This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Mama's Italian Restaurant

minibabe

minibabe Contributor

My wonderful boyfriend just to me to an amazing restaurant. It is called Mama's and it is on Montauk Hwy. The manager was so enthuastic to talk to me and personally made me garlic bread and regular. He is also creating an entire menu to be gluten-free, he gave me a sneak peak of it. I also had a piece of cake for the first time in I dont even know how long. It was Cheese Cake, and it was really good. The service was wonderful and I cant wait to go back there and try some of the food off the new menu. I would def. recommend anyone to go there, and they use tinkyada noodles so everything tastes great!!! if anyone wants directions, just let me know.

HAPPY EATING!!!! :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest Addicted2Gluten

I just went to Mama's Italian Restaurant (Oakdale, Long Island) and the food was excellent. They now have a 3 page gluten free menu with a variety of choices of appetizers, soup, salads, pastas, entrees,and dessert. First they give you a few slices of gluten free white bread. It was absolutely delicious and tasted very close to the real thing. Then I ordered a caesar salad with croutons. Although, they don't give you the caesar dressing on the salad (they give you balsamic) it really tastes like a good caesar salad and the croutons were amazing. Then I had for my entree eggplant parmesan over ziti which was great. As far as the entire menu goes:

Appetizers: Pretty much traditional gluten free food (such as tomatoes, mozzarella, etc.)

Salads: they had 3 different types of Caesar salad and two other tossed salads.

Soups: the soups were pasta faglioli, lentil, and one other that I can't remember.

Pastas: spaghetti and ziti with a variety of different sauces

Entrees: Eggplant dishes, meats, fish

Dessert: cheesecake and rice pudding.

The owner also mentioned that soon they will be having Wednesday gluten free pizza nights where they will sterilize the entire ovens so that there is no cross-contamination and devote the night to gluten free pizzas. He said that he has already tried them out and they taste like "real" pizza.

• 2 weeks later...
augie Newbie

We ate at Mama's tonight for the first time and it was terrific! How nice to have a real menu (3 pages) to look at! I had fried calamari for the first time in a very long time. The selection of entrees was great with a lot of variety. If you're gluten-free on Long Island, try it.

Rikki Tikki Explorer

Are there any of these resturants in Northern California?

celiac3270 Collaborator

Great! gluten-free restaurants (or restaurants w/ gluten-free menus) are just springing up in NY! :D

• 2 weeks later...
Rikki Tikki Explorer

You guys are so lucky! It's so hard to find gluten-free restaurants here in Northern Ca.

There was a post about frozen meals (mainstream) that now had gluten-free food. Does anybody know how to find that post?

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
kerrera Rookie

I took my mom to Mama's on Mother's day and it was incredible! The owner came over to our table every 10 inutes to see how we liked things and just to talk about gluten-free food. I gave him a bunch of new info and he's even going to try and order gluten-free beer!!!!!! He's VERY open to whatever suggestions you may have. The food was amazing and I'm italian so take it from me. My mom is a fabulous cook and ate gluten-free just for me and loved it! She's even goin to go back there without me. The calamari was especially yummy. I think I ordered everything on the menu and ate the leftovers for three days. It's worth it :D

Everyone go!

Kristy

Oh, and I told him that he should read this forum and read about his praise. He was really excited!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 2 years later...
plditeach Newbie

:lol:We have two people in our family that must stick to a gluten-free diet. It has taken well over a year after diagnosis for my mother-in-law and daughter to get back on track and feeling better. I see how difficult this way of life can be, and going out to dinner adds to the negativity. Although many of the chain restaurants have jumped on the bandwagon to accommodate people with celiac disease, it is not easy to find a private, down-home restaurant that can provide gluten-free dishes.

Well, thanks to this forum . . . and the wonderful reviews I found after googling . . . we went to Mama's Italian Restaurant: 1352 Montauk Highway, Oakdale, NY! It couldn't have been raining any harder last night, but . . . WOW. . . was it worth the trip!

We were a party of ten for my mother-in-law's birthday. It is not any easy task to convince her to go out to dinner these days because she feels very limited and doesn't want to bring everyone down. That being said, when we asked for their gluten-free menu . . . we could not believe our eyes! It was as big as the regular menu! The variety of choices were vast and it was as if we were reading the regular menu! As we read the menu, the managers, John and Tanya, greeted us and reassured us that everything is done completely to the needs of customers with celiac disease. They continued to visit us through the evening with friendly and interested conversation. Who does that these days?

From homemade bread and gluten-free beer (which brought a smile to my daughter's face...she IS of age!) . . . to appetizers, pasta dishes, pizza, and an unbelieveable selection of desserts, we ALL had a phenomenal dinner and the best time as a family in a long time! I think my mother-in-law was in "food heaven"!

When we asked John how he got started with preparing gluten-free dishes for his menu, he simply stated that he just wanted to accommodate a customer . . . and it grew from there. He said he truly enjoys making these customers happy. He likes to see them smile over being able to enjoy food again . . . and, we all commented that he has a great smile, too!

John, Tanya, and all the staff at Mama's Italian Restaurant in Oakdale have our sincere thanks! They will be seeing us often, and we plan to order some catering from them for our daughter's graduation party, as well!

PS: There are two Mama's in Oakdale. . . so do be sure to make sure you are going to the Mama's with the gluten-free menu! That is why I mentioned the exact address above!

Archived