This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Anyone From Missouri?

ohsroac

bbuster Explorer

....I went to Mama Jean's today on Republic Rd and I must say that I was totally overwhelmed! ... The main thing I wanted to find, that my local store didn't have was pancake mix and flour. I honestly don't understand the flours and why we have to use so many different ones. I also didn't find any flour...I think I must have been missing it :(. I did find the pancake mix and I'm thinking I must try it out this weekend! Anyone have any ideas on the flours? I found a soy flour at a local to me store, now if I could just figure out what to do with it. HELP Please!

I have been to Mama Jeans maybe 5 times total (in 5 years). I went just last week and bought some Udi's bread, which my son liked. But honestly, while they are big on organic foods, etc. I really don't find the gluten-free things I use there. I think Akins (on Battlefield) has a much better selection of the gluten-free things I use regularly. To save money, I buy the flour staples at the Asian markets - they only carry rice, potato and tapioca starch (maybe soy too, but I don't use that). These I can all get for about $1/lb, more or less. If I am in the neighborhood, I go to the North Town Wal-Mart and buy a few things there (sorghum flour, pretzels, breakfast bars, almond flour) and then I get everything else at Akins (Pamela's mix, garfava flour, egg replacer, oreo-type cookies).

I mostly mix up my own flour mixes - I'm very fond of Bette Hagman's Featherlight blend, and I like Pamela's Baking & Pancake mix a lot, but it is expensive so I go back and forth.

Also, our local Price Cutter sells this Maple Grove gluten-free pancake mix that we like a lot - have not used it for anything but pancakes, while the Pamela's is versatile for a lot of things.

With regard to soy flour, it can have a strong taste, so if I had some I would just use a little at a time and blend with something else.

And in general, check out Bette Hagman's cookbook The Gluten-Free Gourmet Bakes Bread - it has a nice explanation on all the different flours. They have this in the Greene County Library system.

Final note: many flours should be kept refrigerated for best shelf life, so some stores keep them there.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

bbuster Explorer

Hi. I am also from Missouri, about 1 1/2 away from Springfield. I was diagnosed with Celiace Disease about 6 weeks ago. I am noticing a big difference in how I feel. I am just looking for friends that understand my excitement over learning something new, making a new connection about things/my condition, or finding a new food I can eat.

Speaking of excitement... I found a recipe today for a rice pizza crust and had pizza again for the first time in 6 weeks. It wasn't perfect, but by gosh it was Pizza! LOL

When my son was diagnosed, pizza was the thing he missed the most, so I made it my quest to learn to make a good one. After many, many different recipes, I came across Bette Hagman's recipe from The Gluten-Free Gourmet Bakes Bread. It has a lot of ingredients, so that can be intimidating, but it ended up being the best - by far - of all we tried. My son loves it. I mix up a batch of the dry mix and keep it in the pantry at all times. I make this about every other week - I always make a double batch and make extra crusts that I freeze after the first bake, to use when I have less time. Whenever my son has a friend over I make this pizza for everyone, and everyone loves it.

dmetria Newbie

When my son was diagnosed, pizza was the thing he missed the most, so I made it my quest to learn to make a good one. After many, many different recipes, I came across Bette Hagman's recipe from The Gluten-Free Gourmet Bakes Bread. It has a lot of ingredients, so that can be intimidating, but it ended up being the best - by far - of all we tried. My son loves it. I mix up a batch of the dry mix and keep it in the pantry at all times. I make this about every other week - I always make a double batch and make extra crusts that I freeze after the first bake, to use when I have less time. Whenever my son has a friend over I make this pizza for everyone, and everyone loves it.

Thanks, I will keep that in mind for the summer. Finding anything but Soy flour has been impossible so far, locally. I know of a few places to try that are a distance away, but for now I'm just keeping it simple. I did order a few things from a website and I can't wait to get them in. I hope it proves to be as good as I hope. It's just me at home now, so I try not to do a whole lot of cooking, altho I should.

On a diff note...I did notice my first msg had a missing word, I am 1 1/2 hours from Springfield. (I forgot hours...lol) I don't regularly shop in Springfield, but if I head that direction, I certainly plan to ask for a few places to check out.

I do have another question for anyone... I seem to be able to eat most dairy just fine, but when I drink milk, I get sick. Does this make sense to anyone? I go back to the Dr. in early May so I plan to talk to him about it. I don't want to give up dairy on top of everything else, but I'm so encouraged by feeling better.

sunnybabi1986 Contributor

I do have another question for anyone... I seem to be able to eat most dairy just fine, but when I drink milk, I get sick. Does this make sense to anyone? I go back to the Dr. in early May so I plan to talk to him about it. I don't want to give up dairy on top of everything else, but I'm so encouraged by feeling better.

I have this same problem. I can tolerate small amounts of cheese, yogurt, and ice cream, but milk makes me sick pretty quick. I think I read somewhere that people with lactose intolerance find dairy liquids to cause more a reaction than dairy solids because liquids pass through your intestines faster, giving your body less time to try to break down the lactose. With the solids, your body has a bit more time to try to break down the lactose and you don't get as sick.

• 3 months later...
Branny Newbie

SHOP ONLINE FOR ALLERGY PRODUCTS! It may take a few days to come in, but most don't charge a SH Fee and you can Search at home on your PC for the best deals!

I have gone to the specialty stores and they are so over priced, shopping online saves me time, gas, and money in the end. You just have to do some online research... its worth it in the end!

• 1 month later...
Glamma Newbie

So glad to have found this group too. I was just diagnosed two days ago. Colonoscopy and endo set for mid October. My plan is to stock my kitchen so after these tests I can go gluten-free (not supposed to until then). Tracking down the support group in Springfield also. My diagnosis was easy since my birth daughter has Celiac. She found me a couple of years ago for my medical information and it turns out she has been a huge help to me!

• 4 weeks later...
mikejes Newbie

I live in a small town in Missouri.. it takes at least 45 mins to go the movie theater better yet almost 2 hours to go to a speciality store.. anyone else feel like everything takes forever to get too? Its so hard!

My wife has Celiac Disease and we keep our house gluten-free(my choice, just don't want cross contamination). We live in Joplin and have found two great places that we love to get things from. Take Nature's Path off Range Line in Webb City. And probably best bakery in town is called PJ's Bakery in Joplin, MO. She bakes anything from Diabetic food to normal everyday bakery stuff, to closing down the shop on Mondays and cleaning everything and ONLY doing Gluten Free Food on Mondays. She sells Cinnamon Rolls, Cakes, Bread(Sour dough-the best, white, cinnamon swirl), Dinner rolls, hamburger buns, hot dog buns, Pizza Dough(AWESOME-make your own pizza), pie crust, muffins, and all kinds of flavored bread as well. She makes it and can be picked up on Tuesday of each week or she will ship it to you as well. She ships all over the U.S. I'll tell you from not having to eat gluten free(but choose too) that we have found that there isn't anything that taste as good as PJ's. She is wonderful, have your order in by Friday and pick it up on Tuesday. And for like pizza dough it sells for $3, and we can make two pizza's out of one dough. So great price as well. A loaf of sour dough bread is $3.50.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived