This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Bobs Red Mill

Aeman56

Aeman56 Apprentice

Anyone know if these products taste any good? I found some Mixes at a local store but I don't want to waste the money if they don't taste very good.

Any other good product lines that aren't super expensive?

I just tried to make bread for my son the first time and it cost over 40 bucks and I had to go to 4 different stores to find all the ingredients!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

MySuicidalTurtle Enthusiast

I use them for my flour and bread machine mixes. I love them but my Mom thinks they taste odd.

FMcGee Explorer

I like the bread mixes! I also like Pamela's and Gluten Free Pantry mixes. I haven't tried any other BRM products yet, but I have some, so I'll re-post when I do.

The Fluffy Assassin Enthusiast
Anyone know if these products taste any good? I found some Mixes at a local store but I don't want to waste the money if they don't taste very good.

Any other good product lines that aren't super expensive?

I just tried to make bread for my son the first time and it cost over 40 bucks and I had to go to 4 different stores to find all the ingredients!

Bob's mixes are a bit squirrely. I tried the gluten-free All-Purpose Baking Flour and didn't like it a bit. Gluten Free Pantry's Beth's All-Purpose Baking Flour on the other hand smells and tastes practically exactly like regular white flour.

Bob's other products (I've tried the tapioca and coconut flours) are fine, and I'm sure the mix is an acquired taste. I just didn't acquire it quickly enough.

Another thing to think about: soft corn tortillas are a brilliant substitute for bread. Cheap, tasty, versatile and available in every store I've looked. Most kids think wraps are fun; I'm a 47-year-old kid, and I do.

Edit (6/19): Hey look, I can still edit! I miswrote when I said "Bob's mixes"; would more properly be called "Bob's blended flours." Everybody else says the mixes are fine, and as I've never tried one, I can't judge.

Hummingbird4 Explorer

The Bob's Red Mill chocolate cake mix is excellent! I think their bread mix is just OK. Cornbread mix is pretty good. Mighty tasty hot cereal is OK.

strawberrynin Newbie

I think the Pizza crust mix is fabulous, better than even the old wheat stuff I could eat. I would even try to use it as a bread substitute.

terribeth07 Apprentice
Another thing to think about: soft corn tortillas are a brilliant substitute for bread. Cheap, tasty, versatile and available in every store I've looked. Most kids think wraps are fun; I'm a 47-year-old kid, and I do.

Soft corn tortillas? Are you referring to the things you have to fry up before you eat them?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

FMcGee Explorer
Soft corn tortillas? Are you referring to the things you have to fry up before you eat them?

I'm not sure what she's referring to, but when I buy them, I just heat them in the microwave or pop them in the toaster oven for a bit to soften them up. I don't fry food, ever, but you could.

The Fluffy Assassin Enthusiast

You don't have to heat them up at all, as they're fully cooked, but they're more pliable (rollable) if you give them about five minutes in an oven or say 10-20 seconds in a microwave. I get mine at Aldi 30 to a bag.

Note to FMcGee: I'm a he.

brigala Explorer

BRM bread mix -- I like it OK, and I buy it occasionally. I like that it's high fiber and relatively high protein. I like the flavor of Pamela's or Gluten Free Pantry better.

BRM Cornbread -- I like it, and I use it exclusively now. My family will pretty much clear out a package along with chili or my Mexican version of a shepherd's pie. It makes a better muffin than loaf, as it's very dense and sometimes hard to get it cooked all the way through without overcooking the edges.

Corn Tortillas -- I spread a little peanut butter on one and toss it in the microwave for 10 seconds when I'm craving a sandwich and don't have bread handy. Since I can't find an off-the-shelf bread I can force down, and I don't eat enough bread to warrant baking every day, I don't always have bread available.

-Elizabeth

mushroom Proficient

I just baked a BRM bread mix today, my first; had to bake an extra 7 minutes for the altitude up here; we both love the flavor and texture. Would definitely use again.

GlutenGalAZ Enthusiast

I haven't tired any of Bob's Red Mill mixes b/c they all contain tapioca flour or starch in them (I can't have).

I do get their corn starch, potato starch, baking soda/powder, white and brown rice flours and other flours and haven't had any problems.

I "think" I read somewhere that some of their mixes contain bean flours so some people do like them and some don't.

I agree with the other posts... Corn tortialls are very handy and inexpensive.

I get Mission White Corn and heat it up on the stove in a pan. It makes it where it doesn't crack and break and it changes the texture/taste some too.

Good Luck

Archived