This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Bowels Before And After Gluten-free Diet

Chrissy in England

Chrissy in England Newbie

My doctor has put me on a gluten free diet because of my diagnosis with IBS. He seems to think I may be gluten intollerant and unwilling to do the celiac test (military overseas :angry: ). I have had sucess with this diet and feel like never before. However, because my bowels have been abnormal forever, I am unsure what they should be like. I know this sounds silly but I want to know if anyone had a change in thier stools (color & consistency) after starting the gluten free diet. Also, if anyone suffered from D for awhile and did that change?

Thank you for your answers in advance.

Chris an American in England.

PS - I hope no one is offended with my questions!!!! ;)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Canadian Karen Community Regular

Hi Chris!

Offended? No way! ;) Believe me, we are quite used to these kinds of questions here and discussions of bowel movements are quite the norm here!! :D

How long have you been on the gluten free diet? Everyone's system is different, some notice a major change in just a few weeks, others it takes 6 mos to a year.

I can certainly talk in detail about chronic diarrhea. I have had permanent, chronic diarrhea for over a decade. Nothing but water, 24/7. After a few years on the gluten free diet with no change in symptoms, they did further testing on me. A colonoscopy showed collagenous colitis, a microscopic form of colitis, that can only be diagnosed by a pathologist. I am currently taking prednisone, trying to get it under control......

Welcome to the board! There are a bunch of really great people here who are always willing to help! And remember, our motto here is "No question is too stupid to ask....." We've all been there.......

Karen

Hi Karen! Thanks for your encouragement. I have been on the diet for 5+ weeks. Before the diet, I was constantly C and D but now it is quite loose and orange.... Should I expect something firmer and a different color? :huh: I noticed a change in how I felt and a change in my bowels within a few weeks which leads me to want to continue with the new regime.

I had a colonoscopy about 11 years ago at 25 and they found "nothing wrong" with me. Still had the same problem and complaint, though! <_<

So, here I am not sure what is going to happen and still unwilling to believe that this is me. Although, I like the new energitic, non-bloated, bowel movin', tongue not swollen, non-excruciating gas pain havin' (the list goes on) ME! :lol: I guess my other concern is - since my doctor is unwilling to work these tests on me, (celiac sprue and gluten intollerance) do I actually have this problem and am I doing more harm continueing this diet?

Please, any info would be GREATLY appreciated!

Chris

celiac3270 Collaborator

No harm at all whatsoever. Whether you have celiac or not, this diet is better for you than a diet containing wheat. While we fully digest some grains, such as rice, we don't digest 10% of wheat--in fact, we were never meant to eat wheat, since our bodies weren't made to...digest it. So even if you have no problem with gluten, you're doing a service to your body. 1 in 133 in the US have celiac disease so the chances of having it are pretty high. Many here don't have a formal diagnosis and wouldn't think of going back to gluten to get one. If you feel better, that's what really matters--regardless of whether it's celiac disease or an allergy only to wheat, or something entirely different.

Also, welcome! We've had posts here on everything...discussion of bowel movements doesn't offend anyone here :lol: ...you name it, it's been discussed: bowel movements, menstrual cycles, gross rashes, even one about "sensitive nipples"......and the great thing is that nobody here knows you so you don't have to be embarrassed :D

Rikki Tikki Explorer

Oh celiac3270:

That made me laugh. Such a young man you are to have to hear about all of this! ;)

skbird Contributor

Yeah celiac3270, you are amazing. For the longest time I thought the "14" in your signature had to do with how long you'd been gluten free. It wasn't until I read your "getting to know you" post that I figured otherwise. I was a percocious kid but I have to say at 14 I would definitely not had the wherewithall to make the posts you do.

Nice knowing you!

Stephanie

celiac3270 Collaborator
That made me laugh. Such a young man you are to have to hear about all of this! 

You're referring to the bowels, periods, and rashes, I presume? :lol:

And thank you, Stephanie :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest ajlauer
PS - I hope no one is offended with my questions!!!! ;)

LOL. There are so many poop questions on this board, there should be a whole subject dedicated to them!! There was one really good explanation of "What is NOT a normal bowel movement", but I don't know where it was at. It was very good though - maybe someone else here can find it. It was like, "If you go to a new store and don't have to scope out the bathrooms once you get there.... you might have normal bowel movements." "If taking a crap doesn't feel like giving birth... you might have normal bowel movements."

Ok sorry. I added my own "Might be a redneck" flare to it. *lol* We should start a series of "You might be a celiac" jokes, and use the money to present an award to celiac disease-friendly food companies. Or to fund enterolab tests. *laugh* That'd be too cool!

"If you use lamaze when you're on the s$#&ter, you might be a celiac. If you know what disodium phosphate is, and whether or not it's gluten free... you might be a celiac."

Rikki Tikki Explorer

Yes celiac3270, all of the above! :lol:

ianm Apprentice

Since this disease affects the gastro-intestinal system we have some really lovely discussions here :lol: . Basically there is not much that hasn't already been discussed that would gross us out. It's nothing that we havent' seen or done before. I don't have a formal diagnosis but it is so obvious what my problem is. I was so sick from eating gluten that my life was completely transformed once I went gluten free. My bowel problems weren't real severe but everything has been moving along the way it's supposed to now.

Rikki Tikki Explorer

I am a celiac but I don't know what

" ;) disodium phosphate is, and whether or not it's gluten free... you might be a celiac." is?

celiac3270 Collaborator

It's gluten-free ;)

granny Rookie
LOL.  There are so many poop questions on this board, there should be a whole subject dedicated to them!!  There was one really good explanation of "What is NOT a normal bowel movement",  but I don't know where it was at.  It was very good though - maybe someone else here can find it.  It was like, "If you go to a new store and don't have to scope out the bathrooms once you get there.... you might have normal bowel movements."  "If taking a crap doesn't feel like giving birth... you might have normal bowel movements."

Ok sorry.  I added my own "Might be a redneck" flare to it.  *lol*  We should start a series of "You might be a celiac" jokes, and use the money to present an award to celiac disease-friendly food companies.  Or to fund enterolab tests.  *laugh*  That'd be too cool!

"If you use lamaze when you're on the s$#&ter, you might be a celiac.  If you know what disodium phosphate is, and whether or not it's gluten free... you might be a celiac."

Hi, Thanks for "The Redneck twist" on the celiac bowel movements! I laughed till I cried. I needed a good laugh so much today. I had a rough day with my MnL.

Keep the jokes coming. Granny

Rikki Tikki Explorer

Do you mean that stands for gluten free?

celiac3270 Collaborator

No, no, sorry :lol: . I meant that the ingredient "disodium phosphate" is gluten-free. Not that it means that something is gluten-free. :D

Rikki Tikki Explorer

Oh, thanks celiac3270. :D But what is it?

celiac3270 Collaborator

Well, "disodium phosphate" is what...it is. I mean, it's an ingredient used in some foods and it's gluten-free, but the technical name for it is disodium phosphate. It's not like "modified food starch" where you can say it might be rice or wheat, etc. :)

Rikki Tikki Explorer

Ok, I see celiac3270 it's an ingredent that is gluten-free. Makes sense. Kind of like what you said! :rolleyes:

You guys are GREAT!!!! It is nice to know that the lines are open to discuss all of those wonderful subjects our 14 yr old friend mentioned!

Anyway, I think I know what the problem with my bm is lately. I had been taking gluten-free detox tablets - they happen to be all vegetable - and boy that is was did the trick. I went off those and everything went back to good normal.

I am also excited to here that this diet will not have harmful effects on people who are not intollerant. I have been feeding my family all kinds of gluten-free stuff. I made some AWESOME gluten-free cornbread (which happens to be my fav bread) and it was great! The kids loved it as well.

Anyone know anything about substituting different flours for cooking/baking? I am DIEING to make cookies!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I need a cooking class to get this all down.

Take it easy,

Chris

Lesliean Apprentice

I was worried for you, celiac3270, when on a previous post you referred to having surgery(glad you are ok). I really enjoy your educated and mature posts. And to find out you are, ah, of the younger generation, is great. I like to think of people like you being in charge of things when I am old and gray, ah, older and grayer.

Leslie

celiac3270 Collaborator

Aww...thank you :D.

Rikki Tikki Explorer

Chrissy I am glad you are better. Try this recipe. I got it off a gluten free cooking site. I hope you like it!

Ingredients:

90g (3oz) butter

1 cup brown sugar

4 1/2 cups gluten-free cornflakes

1 cup mixed nuts (or your choice), roughly chopped

1 large egg, lightly beaten

1 cup dessicated coconut

90g (3oz) glace cherries, halved

90g (3oz) chocolate bits - gluten-free

Method:

Turn on the stove. Melt the butter in microwave or on stove. Off the heat, add the sugar and mix thoroughly. Add egg, nuts, coconut, cherries, chocolate bits and cornflakes. Mix well. As you mix, bash the cornflakes so that they're partly crushed.

Place heaped teaspoonfuls on a non-stick oven tray. The mixture won't stick together properly, but don't panic - just push it together with your fingers. The ingredients will stick together as they cook. Bake at 170 C (350 F) for about 14 minutes. For the best flavour, rescue them just as any thin, spread out bits start to go dark brown.

Leave them on the tray for two minutes, then place on racks to cool.

Fonda Newbie

Yes, I am laughing!! That "You might be a Celiac if....." is too funny. Since I am pretty new here I haven't been in on all the bowel movement messages. It is so good to hear that other people go through the same thing!! Since going gluten-free about a month ago, I am better, but have had IBS symptoms for years, so I am far from staying out of bathrooms.

I avoid meetings, rooms that are too quiet because then I think about it then my stomach starts churning and then it gets louder and then I have to go to the bathroom. I hate traveling in a car very far with people I don't know very well in case I have to stop several times. Church sometimes is hard to get through w/o going to the bathroom.

There are several more on my list. Some day I hope to be able to sit in a meeting in a quiet room all day and no worries!!! :D

Fonda

Archived