4 replies to this topic

#1 mario

mario

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 24 February 2004 - 09:27 AM

I have been diagnosed two weeks ago today, but i'm feeling very weak, my doc put me back on the iron 2/daily. How long will it take for my body to start absorbing the nutrients, I wanna put on some weight, I really need it..I'm very thin. :(

mario
I'm me and, from Canada, Montreal

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kejohe

kejohe

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 24 February 2004 - 09:43 AM

Not to get you down, but for some it can take several weeks, months and a few can even take up tp a year. It really depepnds on how much healing your gut needs to do. You may take a while to heal, but you will probably begin to notice the positive effects of being gluten-free long before your healing is complete, maybe even very soon. When my son went gluten-free, he was back to normal in about 6 weeks.

I know it's difficult and learning the diet can be very frustrating, but think about how good you will feel when your body is at it's best for the first time in your life. Also the extended healing time just serves as more of an incentive to remain gluten-free, because you will realize how long it takes to get better if you cheat.

Take care and you'll be gaining weight before you know it!
Kathleen
Son has been gluten-free since December 2001

#3 mario

mario

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 24 February 2004 - 11:04 AM

thank you so much for the positive respond and, i hope i put on some weight soon, i'm very thin and, very pale :(
I'm me and, from Canada, Montreal

#4 Lily

Lily

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 24 February 2004 - 02:43 PM

Mario,
I've been gluten free for 2 months now and am just getting enough energy to climb the stairs without getting out of breath. My energy is returning in tiny increments, but I am noticing a difference.
Hang in there!!!!

Lily

#5 Newbie

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 24 February 2004 - 07:37 PM

Mario,

I've been gluten-free 2 months today and I'm feeling better energy-wise. I used to faint A LOT... but I'm on iron now as well as centrum ( a multi-vitamin ) and calcium with Vitamin D. It will take some time, but believe me, you'll start to feel different. My nails used to be soooooooooooo brittle and weak and wouldn't really grow that long. Now, I can't believe it... they are strong and are growing and look healthy. You'll see results in time. Keep it up and remember, taking that iron is very important!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: