10 replies to this topic

#1 Lexi

Lexi

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 09:03 AM

Hey! Does anyone know the difference between soy protein and soy lecithin? I have isses with soy and try to avoid it. I found a product I wanted to try and it said it contained soy lecithin, but no soy protein. Is it possible that I would be ablet to digest soy lecithin and not soy protein or vice versa, or should I avoid both? Just crurious. Gosh, it seems like soy is in EVERYTHING these days.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 OptimisticMom42

OptimisticMom42

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 09:21 AM

I called the Rice Dream 800 number and asked about the soy lecithin in their frozen deserts. I was told that soy lecithin was safe for people with soy protein allergy. I have not been brave enough to test it out yet.

I was not aware when I made the call that there is some controversy over the process used to make Rice Dream and wether it is really gluten free. I have not had a gluten reaction from it but can understand the caution others are taking especially those that are making these very tough decisions for young children.

So having been reassured and then having the accuracy of other information from that source questioned made me unsure as to what to do. I really hate to just let it go because so many gluten free foods include it.

Like you, I would be interested in hearing from others with soy allergy who have tried soy lecithin.
Dx Celiacs March '09

#3 bittykitty

bittykitty

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 08:58 AM

I called the Rice Dream 800 number and asked about the soy lecithin in their frozen deserts. I was told that soy lecithin was safe for people with soy protein allergy. I have not been brave enough to test it out yet.

I was not aware when I made the call that there is some controversy over the process used to make Rice Dream and wether it is really gluten free. I have not had a gluten reaction from it but can understand the caution others are taking especially those that are making these very tough decisions for young children.

So having been reassured and then having the accuracy of other information from that source questioned made me unsure as to what to do. I really hate to just let it go because so many gluten free foods include it.

Like you, I would be interested in hearing from others with soy allergy who have tried soy lecithin.

I have a similar reaction to it as I would to gluten,soy, or MSG..nausea,sore body,extreme lethargy ect.
"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes"Douglas Adams

#4 lobita

lobita

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 12:53 PM

I have a similar reaction to it as I would to gluten,soy, or MSG..nausea,sore body,extreme lethargy ect.

Me too. I had the brain fog the next day after drinking some. I'll never touch the stuff again.

#5 RDR

RDR

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 11:03 PM

I get the same symptoms bittykitty gets with Soy/Soya Lecithin, which honestly doesn't surprise me since I get the same symptoms from Xanthan Gum and Citric Acid as I do with corn. They can tell us "there's no (fill in the blank) left after the process" as much as they want but I think a lot of these companies don't understand that some people are more sensitive to some allergens than others and even tiny trace amounts can attack them.
Intolerances:
Gluten/Wheat
Corn
Bean Flours

Allergies:
Rice
Soy/Soya/Lecithin
Honey
Chocolate
Fish/Shellfish

Gluten-free since 2006

#6 darlindeb25

darlindeb25

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 04:17 AM

Soy protein is what most people react to. Soy lecithin is said to have no soy protein in it. I can't do soy, including soy oil, yet I can handle soy lecithin.

Same as potatoes. I can't eat anything with potatoes in it, yet I can eat potato chips...they say whatever is harmful to me in potatoes is gone once they become potato chips. I talked with a dietician that was with Dr. Green, Anne Lee about this a few years ago. She also said that many people who cannot tolerate corn, will still beable to eat fresh corn..says the processing is what hurts many people.

So hard to figure this all out!!!!
Deb
Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!

#7 oceangirl

oceangirl

oceangirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 04:46 AM

After 3 years of no corn I've been enjoying fresh corn on the cob- yum! I just have to be careful not to have too much as I'll get more of an IBSish reaction- it's probably pretty rough.

Glad to hear of the soy lecithin thing; I've been wanting to try a junior mint since Patti told me they were okay but I'm afraid of the soy...

take care,
lisa

#8 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,678 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 06:36 AM

I react strongly to soy protein, it doesn't give me the same symptoms as gluten but the reaction is still bad enough for me to avoid it. Soy lecithin I am fine with, thank goodness since it is in so much.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#9 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 07:01 AM

Soy protein is what most people react to. Soy lecithin is said to have no soy protein in it. I can't do soy, including soy oil, yet I can handle soy lecithin.

Same as potatoes. I can't eat anything with potatoes in it, yet I can eat potato chips...they say whatever is harmful to me in potatoes is gone once they become potato chips. I talked with a dietician that was with Dr. Green, Anne Lee about this a few years ago. She also said that many people who cannot tolerate corn, will still beable to eat fresh corn..says the processing is what hurts many people.

So hard to figure this all out!!!!

I can eat no fresh corn, but a small amount of corn chips. I think the best plan is to be aware that processing changes things, and those changes may be good, or bad, for you. It's up to you to figure it out.

I also can't tolerate any soy protein, but do okay with soy lecithin.
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#10 oceangirl

oceangirl

oceangirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 02:27 PM

Thank you everyone- I see a Junior Mint in my future!

lisa

#11 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 03:31 PM

Soy lecithin I am fine with, thank goodness since it is in so much.

True, dat, which is why I wish I could eat it. I am today for the first time making gluten free choc. chip cookies (Alton Brown's recipe) since I have finally got some Enjoy Life chocolate chips. Packages of these are definitely going home with me!!! :wub: I have recently found some things which use corn lecithin as an emulsifier and, while corn is still not good for me, it is a LOT better than soy lecithin.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009