#1 Cinnamon7778

Cinnamon7778

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 06:45 AM

Good morning everyone,

So its been about a week since being on the wheat, gluten and soy free diet. Yesterday, I went to a healthfood market and I purchased a rosted veggie pie that was wheat, soy and gluten free. I asked the gentlemen if there were any other ingredients that I should know about and of course he said NO. Well, alittle while after eating the pie my stomach felt like hot burning acid and painful. I called the store and spoke the chef and of course he assured me that it wasn't the pie. He gave me a run down of the ingredients and at the end of the list he stated "black pepper as an ingredient". I was shocked. How could a healthfood store not know that black pepper is not good for the digestive system; red pepper is best!! this ingredient is a definite NO No especially for ME. My stomach is still chruning and burning and its sour but not as bad as yeasterday. Also, I am very tired and itching all over inclluding anal. Despite the above I am ok because it could be worse. Does anyone else experience the above symptoms or is it just me!! Please respond!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,070 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 08:15 AM

How could a healthfood store not know that black pepper is not good for the digestive system

Well, this is a new one on me, for sure. I have only ever heard the opposite; that black pepper actually improves digestion. Where did you get this idea from?

If you are in the early recovery stages of celiac disease, it is common to react to just about anything while the system heals.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 leadmeastray88

leadmeastray88

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 08:46 AM

Good morning everyone,

So its been about a week since being on the wheat, gluten and soy free diet. Yesterday, I went to a healthfood market and I purchased a rosted veggie pie that was wheat, soy and gluten free. I asked the gentlemen if there were any other ingredients that I should know about and of course he said NO. Well, alittle while after eating the pie my stomach felt like hot burning acid and painful. I called the store and spoke the chef and of course he assured me that it wasn't the pie. He gave me a run down of the ingredients and at the end of the list he stated "black pepper as an ingredient". I was shocked. How could a healthfood store not know that black pepper is not good for the digestive system; red pepper is best!! this ingredient is a definite NO No especially for ME. My stomach is still chruning and burning and its sour but not as bad as yeasterday. Also, I am very tired and itching all over inclluding anal. Despite the above I am ok because it could be worse. Does anyone else experience the above symptoms or is it just me!! Please respond!

Pre-ground black pepper could have gluten in it, believe it or not, as a filler! I've found this with certain pre-ground peppers. I buy the pepper corns and put them in a grinder.
~Kim~ Gluten-Free since July 2008
9 inguinal hernia surgeries in 3 years (2004-2007)
Symptoms Pre-Dx: constant abdominal cramps, acid reflux, nausea, vitamin B12 deficiency, chronic constipation, fatigue, hyperhidrosis, migraines
July 7/08 - tTG 1 (+>4) - Diagnosed with IBS, given Rx, sent home to "relax"
Gastro refused biopsy as I had "already been though enough"
Enterolab Results (Aug 2008) - Fecal Antigliadin IgA 11 (Normal Range <10 Units)
HLA-DQB1 Molecular Analysis, Allele 1 0202
HLA-DQB1 Molecular Analysis, Allele 2 0301
Sept/09 - New GP gave Celiac Dx based on response to diet and family history
National Celiac Disease Conference 2010 Volunteer

#4 yolo

yolo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 09:30 AM

Dear Cinnamon,
I just wanted to let you know that apart from the pepper cross contamination with gluten is/was very possible and very likely. Unless this was in a bakery/store specifically aware and dedicated, I doubt they made the pie in a completely separate area with bowls and pans and chopping block etc. never used for gluten and baked it in a gluten free dedicated oven. I suggest you look up cross contamination and how to avoid it on the search engine here.
Bea
Diagnosed celiac sprue as infant: failure to thrive & pneumonia-back on grains age 4. Began herbs 1971 combating chronic kidney disease/general ill health 1973. Avoid wheat family and "allergens" by 1980. Late 80's doc. diagnosed candida: cave-man diet. Diagnosed degraded myelin sheath 2006; need co-enzyme B vitamins. Discovered celiac fall 2007; finally told diagnosis as infant. Recently found I am salicylic acid intolerant. Ironically can't tolerate most herbs now. Can now eat brown rice & other gluten-free grains (except corn) & even maple syrup & now homeopathic medicine works! Am still exploring the shape of this elephant but I've made progress!

