This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Scd Without Dairy And Nuts Anyone?

Yenni

Yenni Enthusiast

I am looking for info on how to do the SCD diet when one can't eat dairy or nuts. Looking for alternatives, books, just some general guidance I guess. I have been trying to look at different SCD pages but can't really find much...

Would be great to talk to someone who is doing a "modified" SCD because of other food intolerances, like myself.

(Also, is NuStevia OK with this diet?)

(I joined the SCD official support group on yahoo. Maybe I can get some help there..)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ms Jan Rookie

I'm doing the SCD, while excluding dairy, honey (and all other sweets) and eggs. Since I can't digest meat or fish, except for chicken and canned tuna, nor any nutflour foods, it means that my diet is very simple: vegetables, non sugary fruits, nuts and then the chicken soup.

It was difficult in the beginning, but now I've gotten used to it, and here after four months I find it's really no problem. Tried making the SCD yogurt for the first time recently, but it didn't agree with my body, so I'm back to no dairy.

I think your greatest difficulty might be the nuts, because the body needs something filling, and whenever I get too hungry, I can always munch on nuts. But perhapsyou can substitute with lentils or beans (prepared accordingly with the book 'breaking the vicious cycle').

For more advice you can also join in on the long thread on SCD running in this forum.

AliB Enthusiast

Hi Yenni.

You can follow the SCD without dairy or nuts. Many of us have found that we can't even cope with some of the SCD 'legal' foods at the beginning and actually trying to persevere with them can sometimes be unhelpful and possibly even contribute to either keeping the damage going, or at least slowing the healing rate.

I think that one thing the SCD can do is help you to understand your body. We spend years ignoring various signs, or not even realising they are signs, and eventually things get to a point where you have no choice but to take notice.

I have been on the diet for well over a year now. It took about 2 months before I could tolerate eggs, about a year before I could really cope with nuts, especially cooked, and I still have a few issues with dairy so tend to keep it to a bare minimum.

I am not sure that dairy is as 'big' a thing as people make it out to be anyway. They do say that breast milk is for babies and cows milk is for calves! A little here and there may not be a problem but a lot of our Western diet revolves around the stuff and between that and gluten people are suffering big time.

I think you will find that most of us are doing a 'modified' version of SCD in one way or another - after all we are all different and react differently to different foods.

What I have found to be very good is supporting and cleansing my liver. I had a major detox recently which was not very pleasant, but I have felt a lot better since and no longer get the pain in my back when I eat. If the liver is clogged, it can't deal with the food we eat and any toxins that are generated, properly.

I too have had issues with some stone fruits - at one point I couldn't eat a peach or nectarine without getting an actual allergic reaction. I couldn't even cut them up for the kids! Apart from tinned or cooked, I haven't had either for years although I may try one in another year or so when my body has had more chance to heal. Apples have given me allergic reactions too but I seem to be ok with them now. I have one for my breakfast every morning.

I don't react to all stone fruits - cherries are ok, although I think they are the same family, and strawberries are too apparently but I seem to be able to cope with a few of those.

As Jan suggested, why not jump in to the last page of the SCD thread - we are all supporting each other on the diet - what ever version we are following!

GermanMia Newbie

Hi Yenni,

I agree with Ali - just jump into the main SCD thread :-)

Actually I think that following the SCD without nuts and dairy is no problem at all as long as you can eat meat, fish, eggs, fruits and vegetables. After following the SCD very strictly for some time I had to modify it, too, because I had to cut out nearly all vegetables and all fruit except some cranberries due to fructose intolerance and several other things due to histamine intolerance. That means that I'd basically be limited to meat, fish, very few eggs, scd yoghurt, corn salad and chard. If I were overweight, maybe that would be fine - kind of Atkins diet, so to say... But as I'm extremely underweight and my body fat content is only 8 percent, I need some sources for carbs or my muscles will digest themselves. After lots of research and lots of trial and error I found that I do fine with flax seed, small amounts of rice, tapioca and millet and small amounts of rice syrup. So while mostly following the scd, I substitute the fruit and vegetables with small doses of starches and rice syrup, combined with flax seed for fiber, and do fine with that - my digestion is perfectly normal now.

If you don't have to cut out fruit, vegetables and maybe legumes, it's absolutely no problem to follow the scd :-)

Archived