53 replies to this topic

#46 hrly169

hrly169

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 11:08 AM

I just head about the betty crocker mixes and am super excited. I have one question though, does anyone know about the cross contamination issue with these mixes?

Are they made in a separate facility?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#47 Chrissyb

Chrissyb

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 05:51 PM

To be honest I am not impressed. I don't know if it is because I have to use a butter sub. or what but I have had better cookies for a mix and better cake from a mix too. I have a box of the brownies to try so we will see.
Chrissy

#48 cheriann

cheriann

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 01:05 PM

The Betty Crocker mixes are 3.99 in our area I made the choclate into 18 cupcakes and they
are super good. my next task will be to e mail betty crocker and thank them, on their website there are a bunch of recipes using their new mixes. I think next I will try the pinapple upside down cake it sounds great. Hope they keep well i will know tomorrow if Hubby and i don't eat them all today

#49 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,938 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 04:27 PM

I just head about the betty crocker mixes and am super excited. I have one question though, does anyone know about the cross contamination issue with these mixes?

Are they made in a separate facility?

They are produced in a gluten-free facility--that is printed on the boxes :)

I finally found them at Kroger outside of Houston. I got the yellow cake mix, cookies, and brownies. I made the brownies yesterday using 1/3 cup oil instead of butter, and I added a handful of chopped walnuts. They are as good as I remember Betty Crocker brownies to be--fudgy and moist with no dry edges. I was very impressed :D

They were $4.19 each.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#50 *lee-lee*

*lee-lee*

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 03:50 PM

i found 3 of the 4 (no choc cake :() last week for $3.39. i think the price is totally reasonable, particularly if they are found in regular stores and are quick and easy to make.
5/23/2008 - blood positive for antibodies
6/24/2008 - negative biopsy
8/11/2008 - DQ2 gene present

7/1/2008 - gluten-free
(and dairy-light until 12/1/2008)

#51 Roda

Roda

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 11:45 PM

I found all the mixes at our local Food Lion here in TN. The Food City and Walmart did not have them. I haven't checked Ingalls yet. I bought the yellow cake mix and the brownies. I made the brownies and, with the exception that I'm having oven issues and over baked them slightly, they turned out great. They were chewey and fudgey with chunks of chocolate. They tasted like a regular brownie. My husband who is not gluten free loved them too. He said that noone would know they were different unless you told them and that they did not have that "gritty" taste. I have been making homemade brownies from scratch but they are more cakelike. We loved then!! I can't wait to try the cake. I think I paid around $4.49.

Me:
Celiac disease(positive blood work/biopsy- 10/2008), gluten free oat intolerent, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis/Disease, Raynaud's Disease

DS2(age 9):
celiac disease(positive IgA tTG, no biopsy- 11/2010)

DS1(age 13):
repeated negative bloodwork and negative EGD/biopsy. Started on a gluten free trial(8/2011). He has decided to stay gluten free due to all of the improvements he has experienced on the diet.

#52 Ginsou

Ginsou

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 08:05 AM

Yesterday at an altitude of 7,900 feet I tried the Betty Crocker yellow cake mix and made cupcakes...they came out really, really good. I used Spectrum palm oil shortening as a butter substitute and used a coconut milk frosting, topped with flaked coconut and a maraschino cherry. Non-celiac husband has eaten more than his share of them. The next time, I will try using canola oil. Unfortunately I can't "do" Betty Crocker brownies or chocolate chip cookies, because of dairy and soy issues. I will definitly buy this again to keep on hand for company,grandchildren, etc.

#53 bittykitty

bittykitty

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 11:14 AM

i looked at the ingredients,then the price and turned my nose up.I'll make two of my own at home for that price,thanks.
"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes"Douglas Adams

#54 ranger

ranger

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 08:51 AM

Finally found them at Giant Eagle in Canton, Oh, for $4.29 a box. Seems pricey, but it made 18 cupcakes which is only .24 per. I threw most of them in the freezer so they'll last me forever. Btw, you can frost them and freeze them. I can make a really good gluten-free choc cake, but it is a lot of work. I'm very happy with the product. Now, I need some good store-baught BREAD!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: