This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

gluten-free Ingredients In German?

jordanandnadia

jordanandnadia Rookie

Hi all,

I'm traveling to Germany for my sister's wedding in September, and we're having difficulty with the catering company. They want a complete list of the ingredients that I can not have (fortunately gluten-free only), and said the restaurant cards didn't have 'enough information' as to the ingredients they should avoid.

I've asked for just a 'plain' meal, with no sauce, coating, spices or either grilled fish or chicken with steamed veggies and rice, but they won't cook it in the kitchen without a list of ingredients.

Can anyone here help? I'm looking for a list of commonly used ingredients that are either already in German or that we can translate - are there any common spices / ingredients that contains gluten but not clearly labeled?

We contacted the German Coeliac Society and they told my sister she has to pay 50 Euros to become a member to get the list.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much!

Nadia

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

You mentioned that you tried the dining cards and they were not adequate for your needs. I can't help with that. I have listed a link for some that may need some:

Open Original Shared Link

ChemistMama Contributor

They wouldn't even help with a statement like this?

Why don't you go the other way? List what you *can* eat and how it should be prepared, those ingredients only, in a clean pan.

That may make it easier on both sides.

Just as in the US, response to celiac varies...last fall i was at a Christmas Market and the man in front of my husband ordered the roast pork for his son 'glutenfrei', and the person knew exactly what to do.

amber Explorer
Hi all,

I'm traveling to Germany for my sister's wedding in September, and we're having difficulty with the catering company. They want a complete list of the ingredients that I can not have (fortunately gluten-free only), and said the restaurant cards didn't have 'enough information' as to the ingredients they should avoid.

I've asked for just a 'plain' meal, with no sauce, coating, spices or either grilled fish or chicken with steamed veggies and rice, but they won't cook it in the kitchen without a list of ingredients.

Can anyone here help? I'm looking for a list of commonly used ingredients that are either already in German or that we can translate - are there any common spices / ingredients that contains gluten but not clearly labeled?

We contacted the German Coeliac Society and they told my sister she has to pay 50 Euros to become a member to get the list.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much!

Nadia

That sounds strange that they won't cook what you request without a list of ingredients. If you have grilled fish or chicken with vegetables and rice than the ingredients are there - chicken, rice, potatoes etc. What more do they need? I think the brand Schar is German which makes great gluten free food. Maybe if you look at their website they might have some ingredients that can use for your meal.

• 1 month later...
chevraux Newbie
You mentioned that you tried the dining cards and they were not adequate for your needs. I can't help with that. I have listed a link for some that may need some:

I am new to Celiac's disease and to this forum. We are off to Germany & Austria in 2 weeks. Where would I find "dining cards" that you mention.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

NJKen Rookie

This is from the website of the German celiac society (Open Original Shared Link):

Request for the Chef

When going to a restaurant you should (like almost everythere in the world) talk to the staff.

The waiter can bring the following text to the chef in the kitchen:

German

Da ich an einer Unvertr

Archived