This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

New To Celiac - How Careful To Be About Trace? How To Avoid?

syren4444

syren4444 Rookie

I've been avoiding major gluten for years, basically know wheat or processed foods, though I did eat oats and some barley. This was a weight loss choice, not gluten allergy related.

Now I found out I'm celiac (95% sure), and need to avoid all gluten, trying for about 4 months perfect compliance.

Thing is, I eat out very often, I've started telling the waiters I'm allergic to gluten and cannot have any wheat in my dish. But, how strict do I need to live? Can crumbs really effect me? Like yesterday we got served raw veggies in a bowl with pretzels next to them. I ate the carrots, but leaning next to the pretzels, is that too much contact for celiacs?

My biggest problem is I can't tell if I've been 'glutened'. I have been living with mild symptoms (rashes, bloating, gas, cramps, headaches, muscle aches, tired, etc) that I always attributed to other things and never noticed the food connection. So since my symptoms are varied and mild, I can never tell if it is directly gluten related. Also, I haven't eaten bread or cake or something obviously gluten in years to know.

Also, where is the best lists to look for foods with possible contamination? I know the obvious gluten containing foods, but saw someone mention tea . . .never thought that was possible. So, best lists out there?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mattathayde Apprentice

for basically all celiacs that s probably to much contamination. you dont know know if your glutened now because your body still has it in and is desensitized, once you go fully gluten free you will be able to see what the gluten is doing to you.

some celiacs are ok with a bit of cross contamination while others get really sick from using the same dishes even after they are washed (while that extreme sensitivity is some times debated if its really contamination from that or from hidden contamination or other issues)

there are some lists out as to what is gluten free but basically the easiest way is to eat things that are natural and unprocessed so you dont have to worry about it. anything that has wheat, rye, barley, spelt, or is derived from them (malt/ malt extract is a big one) is totally off limits. some people even say white vinegar is bad (i personally use it some and think its secondary reactions they are having) and any alcohol made from any of those things are off limit even the distilled liquors (many people just avoid them since there are so many other alcohols that can be had that are made from safe sources, but of course almost all beer is off limits). some of the hidden stuff is in natural flavors and carmel color (color in the US is safe) and most natural flavors are pretty safe but some people wont touch it

as to the eating out, most celiacs dont eat out a whole lot, or if they do it is because they have found a safe place that works well with them. i would suggest not eating out for the first month or so of going gluten-free just to help kick out all the gluten and to be safe

-matt

sharkmom Apprentice

It amazes me how sensitive some people are. I can't imagine it. I was thinking the same thing as far as how much causes reaction. I have gluten allergy as far as I know, but I chew Orbit gum that contains gycerol, natural flavoring, etc. Should I not be chewing it?

mattathayde Apprentice
It amazes me how sensitive some people are. I can't imagine it. I was thinking the same thing as far as how much causes reaction. I have gluten allergy as far as I know, but I chew Orbit gum that contains gycerol, natural flavoring, etc. Should I not be chewing it?

no, not unless you see a reaction from it. glycerol is glycerine (basically plant fat), and the natural flavoring, some people avoid it like the plague but for some things you just need to decide if it is a worry or not, in gum i wouldnt worry personally

-matt

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Your biggest risk with this gum is natural flavors. Your best bet is to call the company and ask if it contains wheat, rye or barley or any of their derivitives either in the product or the production process. That should get a better answer than just asking is it gluten free.

Archived