This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Ttg Iga < 3, Gliadin Iga = 19, What Does It Mean?

wannabeadiva

wannabeadiva Newbie

Posting this here too, I think I mistakenly put it in the "doctors" forum...

I have been severely anemic recently and struggling with several health issues. One of the tests my doctor recently did was a "celiac disease panel". On it, it says that the TTG/IGA is < 3 (which it says is negative on the test; normal is 5-8, and positive is > 8), and the Gliadin IGA is 19 (normal is 11-17).

My doctor wasn't really able to explain this to my satisfaction. They put me on iron to deal with the anemia, and he told me that this test indicates I might have a sensitivity to gluten, and suggested I go on a gluten-free diet to see if that helped with the anemia and to see if it made me feel better.

So am I right in thinking that because the ttg/iga is low that DOESN'T mean I have Celiac's then? Is that right, or can anyone suggest what this might mean, or recommend where you would go from here? I have a follow-up appt with the doctor who did these tests in a month, but until then I am very confused.

Thanks for any enlightenment you can offer.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

This might be of interest to you:

Open Original Shared Link

Selective IgA deficiency (SIgA deficiency)

SIgA deficiency occurs 10 to 15 times more commonly among people with celiac disease compared to the general population [19]. Patients with SIgA deficiency will lack IgA antibodies including endomysial antibody, tTG and IgA AGA. To detect celiac disease in patients with SIgA deficiency an IgG antibody, typically IgG AGA, needs to be performed together with total IgA level. Alternatively, one may screen with IgG anti- EMA or IgG anti-tTG, though these are not widely available. Typically the patient with celiac disease and SIgA deficiency will have a positive IgG AGA and absent total IgA level. This combination should prompt a biopsy, whereas an isolated positive IgG AGA would usually not.

wannabeadiva Newbie

I'm sorry I'm sure I sound like a ninny but I am not familiar with any of this technical jargon yet, so no, I'm not really sure what this means either. Is what the article referring to the same as the Gliadin IGA on my test, which had a value of 19? And if so, is it saying there is a 90% chance then that I DO have Celiac's, even though it's only slightly over the norm? Thanks for helping...

Mother of Jibril Enthusiast

Here's my understanding...

You had a positive test for antigliaden and a negative test for tissue transglutaminase (ttg). The positive test shows that you're definitely intolerant to gluten (antigliaden is an antibody your immune system is producing in response to gluten). Ttg is more specific for celiac disease, but a negative test doesn't necessarily mean you're safe (false negatives are not uncommon). At this point, you have a choice between three options:

1) Ignore the tests and keep eating gluten (not what I would choose ;))

2) Go on a gluten-free diet for the rest of your life

3) Make an appointment with a gastroenterologist to have an endoscopy and see how much damage (if any) there is to your GI system... then choose #1 or #2

Good luck and good health! :)

Foxfire62 Newbie

Only a biopsy can confirm that you are negative for celiac disease. And for that, you have to continue to consume gluten.

But if you're gluten-intolerant, you needn't do a biopsy and can just experience with a gluten-free diet.

Lisa Mentor

The Serology Panel and the Endoscopy/biopsy are not at accurate as we would like at this time, but both can rule Celiac Disease "in", but a negative result cannot rule it "out". Biopsies can often miss effected areas of the small intestine.

Unless you intend to pursue other testing for Celiac, you might want to try the diet and see if you have a positive dietary response, which is a good indicator that gluten is an issue at some level.

wannabeadiva Newbie

Thanks everyone, this was all extremely helpful.

I have started eating gluten free already, so I think I will continue down that path at least until I have my next tests done in a month - that should tell if I'm still anemic, etc. I have to admit the thought of just eating gluten-free rather than getting the scope done has crossed my mind just because I'm not excited about that prospect. :-) But I think I will find a good GI doctor and maybe discuss this with him as well.

Thanks for all the help! Good health to you all as well.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

Once you are gluten free for some time, there is no test that can diagnose you for Celiac. A composite of indicators, blood test, endoscopy, positive dietary response or gene testing, can lead you to a conclusion, but a diagnosis cannot be obtained conclusively. On the other hand, many people here are self diagnosed and they feel quite comfortable with that.

If you have had a history of digestive issues, an endo exams may not be a bad thing to rule out other, more serious issues, if for nothing else, but a base test. The exam is nothing to worry about. They put you to sleep, you wake up and it's over.

dadoffiveboys Rookie
Thanks everyone, this was all extremely helpful.

I have started eating gluten free already, so I think I will continue down that path at least until I have my next tests done in a month - that should tell if I'm still anemic, etc. I have to admit the thought of just eating gluten-free rather than getting the scope done has crossed my mind just because I'm not excited about that prospect. :-) But I think I will find a good GI doctor and maybe discuss this with him as well.

Thanks for all the help! Good health to you all as well.

I had the same reaction you did to the blood tests - only positive to Anti-Gliadin IGA. Every other test and Endoscopy negative. I tested positive for the DQ8 celiac gene and have been on a gluten-free diet for >2 years and feel great! If I eat gluten now though I get a typical 'celiac' reaction - abdominal pain, gas, bloating, diarrhea.

#2 (gluten-free diet) is the best choice and see how you feel. If you feel better I wouldn't go back.

Archived