This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Does This Sound Like Anything?

Tangleberry

Tangleberry Newbie

Hi Everyone,

I just joined up, I have decided to go down a gluten-free road to see if I feel any better, I follow a healthy diet which is the reason why I questioned intolerances because I can't possibly have fatigue/constipation etc on what I eat, haha believe me! ;) I should be jumping through hoops - no alcohol, no sugar, no refined foods ... but most of what I eat is like a squirrel ... pumpkin seeds, carrot juice, herbal tea, apples, dried figs, fresh salads, soup, hemp seeds, probiotics, digestive enzymes!!!

So anyway, I just find it a little frustrating because I don't know if i am just trying to blame my dull behaviour away on a bit of pasta - because I do not have super-serious symptoms ... or is that just because i don't eat a lot of the *bad* foods?

The gluten I ate was maybe once a week wholewheat pasta & every other day rye bread for lunch - I do not drink milk, try & avoid cheese but it might creep into somethings.

Anyway, symptoms vary but worst would be constipation considering my diet... unless I just eat soup for days & general feelings of malaise & no energy (but blood pressure is fine) & brain fog & sometimes finding it hard to communicate because it 'hurts'. After a few days of eating fibre rich foods, loads of fresh fruit etc, plenty of water, green tea - I did not have a bowel movement & then after a few days had severe constipation.

I had fish (in breadcrumbs) & homemade chips at a friends - instantly after I ate that I felt sick - achey joints, headache, totally worn out, nausea, never felt so bad - but slept it off & next day I was ok.

Then I cut out dairy, eggs & gluten & did not have any constipation for nearly a week, woohoo.

However now I am not sure what might be the problem, does gluten intolerance symptoms differ from say dairy?

Because I decided to reintroduce a couple of things & I feel I am really *over-reacting* compared to what I was 2 weeks ago. Is this normal?

The other day I had some natural yoghurt, then the next afternoon had really bad bloating & nausea but then felt ok, would it take that long for symptoms to surface or is it supposed to be instant?

I had some fish, in breadcrumbs as a test ... next day i felt ok, went out for dinner at a friends, no obvious gluten except maybe something in the gravy, came home bit queasy & crampy in the stomach but nothing terrible - did eat some apples & seeds but just felt ick. Next day horrid headache, queasy & literally slept all day, felt like i had flu, couldn't move, didn't want to do anything, couldn't face people, felt upset for no reason, pain in wrists & ankles. Next day back on my feet, feeling ok *shrugs*

I have been told I have leaky gut. I think i may get checked to see if i have any intolerances.

I also have psoriasis, which is like eczema - so I guess thats all wrapped up in it.

Sorry to waffle on, I would appreciate any thoughts, if you have any :) Thank you.

I know there have been times I have felt good like on holiday where my diet changed & I could just get out of bed like a normal person ... maybe I want to be gluten-intolerant because I don't want to be a loser on purpose *curls up in a ball* :(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GFinDC Veteran

Well you sound to have some of the common GI problems. Lactose intolerance can cause gas, the big D and C, and bloating, pain discomfort, less ice cream enjoyment etc... So it could just be that, or since lactose intolerance often goes with celiac, it could be that also, or both. Psoriasis seems to be somewhat common with celiac as well. And of course people get dermatitis herpetiformis with celiac too.

So did a doc suggest leaky gut? Oh waffling on is fine, and being sick doesn't make you a loser. That reminds me, I have a Green's Endeavor gluten-free beer in the cooler... That say they are really durn good.

Welcome to the board, we have had several UK people around lately. Wave!

Archived