#5 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,802 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 10:11 AM

Pre-ground black pepper could have gluten in it, believe it or not, as a filler! I've found this with certain pre-ground peppers. I buy the pepper corns and put them in a grinder.

What was the gluten source of your pepper? I have never seen gluten in ground pepper. And certainly if it were wheat it would be required by law to be listed.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#6 Crayons574

Crayons574

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 11:46 AM

I have not been gluten free that long...but I've noticed that as my GI tract is healing, I am super sensitive to almost everything as well....and that includes spices. So, I have to eat very bland food or else my stomach will get upset. So, you could've either been cross-contaminated, or perhaps your stomach still very sensitive right now.
1 Corinthians 6: 19-20, "Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body."

#7 ang1e0251

ang1e0251

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 11:57 AM

I have never had an issue with pepper, black or red. I would be surprised to learn preground pepper had gluten. I buy the cheapest kind and I eat some every day. Can you supply a source for the wheat in pepper?

#8 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 07:32 PM

"Pre-ground black pepper could have gluten in it, believe it or not, as a filler! I've found this with certain pre-ground peppers. I buy the pepper corns and put them in a grinder."

Which ones please. I've never ever heard of this. Every pepper I've ever seen is just that -- pepper.

richard

#9 RiceGuy

RiceGuy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 05:10 AM

Well, this is a new one on me, for sure. I have only ever heard the opposite; that black pepper actually improves digestion. Where did you get this idea from?

Indeed. I've read it is good for the digestive system too. But allergies and sensitivities are another matter, and a leaky gut can make a person react to practically anything.
A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

#10 missmellie

missmellie

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 08:42 PM

Good morning everyone,

Hi, Cinnamon. I know the original post was a long time ago, but I just read it this evening after doing a search because I'm looking for a substitute for black pepper. Yes, I cannot handle it, either!! I hope you are able to eat it safely again, but if not, at least you know there is someone else who can't have it, either. :)

Miss Mellie

Aug. 2010 IgA+ Gliadin; IgA+ Casein; IgA+ Egg; IgA+ Soy.
Sept. 2010 IgG+ for cow's milk, peach, yeast, chili pepper, egg white & yolk, lentil, soy, cola nut, coriander/cumin/dill, nutmeg/peppercorn, sesame seed, turkey, and wheat

Hypothyroidism, arthritis, GERD, overweight, chronic sleeping issues

#11 Takala

Takala

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 08:51 PM

Miss Mellie, that's quite a list :unsure: of "avoids." Things that are "hot" that are not on your list, include ginger root, horseradish, and wasabi powder, if you could find it gluten free. Radish is also spicy. Have you ever had radish sprouts, they have a sort of kick to them like pepper.

#12 Monael

Monael

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 09:36 PM

Maybe you are just sensitive to black pepper? I use it all the time and I sprinkle LOTS of it on my food. I love pepper! But I eat a lot of spicy food so pepper to me is fairly mild.

#13 Sake Rooskie

Sake Rooskie

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 09:12 AM

I'm thinking that pre-ground black pepper, the kind most people put in their pepper shakers and use for meat rubs, etc., could very well be cross contaminated by the mills they use to grind it. I buy spices from Penzey's (penzeys.com) and I'll call them and ask if they have commercial spice grinders which are dedicated to non-gluten products. I can't think of an instance where they have wheat in their spice blends, but I'm going to make certain.

Interesting topic!

Sake Marlene

#14 Rick-O-Shay

Rick-O-Shay

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 11:02 AM

Good morning everyone,

Well, in all fairness, black pepper does not bother most people. Personally, I would not have stated it as being an irritant unless you asked me if there was any pepper in it.

#15 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,606 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 11:22 AM

Black pepper is full of salicylates, which some people are sensitive to. But then again, so are most veggies and fruits, so if you can eat them without being bothered, that is probably not it.

I think it is more likely that you have an actual allergy to black pepper. Here is a small excerpt about it from Livestrong.com:

Other Symptoms
An allergic reaction to black pepper will cause sneezing along with skin reactions, respiratory complications and digestion symptoms. Skin reaction may include hives, eczema of general skin irritation. Skin rashes may appear on your face, but can also form anywhere on the body. Respiratory complications may include wheezing, trouble breathing, coughing and chest pain. Diarrhea, stomach pain, cramping, vomiting and nausea are common symptoms that can develop in your digestive system.

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: