4 replies to this topic

#1 Cinnamon7778

Cinnamon7778

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 06:55 AM

Has anyone ever read or tried Dr. Adamo's " eat Right for Your Blood type? I've had this book for years and I just recently noticed that moost of the foods related to my blood type correspond to those that are benficial and those that are not. He also has a website http://www.dadamo.co...ebase4/receipes that cooresponds to foods you should eat for your blood type. Give it a look over you may find something useful.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Mother of Jibril

Mother of Jibril

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 07:23 AM

I owned that book about ten years ago...

If you look through all the types, you might notice that he tells everyone to eat more fruits and vegetables and avoid processed foods. IMO, that's the key. Nobody should be eating lots of Twinkies!! I don't know how much of a difference it makes to eat more meat, less meat, more seafood and less red meat, certain types of vegetables and fruit, etc... I don't see anything miraculous in his suggestions.
Gluten free 08/08
Son has IgE allergies to peanuts and corn
Hashimoto's, MCAD, pregnancy loss at 17 weeks
HLA-DQB1*0302 (celiac), HLA-DQB1*0301 (gluten sensitive)
Serological equivalent 3,3 (subtype 8,7)
Extensive family history of autoimmune disorders and related symptoms

#3 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 06:50 AM

IMHO, ERFYBT is baseless (except for the part about eating more healthful foods). As was pointed out years ago, if 5 million people read and follow this diet, it is, of course going to be right on for a certain percentage. Voila!!! It works -- for those people!!! Never mind that it's completely off base for a majority. IOW, if tell 100 people to stop dairy and they'll feel better, odds say that, I don't know, five will feel better. To those five I'm a genius.

richard

#4 AliB

AliB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 03:59 AM

Personally, I am of the 'don't knock it until you've tried it' kind of school.

I actually rooted out my books a few weeks back and have been looking through it again. I never really got into it the first time round, but I think that like a lot of these diets there are elements of truth in them all even if no one has it all right all the time!

It is interesting that some groups should not be having not only wheat and dairy but also things like soya and corn. What is it that those who are gluten-intolerant often also react to? Dairy, soy and corn.

Hmmm. Would be interesting to know what Blood Group and secretor status they are just out of interest.

I thought I was an AB but managed to find my records from my first pregnancy to discover I am a B. Haven't a clue on the Secretor status.

Interestingly, being on the SCD has meant that I have already cut out the vast majority of 'avoid' foods for my type so perhaps that in itself may have helped my recovery. I still have a few things that are SCD legal but BTD avoids so may try and tweak the diet to accommodate that and see what happens.
Ali - 50 - struggled with what I now know to be GI symptoms and poor carb digestion for at least 35 years! Diabetic type II (1997). Mother undx Celiac - lifelong diabetic Type 1 & anemic (plus 1 stillborn and 10 miscarriages after me). Father definitely very GI.

Stopped gluten & dairy, Jan 08, but still other issues so dropped most carbs and sugar and have been following the Specific Carb Diet (SCD) since March 08. Recovery slow but steady and I can now eat a much broader range of foods especially raw which are good for my digestion and boost my energy level.

Not getting better? Try the SCD - it might just change your life.........

#5 Tim-n-VA

Tim-n-VA

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 04:39 AM

Knowing that any given diet works for some people and doesn't work for others, this concept held some appeal to me. However, when I read the book, the explanation (different blood types evolving in different parts of the world) didn't seem right to me although I admit I have no background to evaluate that hypothesis.

I didn't see the original article but recently read (AARP maybe??) where he responded to a negative article about his book. His defense was basically "tell that to the people who lost weight on my diet". The response to the the response was that any diet that tells you to remove a segment of your normal diet is going to generate some success stories but that isn't sufficient proof for it being sound science.

My opinion is that almost all of these fad diets work when they happen to sync up with what a person can stick with and fail when it doesn't match. In other words, any fad diet will help some people lose weight and not work for most other people. It really has little to do with the merits of the diet, just what you can live with.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: