Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Different celiac disease Allergy And Alcohol Reactions?

• Please log in to reply

21 replies to this topic

#16 DreamWalker

DreamWalker

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 10:20 PM

Are you sure your drink wasn't spiked? The way you described the feeling as though alcohol stayed in your system parallels a description of a GHB-laced drink. Over two years ago (well before I was gluten-free), I had 1.5 glasses of wine & I remember nothing of that night or well into the following day. I was sitting on the couch watching Malcom & the Middle episodes & I remember x to my right on the chair & y pouring drinks in the kitchen - then blank. I never finished my 2nd glass of wine. I felt drunk for days following & my pupils were ridiculous. (One was huge while the other was the size of a needle point.) I'm not sure if that lasted or I just happened to glance in the mirror on my way back from the bathroom to collapse back in bed. (My bedroom used to be connected to the bathroom like one room.) Anyhow, I did some investigating & discovered the bottle of wine had been spiked with GHB.

As for post-gluten-free alcohol tolerance, I'm not sure. I never really recouped enough to have a desire to drink (fear of worsening stomach issues) and I started the gluten free diet at 21. About a month ago, I tried drinking a solitary drink (gin & tonic) & it threw my body into insane amounts of sharp, burning pain. Um.... I don't think I'll try drinking again. (I used to be rather capable of holding my own though.)

While I know you can’t get an official diagnosis of celiac disease after you’ve been off gluten, are there things that can look at as a sign that I "probably" do have it? If I ask for an allergy test for different foods, what exactly do I ask for? (Not sure what to expect at a free, taxpayer-supported health institution, but I don’t exactly expect the doctors will have the same breadth of knowledge they would at the Mayo clinic, so I want to make sure I know exactly what to ask for before I go in.)

When I was undergoing testing for Celiac Disease, a doctor at STANFORD University told me there was only one Celiac antibody & that regardless of the gluten free diet - it never goes away. "You either have it or don't." She also said that my Vit D deficiency could not be a symptom of or related to Celiac Disease. My point is, you can find some doosies at supposedly renowned institutions. I've had periods of time where I was in a situation where I couldn't use my insurance and the free clinics can be a bit more comprehensive than one would think. Obviously, it depends on the doctor. Over the years, I've only been seen at free clinics for asthma-related issues but a doctor there helped me out tremendously by switching my inhaler prescriptions.

Anyhow, here is the list of Celiac antibodies they need to test for:
Anti-gliadin antibodies (AGA) both IgA and IgG
Anti-endomysial antibodies (EMA) - IgA
Anti-tissue transglutaminase antibodies (tTG) - IgA
Total IgA level.

If that list confuses them, ask for the full "Celiac Disease Panel." Sometimes it's called "Celiac Plus."
It's a check box on the blood work order form. . . .
Errr.... I don't have much faith in the medical community anymore. :ph34r:

I hope you start to feel better.
A hundred times every day I remind myself that my inner and outer life depend on the labors of other men, living and dead, and that I must exert myself in order to give in the same measure as I have received and am still receiving.
- Albert Einstein

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 olivebee

olivebee

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 11:35 AM

Wow, this totally happened to me NYE this year. Don't get me wrong, I drank more than I should have, but with a full belly and the safetly of my home. HOWEVER, I blacked out at about 1230..I remember at times waking up just screaming and saying nasty things. It was absolutely humiliating. It took me a full two days to recover.

I am currently a self diagnosed Celiac but the day before NYE stopped eating gluten, I had a little that night and some malted beer and champagne. It was awful, but honestly I'm glad I'm not the only one! My fiance has put me on a 2 drink limit which I am MORE than happy to follow.

#18 CarbQueen

CarbQueen

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 09:19 PM

Wow, this totally happened to me NYE this year. Don't get me wrong, I drank more than I should have, but with a full belly and the safetly of my home. HOWEVER, I blacked out at about 1230..I remember at times waking up just screaming and saying nasty things. It was absolutely humiliating. It took me a full two days to recover.

I am currently a self diagnosed Celiac but the day before NYE stopped eating gluten, I had a little that night and some malted beer and champagne. It was awful, but honestly I'm glad I'm not the only one! My fiance has put me on a 2 drink limit which I am MORE than happy to follow.

Boy.....where to begin.

Started dating new guy 2006. I had 1st blackout in my life on our first date. Fortunately, my friend joined us that eve. He told bf that it isn't me. I don't usually talk like that.

I don't remember what I said, but the look on bf face said it all. He finally left me last year, after an on again off again relationship. After watching me go ballistic at a party he felt it was better to seperate.

I'm so grateful. Now, I know that I am sensitive to alcohol. The brain fog is lifting to a point I have 90% of memory. I recall going to the emergency several times in the late 70s and early 80s. The doctors called it alcohol indigestion.

In fall of 2006, I received a DUI, although I had consumed 1.5 drinks in 4 hours. It didn't register on the breathalyzer, but I looked unstable, so the charges stuck. I wondered how this could possibly happen.

I'm just happy I didn't hurt anyone, including myself. I've spent the last 18 months telling people about my experience. Hopefully, they will seek medical attention if they can relate to my stories. I reside in a small rural town, where there are no resources to help me. I just prayed and meditated, and followed my instincts. Thank goodness I have an analytical mind. 100s of hours of research and trial and error I have food relief from the pain.

I lost everything. Now, I am coming back from the brink.

I practice the attitude of gratitude.

#19 TSC1

TSC1

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 11:23 AM

I do not have a definitive answer but let's assume that everything is now absorbed better and faster nutritionally. This is the reason many of my bad health symptoms disappeared after a few years. Why not alcohol?

#20 bg12

bg12

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 07:53 AM

Hi everyone! I'm new to this forum, but I've read posts on it before and it's been very helpful. I know this is an old thread, but I've been having a similar problem. Basically, I just have very unpredictable reactions to alcohol. I'm a 21-year-old female. I was diagnosed with celiac disease at age 20 and had symptoms since I was 19. In my (limited) experience of drinking alcohol before I had celiac symptoms, I had a pretty high tolerance I think...I could have 5-6 drinks or more in a night and feel completely fine that night and the next day.

Now, there have been three times in the past few months where I've thrown up after drinking wine and/or mixed drinks. The weird thing is that it seems to be a delayed reaction...several hours after I stop drinking and sometimes even after I feel mostly sober, I'll suddenly start throwing up. The first time this happened, I chalked it up to maybe drinking too much on an empty stomach, and the second time, I thought maybe there were trace amounts of gluten in some mixer I used. But last night, I had two glasses of wine over 2-3 hours, I went home, went to sleep, and then several hours later I woke up and started throwing up.

This doesn't happen every time I drink, though...sometimes I can have way more than that and feel fine. But I just notice that alcohol affects me differently than it used to. In general, I'd say I feel the physical effects (nausea) more than I used to and the mental affects (tipsiness, feeling light and floaty, etc.) less. Like other people said, I also think alcohol affects me more slowly now. It takes longer to feel drunk (if I feel anything at all), but the next day, I'll still feel weak and lightheaded and disoriented. But unlike other people said, I often don't even feel the mental affects of being drunk in the first place...

Any thoughts on how to deal with this? I never used to throw up from drinking before having celiac disease. But I'm not even sure that's the problem, because I'm not very sensitive to gluten in food. In the year and a half since I was diagnosed, I've never had a reaction from food, even though I've probably gotten some gluten by accident at a restaurant or something.

I'm thinking I may just need to stop drinking completely to avoid these odd reactions. I'd like to be able to drink socially at least, but if I can't handle 2 glasses of wine...

If anyone knows more about the biological explanations for this -- immune system, metabolism, etc. -- I'd be very interested to hear.

Thanks for your help!

#21 CelesteT

CelesteT

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 08:15 AM

Hi Everyone, I've just joined tonight & this is my 1st post....I just had to add to this one!

I have a terrible time with alcohol & I've never understood why until recently. I have asthma, allergies, anaphylaxis & GI (just diagnosed). Since my diagnosis, I have tried to reduce my alcohol intake to just potatoe Vodka - but that can be difficult to get hold of & when I'm out with friends or at a party, it's tough! I'm vegetarian, gluten intolerant & now I have to ask bartenders for potatoe vodka, lol, I feel like such a bore!!!

A few night's ago I allowed myself to be talked into having a couple of glasses of red wine, it went to my head immediately & I foolishly was so 'merry' I drank a couple more glasses - I can't remember what happened next, but from what I was told it wasn't pretty! I was staying the night at my friends place & came rushing into their room in the early hours of the morning insisting someone was in the house, they got up & checked, no-one was there, so I then rush into the arms of there flatmate & started to cry *blush* - I can't remember any of this & when I woke the next day I was in agony.

I literally couldn't even get out of bed until 7pm the following evening....even then I was shakey & very vulnerable. I made my way home got into bed & slept for another 13hrs, my whole system felt full of poison.
Does anyone else here have that kind of reaction to wine/red wine? I've noticed that it is by far the worse drink for me...I can get drunk very quickly with it & it takes me two full days at least to recover from it. I'm not talking about a huge quantity either & I make sure I eat food & drink water etc.

They say wine is ok for GI & Celiac, but I don't agree at all...I guess it's just trial & error. :(

#22 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,148 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 08:20 AM

If you drink a whole bottle or more of wine, Celiac or not, you are going to feel really really bad! Sometimes for days. Some people black out and don't remember what they have done. It's not the wine, it's way too much wine.

Now red wine has things in it that bother people, but that happens with just one glass. Tannins, sulphites...

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: