This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten-free Foods Give Dh (not Celiac) Digestive Issues?

Jana315

Jana315 Apprentice

:unsure: I'm really having a hard time with this! A bit of a reversal, but since getting off of gluten, I feel like a new person, but now DH is having digestive issues from rice flour, rice pasta, etc. I think it is in his head....it is possible to react badly to rice fours & pastas.... :blink: Seriously?

Any advice?

Jana

gluten free since 5/13

nightshade free since 5/15

positive dietary responses...I will not be seeking a medical diagnosis because I have crappy health insurance

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

hinoko Newbie

I can't give you a definitive answer, but I can tell you that the Starbucks Valencia Orange Cake, while completely gluten free, does NOT agree with me.

I guess everyone has their own problems.

Ahorsesoul Enthusiast

I suggest you try a week long test. Make dinner that one serving is gluten free and on is not for your dh. Make sure to let him know you are making his items with gluten. Keep checking on how he is doing. The week after this make the dinners all gluten free but do not tell him. If it's all in his head you will be able to tell.

rlbcabjm Newbie

My daughter and I are gluten free as she has celiac. When my husband eats our gluten free foods he gets diarrhea and cramping really bad.

hannahp57 Contributor

My husband and i were talking about this today actually.

He has noticed that when he only he eats my food for a while his bm's are never solid. He told me he never feels sick its just affects his digestion i guess. He said it isnt like D, it just doesn't come out normally. Has anyone else seen this within their families. Obviously i don't mind i he doesn't want gluten free food so i know he isn't trying to whine his way out. I really dont want him to keeo eating my foods if they are secretly affecting him the way his foods affect me!

Jana315 Apprentice

It is reassuring that other non-celiacs have issues with gluten-free foods. Just to confirm that it is more than fiction for him, he happily ate some nice gluten-free biscuits that I made yesterday and his stomach hurt all day. He mentioned the BM issue as well. It really does suck because I'm VERY gluten sensitive and I don't want the house full of gluten foods, but he's an awesome baker and he is willing to eat the gluten-free foods, but they made him sick. It's too bad. Guess we'll just have to take turns making our own foods and then freeze the leftovers.

hannahp57 Contributor

My kitchen isn't completely gluten free but im not super sensitive. i'd say im somewhere in the middle. crumbs and such will get me but i can cook with wheat if i was my hands ALOT!

my recommendation is have gluten free cabinets and non gluten free cabinets. designate which counters he will use and which you will use.

Remind him not to double dip in the peanut butter, butter, etc. i think it is very feasible if you take precautions and always label!!!! we have separate butter. i use real butter and hubby uses margarine so no confusion. separate toasters. don't get discourage. it could just be one specific flour or starch that you use. my hubby suggested maybe its the xanthan since none of the non gluten free stuff has it at all. but i dont know that is possible

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

if he isn't bothered by plain rice, then it'd be a little odd, but not impossible. of course, you don't have to use any substitutes. consider whether or not he's getting enough fiber and other vitamins, as well.

Korwyn Explorer
:unsure: I'm really having a hard time with this! A bit of a reversal, but since getting off of gluten, I feel like a new person, but now DH is having digestive issues from rice flour, rice pasta, etc. I think it is in his head....it is possible to react badly to rice fours & pastas.... :blink: Seriously?

Hi Jana,

Is it possible he has developed an sensitivity or intolerance to rice due to the sudden high (I assume) amount he is eating? You can develop an intolerance to anything. Have you tried changing to things like arrowroot and sorghum flours, tapioca starch and flour, etc?

Jana315 Apprentice

Thanks for the suggestions - we are narrowing it down. For example, he can eat the brown rice pasta - maybe it is the xanthan gum when we make baked goods - it is definitely more with the baked goods. Is there a substitute for xanthan gum? Yikes....

Jana

Korwyn Explorer
Thanks for the suggestions - we are narrowing it down. For example, he can eat the brown rice pasta - maybe it is the xanthan gum when we make baked goods - it is definitely more with the baked goods. Is there a substitute for xanthan gum? Yikes....

Jana

Guar gum, but it is known to have a laxative effect for some people.

GFinDC Veteran

I wonder if you add some fiber to the gluten-free bread, if that might help? You could try adding some psyillium husks or some other fiber. Just a thot.

shayesmom Rookie

Jana

I've found that unflavored gelatin works well as a substitute for xanthan gum. I usually add a tablespoon of it to my recipes to help with elasticity, density and texture. And personally, I don't really care for the taste of xanthan gum in most of my homemade goods.

You also may want to look at the types of flours you're using. For example, my mother has horrific stomach pains if she eats things with bean or chickpea flours. Another friend has major issues with corn (most baked goods call for large amounts of cornstarch which could overload someone's system).

I do agree with the pp who mentioned sorghum and arrowroot. I love gluten-free baked goods with those. Almond flour gives nice flavor as well. Arrowroot is a great substitution for potato or corn starch.

Jana315 Apprentice

I love all these suggestions/ideas! It really helps. DH has now re-qualified his statement that the brown rice pasta bothers him somewhat, but doesn't give him the s***s like the baked goods do....SO, now we are trying to get away from xantham gums for baked goods - seems easy enough and are trying out some new flours - like coconut, almond, arrowroot & others suggested here. I can't have potatoes either, so we've been using tapioca starch and I've not tried bean flours - personally, just a little wary of anything that can produce gas (for my own sake, I've had enough of that for a lifetime...). We have on hand, sorghum flour, white rice flour, brown rice flour, corn starch & sweet rice flour.

Pac Apprentice

Most celiacs I know use flax seeds as a "healthier" substitute to xanthan or guar gum. Just grind a spoonful of seeds and add a little hot water. In sweet cakes you can add shredded apples to the mix. (I have three apple trees in my garden, so I use them often.)

As for the flours, my favorites are quinoa, millet, teff, amaranth and corn, but seldom eat any, because starchy food gives me almost the same reaction as wheat. :(

Pavla

• 1 month later...
halfrunner Apprentice

My DH is much happier on gluten-free foods (he's intolerant) and doing well. I'm not reacting well to them, so we're maintaining a dual household. We have our own food shelves & prep space, as well as his & hers shelves in the fridge & freezer.

I know that I've been "craving" wheat based foods because I've been upto my elbows in gluten free cooking over the last week trying to master baked goods and that my cravings are mostly mental. But the gastric distress I've been experiencing much of today isn't. :P And I've been using flax seeds or unflavored gelatin in place of the xanthan gum. I'm thinking it's all the rice flour and starches that I've been using.

darlindeb25 Collaborator

I can't use flax, in any form. I can't have grains anymore, due to the fact that they often have some CC.

Could you try going a week without pasta, see if that helps. Natural foods. I eat chicken breast and veggies for supper. Your hubby could have potatoes, and you could have the pasta, if you need too. Then you would maybe find out if it is the rice flour. I can't have rice flour. If y ou do not have problems with corn, maybe try the corn products, although I never thought they were as good as the rice speghetti or macaroni.

Jana315 Apprentice

For pasta, we've found a compromise with the Quinoa pasta but I do keep some shells around for easy mac & cheese. He's staying away from my baked goods entirely, which is okay with me. I've taken to freezing them in single serve portions to maintain freshness, etc. Guess it is working out. I'm feeling much better - over 3 months now gluten-free! Yea! DH still has more gas, but I'm NOT accepting responsibility for that. The dog has been worse too lately - :lol: have NO idea why.

Jana

• 1 month later...
T.H. Community Regular

On the off chance this helps...when I went gluten free, I got SO ill. Couldn't imagine why. And then we figured out that I was reacting to some of the common ingredients in the gluten free bread mixes and stuff, mostly the sugar cane! They tend to use less process sugar in the gluten-free stuff, and that's what was getting to me.

If he was reacting to your gluten-free foods, though, it is really likely that he reacts a little to this food all the time and isn't noticing as much when it's mixed with other foods. He might feel much better if he could figure out what is messing him up, yeah? (Oh, and I reacted to rice and corn, too, LOL)

For pasta, we've found a compromise with the Quinoa pasta but I do keep some shells around for easy mac & cheese. He's staying away from my baked goods entirely, which is okay with me. I've taken to freezing them in single serve portions to maintain freshness, etc. Guess it is working out. I'm feeling much better - over 3 months now gluten-free! Yea! DH still has more gas, but I'm NOT accepting responsibility for that. The dog has been worse too lately - :lol: have NO idea why.

Jana

angieInCA Apprentice

Yes, one can react to too much of anything. Especially if you have drastically increased your intake suddenly.

My Stepdaughter cannot tollerate to much rice of any kind. In small amounts or maybe a serving or two a week she is OK. She cannot tollerate Jasmine Rice or White Sticky Rice at all.

If she eats any of my home baked Gluten Free breads or cakes with rice flour it make her sick and causes discomfort.

Archived