17 replies to this topic

#16 gf4life

gf4life

Our family "photo" as drawn by my daughter Hannah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 10 March 2004 - 04:53 PM

I checked out that link above that Richard (lovegrov) posted about the FDA and their definition of natural flavoring. It was interesting. I don't worry so much about the natural flavorings as much as I do about the added broth. There are many meats soaked in broth that DO contain gluten. I am luck that the brand of chicken I buy says gluten free on the package because ALL the brands at the store contain broth.

I recently ate a very simple meal of Bell & Evans chicken and vegetables and developed a migraine immediately afterward. This is one of my possible reactions to gluten, and it was also the first time I had ever eaten this brand of chicken.

Sarah,

If you haven't already checked that link mentioned above you might want to. Read the part about the link between hydrolyzed proteins and MSG. I know I am sensitive to MSG, and it says that when they hydrolyze the meat and dairy proteins they break apart and form MSG. It won't be listed as MSG on the package, because MSG was not added to the meat, it was created in the processing. So maybe that is the reaction you are having and it is not from gluten after all. Just a thought.

God bless,
Mariann
~West Coast-Central California~

Mariann, gluten intolerant and mother of 3 gluten intolerant children

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 seeking_wholeness

seeking_wholeness

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 10 March 2004 - 06:14 PM

Mariann, thanks for that suggestion! I think I'll start tracking my response to MSG, although I don't think I eat very much of it to begin with anymore. I guess that must mean my diet is pretty whole-foods based, finally!
Sarah
gluten-free since November 1, 2003

#18 angel_jd1

angel_jd1

Gluten Free Goddess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 10 March 2004 - 07:17 PM

The Sugar Free ones are gluten-free, but not the regular Halls.

-Jessica :rolleyes:
Jessica
Gluten Free since 12-31-2002!!
Kansas

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: