Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Writing A Book

• Please log in to reply

19 replies to this topic

#1 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 01:38 PM

Hey all

I am in the midst of writing a book. I am putting a chapter or 2 in the book of celiac experiences from numerous people. If anybody would like to add theirs just email me and let me know. I would like at least 5 more but could use more. Thanks everyone :D
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Canadian Karen

Canadian Karen

That Crazy Canuck!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 01:49 PM

Hey, I think that's really cool, Katie...... ;)

After I get all the kids bathed and into bed tonight, I will try to stay awake to come down to the computer and write out my celiac story for you...... :P

Karen
Karen

positive bloodwork, positive biopsy
Celiac, collagenous colitis, hypothyroidism
endometriosis (at age 20)
spinal stenosis (early 20's)

Biopsy August 2006 confirmed complete villous atrophy despite being gluten-free for years and bloodwork within range showing compliance with diet. Doctor has confirmed diagnosis of Refractory Celiac Sprue.
Endoscopy also showed numerous stomach ulcers, have started taking Losec.

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs
Rhiannon 8 yrs
Daniel & Connor 6 yr twin boys......

"Joyfulness keeps the heart and face young. A good laugh makes us better friends with ourselves and everybody around us."
Orison Swett Marden

Laughter is the shortest distance between two people.
-- Victor Borge

"An optimist laughs to forget. A pessimist forgets to laugh."
Tom Nansbury

"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac."
Unknown

#3 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 04:01 PM

awesome I look forward to hearing it Karen :D

Also anyone who has any suggestions on things they would like to see in a book...as a reader what would catch your eye?

Thanks B)
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

#4 angel_jd1

angel_jd1

Gluten Free Goddess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 06:39 PM

A Personal Touch On....Celiac has done a great job with their book on celiac disease. They used the format that you are speaking of.

-Jessica :rolleyes:
Jessica
Gluten Free since 12-31-2002!!
Kansas

#5 ms_sillyak_screwed

ms_sillyak_screwed

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 08:31 PM

Kaiti I think that a book is a wonderful idea. I have noticed many of your postings. You are a smart and beautiful young woman. Put you beautiful face on the cover, it will get attention. I'm glad you are going to spread the word about this hidden disease that doctors don't want to acknowledge because they can't get kickbacks from the drug companies. My doc threw a major fit :angry: and had a meltdown :angry: when I told him I was feeling better from enzymes. He called it <_< hocus pocus... I only stopped because of the cost factor.

I would share my story with you. Feel free to email me regarding what you are exactly looking for.

I noticed you have just been diagnosed with Graves Disease this March. I'm so sorry! I also have a serious thyroid problem too. Are you on thyroid medication? I'm having a hard time with it finding a balance in my system...

I wish you the very best with your quest and if I can help in anyway (I can design you a web site) or etc., please feel free to contact me. :)

#6 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 09 April 2005 - 03:45 AM

Thank you everyone who has offered to help :D If you still want yours in it let me know I have a little bit of room for the stories left.
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Arkansas

"One Nation, Under God"

#7 Canadian Karen

Canadian Karen

That Crazy Canuck!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 09 April 2005 - 05:39 PM

Hey Kaiti,

I am halfway through writing out my celiac journey. Do you still want me to send it? It would probably be tomorrow.......

Let me know!

Karen
Karen

positive bloodwork, positive biopsy
Celiac, collagenous colitis, hypothyroidism
endometriosis (at age 20)
spinal stenosis (early 20's)

Biopsy August 2006 confirmed complete villous atrophy despite being gluten-free for years and bloodwork within range showing compliance with diet. Doctor has confirmed diagnosis of Refractory Celiac Sprue.
Endoscopy also showed numerous stomach ulcers, have started taking Losec.

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs
Rhiannon 8 yrs
Daniel & Connor 6 yr twin boys......

"Joyfulness keeps the heart and face young. A good laugh makes us better friends with ourselves and everybody around us."
Orison Swett Marden

Laughter is the shortest distance between two people.
-- Victor Borge

"An optimist laughs to forget. A pessimist forgets to laugh."
Tom Nansbury

"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac."
Unknown

#8 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 09 April 2005 - 05:43 PM

Karen
Yes most definitely. I am going to be trying to collect stories for another week or two. Thanks :D
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Arkansas

"One Nation, Under God"

#9 Guest_nini_*

Guest_nini_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2005 - 07:17 PM

I've been writing articles for my local health food co op for over a year now, and a lot of people keep telling me that I should write a book. I'd love to, but I don't really have that much time to devote to that! Have you thought about having a co-writer or something to that effect??? Just a thought! :D :D :D

Anyway, Since I've already got these articles written (and there is nothing saying I can't use them in a book) would you be interested in seeing what I've got so far? I don't know if you'd want to use it in your endeavor, or if you have any suggestions for a direction that I might go with it. Feel free to pm me or e-mail me at nisla@comcast.net

#10 Guest_ajlauer_*

Guest_ajlauer_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2005 - 07:46 PM

Also anyone who has any suggestions on things they would like to see in a book...

Any of the common questions that get asked. An appendix with safe/forbidden foods.... what tests to tell the doctor about.... maybe a few recipes for bread, pizza dough, cookies, and the more common "but I can't give that up!!!" foods. Would be good to mention the gluten-friendly food companies, but that could become outdated pretty quickly.

You could also see if any of the gluten-free food companies would give you coupons to put in the book, or with the book.

#11 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 10 April 2005 - 08:50 AM

Would be good to mention the gluten-friendly food companies, but that could become outdated pretty quickly.

That was one thing I was wondering about...I think I am going to put them in it and say this is correct to my knowledge but companies change their policies frequently and I will put the #'s by the company name as well.
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Arkansas

"One Nation, Under God"

#12 flagbabyds

flagbabyds

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 10 April 2005 - 09:10 AM

You should have a list of some of the symptoms and how to get tested if you think that you might have the disease, and also a FAQ section because people have a lot of questions, and I know that you can't answer all of them in a book, but thebasic questions are the most helpful.
Molly

#13 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 10 April 2005 - 09:16 AM

Yeah I have sections on symptoms, complications of ignoring the diet, cross contamination, a section for people with friends and loved ones with it, how to get tested& the diagnosis process,treatment-gluten free diet, personal experiences with celiac, and some other sections with manufacturers numbers and so forth. Thanks for the suggestion...helps to know what people want to read. :D
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Arkansas

"One Nation, Under God"

#14 Deby

Deby

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 10 April 2005 - 02:19 PM

http://brain.hastypa...splay.php?f=141

This is a link to another celiac disease forum. There is a thread called our journeys to celiac disease. or something close to that. I know journey is in the title. You can look there for many postings about celiac disease dx.
Monica
anti-body negative, self diagnosed, Gluten free since March 2001. Two sons (8) also have celiac. Antibody and biopsy positive. I love to cook and after much much experimentation can now get by pretty well!

#15 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 10 April 2005 - 02:47 PM

Thanks Monica :D
I'll take a look at it...I can't use them unless I am given permission by them though.
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Arkansas

"One Nation, Under God"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: