22 replies to this topic

#16 mannabbe

mannabbe

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 24 February 2004 - 09:20 PM

A doctor friend of mine explained to me that there's a protein in oats that is very similar structurally to the protein in wheat gluten - and that's why some people are sensitive to both. I have met a few celiacs (including my friend's daughter) who get horribly sick from oats (even uncontaminted oats).

There was a link distruted on the St. John's celiac listserve a couple months ago that explained that oats can be sold in the US and identified as Oats even if they contain up to 1% other grains (e.g. wheat), which is certainly possible given the field rotations, shared equipement, etc.

Since I can't eat eggs or dairy products, and I do occasionally travel for work, breakfast is my most difficult meal on business trips. I stayed at the Chicago W Hotel last November for almost a week, and couldn't BELIEVE my good fortune to find that they served McCann's oatmeal for breakfast.

Happiness comes in unexpected ways and surprising places :lol:
Laurie

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 oreyes

oreyes

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 01 March 2004 - 06:50 PM

I've a friend that is also gluten free who really likes oatmeal. I noticed on one site that McCann's Oatmeal was listed as a safe item. Can anyone tell me where this can be purchased. I went onto their web site but didn't really find any information that seemed helpful. Do health food stores carry it (our's doesn't) or have you ordered it from a web site?..............

Judy

#18 judy04

judy04

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 01 March 2004 - 10:12 PM

judy,

I saw some in a catalog from the Vermont Country Store, it was kind
of pricey. I don't have the catalog anymore, but I know they are on the web...
judy

gluten-free since 11/03, neg biopsy, IGA elevated

#19 Terri-Anne

Terri-Anne

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 18 March 2004 - 12:02 PM

"Now that they are saying oatmeal is safe would you give your child Maple and brown sugar Quaker oatmeal? How about HealthValley Maple and Brown sugar granola bars?"

KellyR
My son is supposedly (according to his pediatrician) allergic to wheat, but not celiac. Over the Christmas break we fed him Maple and Brown sugar, and Cinnamon Roll Quaker oatmeal most mornings for breakfast. He LOVED it! However, by each evening he was displaying his typical "allergic" symptoms, red face and ears, rashed inner thighs and abdomen, hyperactivity and diarrhea. I kept assuming he was "getting into" some other source of wheat, as 3 year olds can do sometimes. My husband suggested we cut out the porridge for breakfast, and ta-da! the nightly reactions ceased! <_<
I had also been giving him Nature Valley crunchy granola bars, as they contain oats, and maybe barley-malt, but NO WHEAT, which is supposedly his only problem. For a few months he seemed to love them. Then he started refusing to eat them. I stupidly assumed he had just grown sick of them, (as in bored with them) and just last week conned him into eating two for a snack one afternoon. Guess what happened. He got the red cheeks, and face, rash, abdominal pains, hyperactivity and let's not forget the diarrhea!

I should have heeded Logan's own instincts as right from the time he was just over a year old, he avoided things that contained wheat, even though we didn't catch onto the fact he was reacting to wheat until after he turned two!

SO to answer your original question, as to whether we would feed the yummy Quaker oatmeal to a child with known celiac. MY answer is unfortunately an emphatic no! (if you are indeed sure your daughter has celiac)
There is obviously (obvious to me) something in it that would cause damage/reactions.
<_< Sorry.

#20 plantime

plantime

My two handsome grandsons

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 18 March 2004 - 01:57 PM

I called Quaker about their oats, and was told that they do process on a dedicated line. Quaker will not guarantee wheat contamination from the field, though. Does McCann guarantee no field contamination?
Dessa

The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you." Numbers 6:24-25

#21 webgyrl

webgyrl

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 18 March 2004 - 10:44 PM

I do so miss oatmeal. With raisins. And white sugar. And butter. Sigh.

Before I was ever diagnosed with celiac disease, I knew I had issues with oatmeal. It made me sick to my stomach w/in 20 minutes of the first bite, and I would end up sick, bloated, drowsy and with what I called "big head." Basically feeling like my head was blown up, inflated...hard to hold up, difficult to think...ick.

Oddly enough rice gave me the same problem. And cream of wheat. Shwew. Sicker than a dog.

Of course, now I know why the c.o.w made me so ill. :)

I still can't eat oats. Tried a gluten-free brand a few months back and was sick again almost immediately. Fortuntely, I can eat rice now. Took a year of being gluten-free before my allergy to that went away. Even so, I can only eat so much at one time or I start feeling ill again. Hopefully that will go away completely over time.

But boy, do I ever miss oatmeal!

#22 willamina

willamina

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 April 2004 - 05:18 AM

What brand of OATMEAL do you eat? Which is the kind that most likely doesn't irritate those w/celiac?

#23 tammy

tammy

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 04 April 2004 - 07:01 PM

I have been successful with ONLY McCann's Steel Cut Oatmeal!

Enjoy!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: