This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Osteoperosis

jekster

jekster Newbie

I was diagnosed with celiac disease three months ago and begged my family doctor to send me for a BMD as my research showed untreated celiac can cause Osteo. He believed that I was far too young to have osteo even if I have celiac.

Much to his surprise my BMD showed a t-scale of -2.7 at the age of 36. He feels that no treatment is necessary other then the recommended daily dose that you find in a mutl-vitamin. The gluten-free diet will take care of it, so he he says. I cannot find any research on Osteoperosis in premenapausal women. I never have diahreaa, nor do I or ever became constipated and no abd pain, besides occasional bloating I would never know if I accidently ingested gluten. My Iga was at 200 with normal range being below 20, my bx was postive.

Concerned for my future,

Can anyone help?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

FMcGee Explorer

Yeesh. You should probably take a calcium supplement that also has vitamin D (like Caltrate, which is gluten-free) because the vitamin D helps your body absorb the calcium. Also, weight-bearing exercise helps build bone density. You can eat calcium-rich foods like dairy (if you can have it) and broccoli. When I was 18 I had a bone density scan and my results weren't very good, but I've built back up since then by doing these things. I'm sure others will have good suggestions for you, as well. Best of luck!

hermitgirl Contributor

Last year when I was diagnosed, it was recommended that I have a bone density scan, as osteoporosis does run in my family. Imagine my shock that at 30 years of age, I was at a -2.8. I was told to make sure that I was getting enough calcium and be sure to do weight bearing exercises. My last visit to the dentist in December, the x-rays of my jaw wore horrible. They were concerned as the density of my jaw was not like that of a 30 year old, and was no where near as dense as the average 30 year old female would be......

My GI recommended oscal d twice a day when I told him of this.

jekster Newbie
Last year when I was diagnosed, it was recommended that I have a bone density scan, as osteoporosis does run in my family. Imagine my shock that at 30 years of age, I was at a -2.8. I was told to make sure that I was getting enough calcium and be sure to do weight bearing exercises. My last visit to the dentist in December, the x-rays of my jaw wore horrible. They were concerned as the density of my jaw was not like that of a 30 year old, and was no where near as dense as the average 30 year old female would be......

My GI recommended oscal d twice a day when I told him of this.

Wow, what a bizarre disease. I had a dental implant failure at age 35. My Oral surgeon could not believe it. He had only 5 failures in 16 yrs and they were all over the age of 50. I have now learned that had WE known of the osteo he would have waited 8 months before torking the actual implant instead of 8wks which is the norm for a young healthy 35 yr old.

I was worried at the time of Bone cancer so I had some blood work done and my alkaline phosphotase was very low which is a sign of deficiencies- ( high levels could indicate cancer) so many little signs, but no big ones.

So have you had another BMD, or going to have another one?

tarnalberry Community Regular

Given your age and your recent diagnosis, while your doctor sounds a bit uneducated and lazy (nearly 1200 hits on Open Original Shared Link), his advice sounds... in the right direction.

I wouldn't stick with *just* a multi-vitamin. Many of those don't even have a full day's supply of calcium, let alone a decent Ca/VitD/Mg ratio. I would make sure to find a supplement (or combination thereof) that has *no more* than 500mg of calcium in each dose (the body can't process more than that at once), at least 250mg of magnesium along with that, and at least 400IU vitD. You'd then want to take two doses a day, at least 8 hours apart, and not at the same time as taking iron (which competes with calcium on absorption).

And definitely weight bearing exercise. Walking is a GREAT place to start. Weights are good too. If you can, however, I would strongly recommend getting into a yoga class. TALK TO THE TEACHER FIRST! Make sure he/she is prepared to make modifications/adjustments for you based on the osteoporosis. There is no contraindication between yoga and osteoporisis - in fact, there is some evidence that suggests that it's QUITE beneficial. But there are some things to be careful of (like deep backbends, making sure to have support of the wall for balance poses, and so on). It can help in two ways - it provides added strength and stability in muscles supporting the joints so that you are less likely to take a fall and break something, and it requires significant weight bearing on bones that often don't get weight bearing (like the arms (including forearms) and each leg one at a time for extended lengths of time (longer than walking does). Even the spine (headstand, for instance), if you ever choose to go there. :) (Disclaimer: I teach yoga. I have a bias in suggesting it's a great idea. BUT, I wouldn't suggest it for all things - even if I would suggest it for a lot of things. This happens to be something it can be great for if you find a good instructor - *NOT* practicing on your own at home.)

cyberprof Enthusiast
Given your age and your recent diagnosis, while your doctor sounds a bit uneducated and lazy (nearly 1200 hits on Open Original Shared Link), his advice sounds... in the right direction.

I wouldn't stick with *just* a multi-vitamin. Many of those don't even have a full day's supply of calcium, let alone a decent Ca/VitD/Mg ratio. I would make sure to find a supplement (or combination thereof) that has *no more* than 500mg of calcium in each dose (the body can't process more than that at once), at least 250mg of magnesium along with that, and at least 400IU vitD. You'd then want to take two doses a day, at least 8 hours apart, and not at the same time as taking iron (which competes with calcium on absorption).

I agree with everything tarnalberry said (I usually do- she gives good advice). I have an osteopenia diagnosis and I do what she says. I take this Open Original Shared Link from Nature Made. MOST (but not all) Nature Made products are gluten-free and say so in words on the label so read the label before buying.

It has the Vitamin D plus magnesium and zinc to go along with 333mg of calcium. I take it 2-3 times a day, a couple hours apart with food and not with caffeine or iron. I also take the Nature Made multi which has 250mg and eat a lot of calcium rich foods.

I find nature made at Fred Meyer, Bartell Drugs, and Costco carries costco-sized bottles of their Multi, Fish Oil, Flaxseed Oil etc. I haven't found the calcuim at Costco but they may carry it.

Good luck.

OH RATS. I just read that you're in Canada. Not sure if they carry Nature Made in Canada but maybe you can use the website shown above to order online.

heathen Apprentice

It's a good idea for most women to start calcium supplementation before age 30 to prevent osteoporosis even without Celiac disease. But if you have diagnosed osteoporosis, you need to definitely be doing that. Split around 1200 mg (eg. one 600 mg in the morning and one at night) and don't forget to take a Vit D supplement as well (many over the counter calcium supplements already include vitamin D) or you won't absorb the calcium. Your doctor is right in that you will absorb calcium better as you heal and probably doesn't want to put you on the osteoporosis drugs at this time because they can have some nasty side effects. But if you feel that your doctor is not taking you seriously, trust your gut and move on.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

hermitgirl Contributor
Wow, what a bizarre disease. I had a dental implant failure at age 35. My Oral surgeon could not believe it. He had only 5 failures in 16 yrs and they were all over the age of 50. I have now learned that had WE known of the osteo he would have waited 8 months before torking the actual implant instead of 8wks which is the norm for a young healthy 35 yr old.

I was worried at the time of Bone cancer so I had some blood work done and my alkaline phosphotase was very low which is a sign of deficiencies- ( high levels could indicate cancer) so many little signs, but no big ones.

So have you had another BMD, or going to have another one?

Given the density scan was in October, a month after diagnosis of Celiac, I haven't done it yet. I figure I will maybe have it done yearly just to make sure I am making some form of progress. Neither my GI or regular Dr were that concerned, as they said I am young enough to easily reverse the damage, as long as I stay gluten free.

jekster Newbie

And definitely weight bearing exercise. Walking is a GREAT place to start. Weights are good too. If you can, however, I would strongly recommend getting into a yoga class. TALK TO THE TEACHER FIRST! Make sure he/she is prepared to make modifications/adjustments for you based on the osteoporosis. There is no contraindication between yoga and osteoporisis - in fact, there is some evidence that suggests that it's QUITE beneficial. But there are some things to be careful of (like deep backbends, making sure to have support of the wall for balance poses, and so on). It can help in two ways - it provides added strength and stability in muscles supporting the joints so that you are less likely to take a fall and break something, and it requires significant weight bearing on bones that often don't get weight bearing (like the arms (including forearms) and each leg one at a time for extended lengths of time (longer than walking does). Even the spine (headstand, for instance), if you ever choose to go there. :) (Disclaimer: I teach yoga. I have a bias in suggesting it's a great idea. BUT, I wouldn't suggest it for all things - even if I would suggest it for a lot of things. This happens to be something it can be great for if you find a good instructor - *NOT* practicing on your own at home.)

Thanks for all the replys and info.

So Tarnalberry, I for sure will be looking into a yoga class, Can you tell me what you think of the Wee system , Fit. Should I stay away from that?

tarnalberry Community Regular
Thanks for all the replys and info.

So Tarnalberry, I for sure will be looking into a yoga class, Can you tell me what you think of the Wee system , Fit. Should I stay away from that?

I haven't gotten to do much but demo someone's. They yoga program isn't great, but isn't the end of the world. What I like about it is using it to improve proprioception and balance. I don't know how well, in practice, the games really give you feedback about this, but it has potential. ;)

RebeccaMarie Newbie

Dear Jekster, osteoporosis has no age limitations. Even malnourished children can have it. Remember that Celiacs have a problem with ABSORBTION of vitamins and minerals. I, too, was shocked at my diagnosis of severe osteopenia---I have taken 4 huge Calcium/D pills every day for years! Perhaps raising your Calcium/D intake will help, along with *careful* exercize. Best wishes to you! :)

dally099 Contributor

hi there, interesting i had my bone scan at 32 and found out that i was in the early stages and had osteopenisis. my doc was shocked considering that i run, and lift weights and eat like a pig! so he recomended that i take a liquid suppliment every day and keep up with the weight bearing excersises. im sure it has something to do with absortion issues which is super common in celiac. vitamin D will help with that ,

good luck!

chatycady Explorer

I too have osteoporosis and was told to take calcium supplements. I suggested they test my D levels. I was extremely deficienct. I am now taking 2000+ units of D a day. I live in the upper midwest where winter months are ccold and cloudy, plus malabsorption due to celiac disease caused the deficiency.

Everyone who's been diagnosed with osteopenia, or osteopororis should have their D levels tested. The small amount of D in calcium supplements may not be enough to solve the problem. Also, vitamin D has shown to heal the digestive system and for us with leaky guts it can close the "holes" and rebuild the mucosa which is needed for proper enzyme production.

dtgirl Rookie

No, you are not too young. I am 24, was diagnosed at 23 with levels similar to yours. I have celiac and have had amenorrhea for almost 8 years. I have a very hard time building muscle/I lose muscle/weight very quickly, anyone have that problem?

Archived