the biopsies are negative)

there should be more about mold issues at lyme forums, likelymenet, try the search function, and there are tests, and they might tell you how to get better. Clearly you need some help now, since moving from the flat did not resolve everything.

nora

nora-n Rookie

Here is a thread that morphed into a mold thread: https://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/index.php?showtopic=53996

you can also type " site:www.betterhealthguy.com mold " in a google search window

Schaller has some things about mold on his website Open Original Shared Link

Archived