Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Soy Protein Vs Soy Lecithin

11 posts in this topic

Hey! Does anyone know the difference between soy protein and soy lecithin? I have isses with soy and try to avoid it. I found a product I wanted to try and it said it contained soy lecithin, but no soy protein. Is it possible that I would be ablet to digest soy lecithin and not soy protein or vice versa, or should I avoid both? Just crurious. Gosh, it seems like soy is in EVERYTHING these days.

Ads by Google:

I called the Rice Dream 800 number and asked about the soy lecithin in their frozen deserts. I was told that soy lecithin was safe for people with soy protein allergy. I have not been brave enough to test it out yet.

I was not aware when I made the call that there is some controversy over the process used to make Rice Dream and wether it is really gluten free. I have not had a gluten reaction from it but can understand the caution others are taking especially those that are making these very tough decisions for young children.

So having been reassured and then having the accuracy of other information from that source questioned made me unsure as to what to do. I really hate to just let it go because so many gluten free foods include it.

Like you, I would be interested in hearing from others with soy allergy who have tried soy lecithin.

I called the Rice Dream 800 number and asked about the soy lecithin in their frozen deserts. I was told that soy lecithin was safe for people with soy protein allergy. I have not been brave enough to test it out yet.

I was not aware when I made the call that there is some controversy over the process used to make Rice Dream and wether it is really gluten free. I have not had a gluten reaction from it but can understand the caution others are taking especially those that are making these very tough decisions for young children.

So having been reassured and then having the accuracy of other information from that source questioned made me unsure as to what to do. I really hate to just let it go because so many gluten free foods include it.

Like you, I would be interested in hearing from others with soy allergy who have tried soy lecithin.

I have a similar reaction to it as I would to gluten,soy, or MSG..nausea,sore body,extreme lethargy ect.

I have a similar reaction to it as I would to gluten,soy, or MSG..nausea,sore body,extreme lethargy ect.

Me too. I had the brain fog the next day after drinking some. I'll never touch the stuff again.

I get the same symptoms bittykitty gets with Soy/Soya Lecithin, which honestly doesn't surprise me since I get the same symptoms from Xanthan Gum and Citric Acid as I do with corn. They can tell us "there's no (fill in the blank) left after the process" as much as they want but I think a lot of these companies don't understand that some people are more sensitive to some allergens than others and even tiny trace amounts can attack them.

Soy protein is what most people react to. Soy lecithin is said to have no soy protein in it. I can't do soy, including soy oil, yet I can handle soy lecithin.

Same as potatoes. I can't eat anything with potatoes in it, yet I can eat potato chips...they say whatever is harmful to me in potatoes is gone once they become potato chips. I talked with a dietician that was with Dr. Green, Anne Lee about this a few years ago. She also said that many people who cannot tolerate corn, will still beable to eat fresh corn..says the processing is what hurts many people.

So hard to figure this all out!!!!

After 3 years of no corn I've been enjoying fresh corn on the cob- yum! I just have to be careful not to have too much as I'll get more of an IBSish reaction- it's probably pretty rough.

Glad to hear of the soy lecithin thing; I've been wanting to try a junior mint since Patti told me they were okay but I'm afraid of the soy...

take care,

lisa

I react strongly to soy protein, it doesn't give me the same symptoms as gluten but the reaction is still bad enough for me to avoid it. Soy lecithin I am fine with, thank goodness since it is in so much.

Soy protein is what most people react to. Soy lecithin is said to have no soy protein in it. I can't do soy, including soy oil, yet I can handle soy lecithin.

Same as potatoes. I can't eat anything with potatoes in it, yet I can eat potato chips...they say whatever is harmful to me in potatoes is gone once they become potato chips. I talked with a dietician that was with Dr. Green, Anne Lee about this a few years ago. She also said that many people who cannot tolerate corn, will still beable to eat fresh corn..says the processing is what hurts many people.

So hard to figure this all out!!!!

I can eat no fresh corn, but a small amount of corn chips. I think the best plan is to be aware that processing changes things, and those changes may be good, or bad, for you. It's up to you to figure it out.

I also can't tolerate any soy protein, but do okay with soy lecithin.

Thank you everyone- I see a Junior Mint in my future!

lisa

Soy lecithin I am fine with, thank goodness since it is in so much.

True, dat, which is why I wish I could eat it. I am today for the first time making gluten free choc. chip cookies (Alton Brown's recipe) since I have finally got some Enjoy Life chocolate chips. Packages of these are definitely going home with me!!! :wub: I have recently found some things which use corn lecithin as an emulsifier and, while corn is still not good for me, it is a LOT better than soy lecithin.