This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Jimn'nicks-great gluten-free Bbq In Southcarolina!

Mae1118

Mae1118 Newbie

My family is staying just outside of Charleston, SC this week, and I wanted to let everyone know what a wonderful experience we have had at Jim N' Nick's Bar-B-Q in North Charleston. We have been there twice for lunch so far. The first time, a couple of days ago, the staff there was very kind and helpful with trying to find gluten-free menu items for me (they do not have an actual gluten-free menu). The waiter and the kitchen manager were a little unsure if one of the ingredients in the BBQ sauce contained gluten, so I ended up with a baked potato for lunch, but I was grateful that they were being so careful about it. They did pan-cook a chicken breast for me separately, to serve over the potato with cheese and bacon. The waiter said that they would contact corporate to find out about the sauce, so that they would know for sure. We went there again today for lunch, and it just so happened that the general manager was there that day. He assured us that the BBQ sauce does not contain any gluten, and that none of the meat in their smokers contain any gluten. I was able to get smoked BBQ chicken, which was delicious! I can't wait to go back and try the beef or the pork!

Here is a link to their website: Open Original Shared Link

They do have a lot of breaded and fried things on their menu that obviously would be off-limits, but the smoked meats are not prepared near these things (although I would still make sure to alert the staff of the need for gluten-free before you order, just to help insure any accidental cross-contamination). We were also told that if I wanted to get a sandwich, it would be fine for me to bring in my own bun.

I can't say enough about how kind and helpful the manager and staff were there! I told them I would spread the word that they are a gluten-free friendly restaurant!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

MySuicidalTurtle Enthusiast

That is great and I am glad you shared!

abbysmom Rookie

Been to the Jim 'n Nicks in Destin, FL. Loved it! If you email them they will send you a long list of gluten-free options. Their fried catfish is breaded in cornmeal so it is gluten-free, you just have to double check if it is fried separately. Yummy!

Mae1118 Newbie

Abbysmom - thanks for the info! However, we are back at home in Maryland and unfortunately we don't have Jim N' Nick's here, but I will keep that in mind for the next time we are in the south! I suspect that it is likely that the catfish is fried in the same fryers, but it is definitely worth asking. We had gotten a business card from the manager when we were there, so I plan on emailing their corporate office to tell them how helpful the manager and the rest of the staff were. I also thought I would also ask if they would ever consider offering a gluten-free menu, since they already offer items that happen to be gluten-free to begin with. I figured I would send them contact info for the Gluten Intolerance Group.

BTW - We went there again for lunch one more time before we left and I had the beef brisket - also delicious!

• 1 year later...
Claire2 Newbie

Thanks so much for the Jim and Nick's info. we have found them SO helpful locally - we eat there all the time b/c it's one place everyone likes. i've been too chicken to try the fried catfish...i should have thought to try the board first! i'm going to try it tonight. crackers and fried foods are the two craves it's hard to replace gluten free. thanks again!

Archived