Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Migraines

• Please log in to reply

Poll: If you have migraines, have they improved since going GF? (25 member(s) have cast votes)

If you have migraines, have they improved since going GF?

1. Yes, I have fewer/they are less intense (9 votes [36.00%])

Percentage of vote: 36.00%

2. Yes, they have gone away! (6 votes [24.00%])

Percentage of vote: 24.00%

3. No, same as always... (10 votes [40.00%])

Percentage of vote: 40.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

32 replies to this topic

#1 skbird

skbird

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 02:44 PM

I was just curious how many of us have migraines. I have had them my whole life - they were misdiagnosed as tension headaches so they never really would go away (no proper meds, diet recommendations, etc). When I discovered I was sensitive to nightshades and stopped eating them 6 years ago they mostly went away, I had one a day nearly every day before then. After that I had them about once a week.

When I went low carb they almost totally went away, but as I added gluten grains back they started up again. I was having terrible ones for about a year there before going gluten free. Now I have only had three in the past 6 months and two were related to a shellfish challenge (obviously didn't pass that challenge!) :rolleyes: The third was due to gluten consumption.

Anyway, have been reading about a link between the two so I thought I'd poll y'all...

Thanks!

Stephanie
Diagnosed by food challenge, 10/04
Gluten-free since 10/04
Gluten-sensitive genes: HLA-DQ 1,3 (Subtype 6,9)
Interstitial Cystitis, 7/07
Fibromyalgia, 6/11

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 04:54 PM

They can be associated with Celiac, but they also run in my mom's family...I get just as many--really more--now than I did before. Oh well--compared to my symptoms before, I'm not complaining ;)

#3 Canadian Karen

Canadian Karen

That Crazy Canuck!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 05:52 PM

I find no difference in frequency from before or after gluten-free. I get them the same.

I get alot of the migraines that are migraines, but not really the pain - i.e. the flashing lights like neon signs shaped like a half moon on the outer sides of my vision, nausea, etc. Other times, I get just the "plain old migraine"..... Never the two together though..... :blink:

Karen
Karen

positive bloodwork, positive biopsy
Celiac, collagenous colitis, hypothyroidism
endometriosis (at age 20)
spinal stenosis (early 20's)

Biopsy August 2006 confirmed complete villous atrophy despite being gluten-free for years and bloodwork within range showing compliance with diet. Doctor has confirmed diagnosis of Refractory Celiac Sprue.
Endoscopy also showed numerous stomach ulcers, have started taking Losec.

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs
Rhiannon 8 yrs
Daniel & Connor 6 yr twin boys......

"Joyfulness keeps the heart and face young. A good laugh makes us better friends with ourselves and everybody around us."
Orison Swett Marden

Laughter is the shortest distance between two people.
-- Victor Borge

"An optimist laughs to forget. A pessimist forgets to laugh."
Tom Nansbury

"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac."
Unknown

#4 Deby

Deby

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 07:12 PM

My migraines were also called plain headaches. I read some medical journal articles and realized I've been having migraines all my life. They are actually getting worse as I get older. They also run in my family. One of my sons gets them too, but not the other son, which is unusual because they are identical twins. I know not all identicals get the same things, but so far, that has been the case.

interesting thread.
Monica
anti-body negative, self diagnosed, Gluten free since March 2001. Two sons (8) also have celiac. Antibody and biopsy positive. I love to cook and after much much experimentation can now get by pretty well!

#5 skbird

skbird

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 07:57 PM

I always figured mine had to be migraines - unbelieveably painful and they took over my life. But I couldn't get a doctor to agree until one gave me a sample of Frova (a med like Imitrex) and my "headache" went away. I don't get any lights or halos, sometimes one has been bad enough I have been nauseated. A lot of the time they feel to me like a layer of acid in my brain and any motion makes it ripple like waves on an ocean or something, thus causing more pain.

I also got them related to my menstrual cycle but not since going gluten free. They don't run in my family, nothing I seem to go through does, though! :D Well, actually my brother has some of the same hypoglycemia problems I do and I'm going to ask he get tested now for gluten sensitivity as well.

I'm just so happy not to have to use Frova - I have a $500 deductable on my insurance for meds and that stuff is $16 a pill for me... :angry:

Stephanie
Gluten-free since 10/04
Fibromyalgia, 6/11

#6 SueD

SueD

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 April 2005 - 04:38 AM

I also had migraines but the key for me was eliminating dairy. Once I did that, the headaches were gone, too.

#7 Guest_barbara3675_*

Guest_barbara3675_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2005 - 06:51 AM

This is a very relevant thread for me....have had migraines for 35 years. It wasn't until going on Topomax plus something to keep my blood pressure very low that they went away. However, I also must say that at the same time, I also got through menopause, which also sometimes helps. I do still get one VERY occasionally, at which time I take Frova when I have it or Imitrex. They are dreadfully expensive so I try to avoid not taking it. Isn't it terrible what they can charge for that stuff? There is a site you can go to in New Zealand and buy Imitrex, but not Frova for less money. It is www.4cornerspharmacy.com . You do not have to have a prescription, you can just order up online with your charge card and the medicine comes in your mailbox. I order my Topomax and one other medicine that I take that is dreadfully expensive through 4Corners and I save $1000 per year over my local pharmacy. As you might presume, I don't have very good prescription coverage on my health insurance. Hope this might help someone. I might even start a thread to this subject.

Barbara

#8 Guest_gfinnebraska_*

Guest_gfinnebraska_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2005 - 07:39 AM

I use to get horrible migraines when I was 13/14 years old ~ flashing lights, numb fingers... then I would throw-up. I was in bed for the day. Horrible pain!! This is going to sound VERY strange to most, but I found that head lettuce triggered them.
After giving up head lettuce, they stopped. Months later I ate a hamburger with lettuce on it (without thinking) and had a horrible migraine. I don't know if it was a puberty issue, but now (since my 30's) I can eat head lettuce without any problems. Strange how the body works!! :blink:

#9 plantime

plantime

My two handsome grandsons

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 06 April 2005 - 07:54 AM

Yep, had a migraine just last night. >sigh< I did not pass the egg challenge, so no more eggs for me!
Dessa

The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you." Numbers 6:24-25

#10 skbird

skbird

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 06 April 2005 - 09:44 AM

Kimberly -

Do you have a sensitivity to sulfites? They were commonly used on things like head lettuce, though are supposed to be illegal now. That could explain why you used to get migraines from eating lettuce but not now. I actually get sick from some lettuce now - have determined it to be the sprays/washes they use with citric acid in them. Makes me have an upset stomach and headache for a few hours then dies out again.

Just a thought.

Stephanie
Gluten-free since 10/04
Fibromyalgia, 6/11

#11 skbird

skbird

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 06 April 2005 - 09:48 AM

Dessa -

Bummer on the eggs! I challenged myself on shellfish this past Feb/March. I tried shrimp first, no noticable reaction. So I waited a week or two and had some crab (my favorite, and worst offender) and by the end of dinner my lips and mouth were sore and raw feeling. The next day I had the burning-acid migraine and sore stomach. Two weeks later I got brave and tried some smoked oysters and post-meal I started feeling like I had a sour stomach but the middle of the night burning migraine finally convinced me. I had been off shellfish for a year.

No more for me!

Stephanie
Gluten-free since 10/04
Fibromyalgia, 6/11

#12 mommida

mommida

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,958 posts

Posted 06 April 2005 - 09:49 AM

I have dirinking smart water, with caclium and magnesium. It has definately helped with migraines and muscle cramps.

I had meningitis fall of 2000, so I went through the 3 year recovery of headaches, and had a past history of migraines before that.

Laura
Michigan

#13 Guest_gfinnebraska_*

Guest_gfinnebraska_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2005 - 10:05 AM

Stephanie ~ that makes sense! :) What would I be eating now that would have sulphites?? Maybe I need to test that... Hmmm...

#14 skbird

skbird

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 06 April 2005 - 10:30 AM

Kimberly -

Well, most wine has sulfites in them. I don't have a list but I looked into it because of my problem with lettuce. But I am certain it's not sulfites that were my problem.

I hope you figure it out! :)

Stephanie
Gluten-free since 10/04
Fibromyalgia, 6/11

#15 plantime

plantime

My two handsome grandsons

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 06 April 2005 - 01:11 PM

It is a bummer to give up the foods we love to eat! My favorite breakfasts were eggs overeasy with toast, and oatmeal with toast. Now I can't have any aspect of either one! Here's to healthier us's!
Dessa

The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you." Numbers 6:24-25

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: