This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Do You Avoid These Foods?

sharkmom

sharkmom Apprentice

Very new to this gluten-free diet. Wondering if most avoid foods the are labeled :processed in a facility that also processes wheat. May contain traces. Is it common for cross contamination or do you find it's just a way for companies to protect themselves? I was going to eat some nuts today and didnt because of the label. It seems most say this. Thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

MySuicidalTurtle Enthusiast

I try to avoid these products but not always.

GlutenGalAZ Enthusiast

I think a lot of people on here vary by this question and what they choose.

It has been asked before so you might be able to find some good replies on some of the past posts.

Personally... it depends on the company.

If I try something and do not have a problem with it then I will get it again or something else by that company. If I try something and have a problem then chances are I won't get anything from that company again or I will wait a while (weeks or months) and re-try and see how things go.

Most of the time though unless I really need an item I won't buy items that are made in facilities with wheat. I think its mainly b/c I don't get glutened at home and I really like how I feel now so I avoid the possible CC or glutening.

You can look at it different way:

1.) The company is trying to be nice and point out the facility or lines are shared (some clean them really good between batches and still put this as a safety thing)

2.) At least the company is pointing out wheat is processed in the facility / on the lines.

There is probably A LOT of products out there that are made in shared facilities and it isn't being noted.

Hope this helped some.

GOOD LUCK

Crayons574 Contributor
Very new to this gluten-free diet. Wondering if most avoid foods the are labeled :processed in a facility that also processes wheat. May contain traces. Is it common for cross contamination or do you find it's just a way for companies to protect themselves? I was going to eat some nuts today and didnt because of the label. It seems most say this. Thanks

It is kind of a personal choice. I, personally, choose to avoid products that have that label. Unless, it says they are routinely batch-tested for gluten or something. It's better to be safe than sorry, though.

tarnalberry Community Regular

Definitely a personal choice. This isn't one that we can tell you "the right answer", but rather one you have to figure out for yourself.

For the vast majority of items, I am fine with "produced in a facility that also processes wheat..." That statement does not mean shared lines, just a shared building. If you ever have had bread in your house, your kitchen in a "facility that also processes wheat..."

For many items, I am also fine with "produced on shared equipment that also processes wheat...". While that does mean shared lines, there are requirements about cleaning lines between runs of foods that *should* eliminate contamination. After all, if you've ever had a piece of bread on your counter, anything else that touches that counter is "produced on shared equipment that also processes wheat...". BUT, if I ever suspect that I have an issue with such a food, it goes on my do-not-eat list immediately. No second guesses, just "boom, you got all the trust your going to get, and that was a fail". :)

mattathayde Apprentice

for me most of the stuff that is made in the same facilities i will go with, if i know its shared lines i probably wont. some people are really sensitive (or have other undisclosed sensitivities that make them think its gluten when its something else, thats my view on it at least because i feel some of the extreme reactions are misinterpreted)

basically, get to where your not sick and then try it

the other view on it is "OMGZZZZZZ NEVER YOUR GOING TO POISON YOUR SELF ARE YOU KRAZZZYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY" (maybe im being insensitive but ive just gotten a bit tired of people blaming getting sick on a cross contact that just is so illogical, unrealistic)

-matt

larry mac Enthusiast

I never worry about it and haven't had a problem in 2

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Gfresh404 Enthusiast

Some are obviously more sensitive than others. But I would consider myself very sensitive and will eat on same lines if the company specializes in it. For example, Amy's and Van's produce products for people with special diets. While Lay's does not. I also don't worry if they're produced in the same facility. I only worry about shared lines if the company can not assure me that they are cleaned properly.

OptimisticMom42 Apprentice

I've given up on the shared line items for now because I got glutened eating some walnuts that were labeled this way.

Archived