8 replies to this topic

#1 Candy

Candy

Advanced Community Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 04:11 AM

I learned of this autoimmune disease cure from Dr. Mercola's website and I sware I felt sorta normal again and I desired and ate a wheat bagel and wheat noodles;and felt OK afterwards too.

Do you think the Alpha Lipoic Acid reversed my Autoimmune Celiac Disease-I hope it does!

You gotta try some ALA !!!!!!!!!!!
I have DNA ancestry in NW.EUROPE,where CELIAC'S known to be common.

DEC. '05 TESTED POSITIVE for the Celiac GENES HLA-DQ2 , and DQ3 SUBTYPE DQ8
Celiac Negative Endoscopy-Aug.'08 - Diagnosed with Hernia and GERD(Gastric Esophageal Reflux Disease),and prescribed Acid Reducing Medication. I hadn't eaten WHEAT for a year prior to the Endoscopy-maybe that's why result was Negative. I need TTG test to determine Active Celiac Status/

Disgnosed with Sjogren's 9/19/2008- Internist referred me to Eye Doctor and Rheumatologist.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Candy

Candy

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 04:18 AM

And don't forget the Hydrangea Root as well as the Alpha Lipoic Acid as they both are said to reverse Autoimmune diseases.

WOW! I hope these alternative treatments work !!!! Oh WOW!!
I have DNA ancestry in NW.EUROPE,where CELIAC'S known to be common.

DEC. '05 TESTED POSITIVE for the Celiac GENES HLA-DQ2 , and DQ3 SUBTYPE DQ8
Celiac Negative Endoscopy-Aug.'08 - Diagnosed with Hernia and GERD(Gastric Esophageal Reflux Disease),and prescribed Acid Reducing Medication. I hadn't eaten WHEAT for a year prior to the Endoscopy-maybe that's why result was Negative. I need TTG test to determine Active Celiac Status/

Disgnosed with Sjogren's 9/19/2008- Internist referred me to Eye Doctor and Rheumatologist.

#3 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 06:55 AM

I'm guessing that they don't actually change the expression of your genes (they don't deactivate the genes, that is), so... no, they're not going to "cure* the autoimmune condition. Your body is still going to recognize wheat as a foreign substance. Whether it is actually reducing expression of that gene, reducing reactivity of the produced immune molecules with gluten, reducing the rate at which the product of that reaction can damage the intestines, or is just masking symptoms... who knows? I'm no GI, but I would not rely on this to allow you to eat wheat and expect to not get any internal damage.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#4 FMcGee

FMcGee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 07:02 AM

I actually just had a doctor on the phone, and her response was, "Yeah, right." She's someone who's pretty open to natural remedies and definitely open to new ideas, and she said that you can actually hurt yourself a lot with this stuff, aside from the possibility that it's just masking the symptoms of the disease and you're still getting intestinal damage. It isn't safe to use this stuff, and not because it's "non-Western" medicine, but because the long-term, big study, double-blind research isn't there. So, you know. Just a couple more cents. Also, there is absolutely no way to change your genes, so you still have celiac disease, there's no cure. Even if someone comes up with the perfect vaccine, it won't cure the disease, it will just minimize the damage from gluten exposure.

#5 Darn210

Darn210

Cookies!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 08:44 AM

Candy,

I'm worried about the message that you are sending out. Newly diagnosed Celiacs may think that the gluten free diet is optional if they try some of these remedies that you have posted about. I know you've been at this a couple of years and I think you are still in denial that this is a life long committment.

Looking at your past topics, you seem to be looking for a quick cure. About three years ago, you thought you were cured because you were eating gluten products and not getting sick. Obviously, somewhere along the line, you started having symptoms again.

You were also looking for the gluten digestion enzyme so that you could eat gluten . . . this may help someone who is gluten intolerant but would be dangerous for a Celiac.

You were looking at trying Einkorn (an ancient form of wheat) . . . and wheat grass.

Now you are promoting the hydrangea root and ALA and once again eating gluten products. How do you know that you are just experiencing what happened the first time around?? That you are able to ingest gluten for awhile and then your system is going to start reacting again.

I suggest that you put your effort into finding safe good-tasting gluten-free foods.

Celiac disease requires a gluten free diet. Anything else at this point in time is speculative, experimental and dangerous in my opinion.
Janet

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

Posted Image

#6 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 09:15 AM

apparently, some very initial study on hydrangea root has been done in the scientific community. (same for ALA)

http://www.medicalne...cles/152822.php

BUT, this isn't saying that it stops the immune system from attacking itself, it's saying that it reduces the inflammation caused by the auto-immune response. A gluten free diet is the only CURE for celiac disease (and, celiac disease the only auto-immune condition with a 'CURE'). So, less damage? Perhaps. No damage? No long term consequences? There is no reason to believe that based on evidence so far.

(ALA is just a very strong anti-oxidant, which also affects glucose intake by the cells. It doesn't have the immune specificity that the study linked above suggests for auto-immune conditions. It'd be interesting to see if there will ever be more research on this...)
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#7 mamaw

mamaw

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 09:50 AM

Lets face it the only real fix is the gluten-free lifestyle for life....I think we all wish there was a real fix but as time rolls on we know the gluten-free diet is the only fix.I think that may be a hard choice to swallow for some...

#8 FMcGee

FMcGee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 09:56 AM

Lets face it the only real fix is the gluten-free lifestyle for life....I think we all wish there was a real fix but as time rolls on we know the gluten-free diet is the only fix.I think that may be a hard choice to swallow for some...

I completely agree, and don't think this is limited to people with celiac disease. Look how many "quick fix" diet plans are out there, and every year there's a new pill that promises to actually work this time, you guys, no really, we mean it now. They never work. The only way to really be healthy is to eat a balanced diet and exercise. Some people are naturally thin, and some people lose weight (temporarily) on fad diets, but they're not actually doing themselves any favors in the long run by neglecting their eating and exercise habits and not learning how to really nourish their bodies. It's the same phenomenon. Our bodies can be very frustrating sometimes, especially if we're essentially forced into a gluten-free diet or feel like we can't win the battle against extra weight. The first thing to do to be successful in gluten-free living or weight loss is to realize that it's hard, and that in both cases, it's as much a psychological/emotional game as a physical one. Just as most people feel better at a healthy weight, most people with celiac feel better if they're not eating gluten. That doesn't mean some people can't accept that and try every quick fix on the market.

#9 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,769 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 11:48 AM

Trying what your trying is dangerous as many have pointed out. You have been gluten free for a while and after someone heals it can take time for the GI symptoms to return. That is why doctors used to think children outgrew celiac, they now know that is not the case. Meanwhile you are reactivating the antibodies and they can choose any organ to impact that they want. You are risking your liver, gallbladder, thyroid, your ability to get pregnant and carry a baby to term, and even your brain. I know it can be tough to stick with the diet but the choices of gluten free items available grows every day. I do hope you will stop risking your health and looking for the 'magic pill' that will somehow change your genetic makeup so that you are no longer celiac.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: