This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Some Rather Graphic Bm Discussion Follows

Wandering Hermit

Wandering Hermit Contributor

Well I know you all are no strangers to this discussion, and I can't really share this with anyone else...

Before my diagnosis, I got the big D on the avergae about 1 in 10 days, and serious cramps about 1 in 4 days. But even on the 'good days' my BMs were rather bothersome and somehow just wrong - rather loose and usually foul-smelling, and it seemed like I went through TP at a incredible rate. Also had what I think was mucus with the stool. The other bothersome thing is that when I flushed, the stool would practically disintegrate in the bowl as it went down - it just didn't look right at all. (My doctor did not find any of this interesting). Plus I was getting horrible hemmoroids too.

But now, after just 3.5 days of gluten-free, I am having the most normal BMs I have ever had! One solid peice, no discomfort, no wateriness, no disintegrating in the bowl. Did anyone else notice this change, or am I just experiencing a coincidence?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

I never had "D" it was more the other way around for me but yes I noticed quickly that cleared up. Some people see a difference as quick as you did and others don't....that's great that cleared up alot :D Did you tell your family about celiac yet or are they still out of town?

celiac3270 Collaborator

Glad that you're feeling better so quickly! :D

Your stool descriptions did sound classic celiac. Celiac is often associated with diarrhea or constipation--moreso diarrhea, I think. The cramps were symptoms many of us had (myself included). Loose stools, mucus, etc. all sound celiac. Another thing some celiacs have is floating stools, but your stools are celiac enough without that :lol: .

Once again, happy to hear you're having success so quickly. Keep up the good work! :)

Wandering Hermit Contributor
I never had "D" it was more the other way around for me but yes I noticed quickly that cleared up. Some people see a difference as quick as you did and others don't....that's great that cleared up alot :D Did you tell your family about celiac yet or are they still out of town?

They got back to town yesterday. This whole thing has got me so frazzled that I screamed at my wife this morning. I feel like such a jerk. Funny how I am physically feeling better but mentally I am shot.

Just dropped $250 on new cookware and kitchen stuff. Spent the AM cleaning and tossing stuff out. My wife agreed for now to throw out the flour. They can have bread, cereal, frozen pizzas, tortillas, but no powdery stuff.

Peaches503 Newbie

Part of my symptoms include the typical celiac stools, however, I suffered from sever constipation (sometimes not going for a month!) I've been gluten-free for 2 weeks and haven't noticed a change. I am eating all the fruits and veggies and stuff, but nothing seems to help. What can I do? Anyone with similar problems that has advice?

celiac3270 Collaborator

It is extremely mentally and emotionally draining at first. Once we feel like we have everything under control, though, this diet works mental/emotional wonders on us. Many here had anxiety or depression before starting the diet, some even on pills for it, and are now 100% fine.

You seem to be doing very well, though, at educating yourself on this--and knowledge truly is power.

ianm Apprentice

Peaches503, It will take a lot longer than 2 weeks to notice any difference. The average seems to be at least three months for any noticable changes to occur and a good year to really be healthy. There is no instant cure. You will have to carefully monitor your diet and give it more time. It WILL get better and you will be glad you stuck with it.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

burdee Enthusiast

Peaches:

My celiac symptoms included cramping, bloating and constipation. When fiber from fruits, vegies and grains didn't resolve my constipation, I learned that European doctors often suggest a combination of Vitamin C (starting with 500 mg) and Magnesium (starting with 400 mg). You can add more until you get loose stools and then cut back. I can't use laxatives because I'm sensitive to sorbitol/mannitols which are used to stimulate intestines in most laxatives, but the vitamin C/Magesium really helped me. Long after vitamin C/Magnesium combo helped me get 'regular', I learned that most celiacs are severely deficient in Magnesium which would explain why that helped me. I also had floating (hard) stools BEFORE I began to abstain from DAIRY (even after abstaining from gluten). Now, after 10 dairy free months, when I get gluten contamination, I react like a 'classic' celiac with diarrhea. So I'm curious ... do you react to dairy? I thought I was just lactose intolerant until I got my Enterolab results which indicated casein intolerance (antibodies like with gluten). After I completely abstained from the dairy, my stools gradually became more normal and then finally more 'celiac' after gluten slips.

BURDEE

debmidge Rising Star

Not only BM consistency is a clue, but color. Especially noted is colorless, grey or tan, or even white-ish coloring. This cleared up after about a month gluten-free.

Peaches503 Newbie

Hi Burdee,

I'm not lactose intolerant, but I appreciate your response. I will ask my doctor about the vitamin C and magnesium. Thank you.

-Peaches

Chrissy in England Newbie

Peaches, I agree with Burdee on the Magnesium and Vita C. I used to go to the IBS Forum and was told about it. I started taking the Mag about 9 months ago and it did alright for me. I was still having gluten in my diet, though - didn't know about the gluten-free thing yet. Anyway, try it. I also had sevre constipation (not going for a month) and then D out of no where for days. Poop floated big time and I actually thought I was a rabbit from the size of them! I have been gluten free after almost 6 weeks still taking the Mag (and every other vitamin under the sun) and it has made a big difference in my constitution.

Peaches503 Newbie

Chrissy,

Your situation sounds very similar to mine. Thanks for the reply. I will be sure to try the vitamin C and magnesium. How much of each should I take?

burdee Enthusiast

Peaches:

My naturopathic guidebook said start with 500 mg of Vitamin C and 400 mg of Magnesium. If that's not enough increase by 100 mg increments of each until you get really loose stools. Then cut back if necessary. However, after staying gluten-free and dairy free for almost a year, I have 'normal' stools for the first time in my life. Mg and Vitamin C prevented hard constipation, but abstaining from dairy and gluten made me NORMAL. :D

BURDEE

Peaches503 Newbie

Burdee,

Thank you so much! I really appreciate your help. I can't tell you how much better it makes me feel to know that I'm not alone- and that there's help for my symptoms! I'm going to start the VC and Mag right away. I'm looking forward to feeling normal again!

Peaches503 Newbie

I forgot to ask, when do you usually take your VC and Mg? In the morning or in the evening? Does it make a difference as to when they will "work"?

-Peaches

jknnej Collaborator

Ok, the whole "floating" stool issue-I still get that after 4 months gluten-free. Normal?

skbird Contributor

I do, too. Supposedly it reflects fat in your stool so I figured I had malabsorption issues but my test indicates I don't. I don't know.

Oh, isn't this fun??? :P

Stephanie

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

I have heard that not all stools that float are necessarily bad. It doesn't always mean malabsorption.

burdee Enthusiast

Just to add my experience to the 'floating stool' topic ... I had them all my life UNTIL I after eliminated casein (dairy). Even after abstaining from gluten I still had floating (and often hard) stools. My Enterolab malabsorption tests were normal. Several months after I eliminated all dairy (as well as gluten and soy), I finally experienced 'normal' stools (not loose or hard). When I get gluten contamination, I now get 'classic' celiac diarrhea, instead of my former constipation and excruciating pain. I suspect dairy influenced my constipation all along. <_<

BURDEE

ianm Apprentice

I read somewhere once that floating stools indicate you are eating a lot of fiber. These discussions just get more gripping everyday :lol: .

christicrete Rookie

I am so glad someone is willing to talk about s#@$! I have always been constipated and bloated and gassy then I'd just let "loose" every so often. Never normal stool. My GI is an antisocial moron (who of course knows everything) and my Internal Medicine guy is just passing this to the GI (same clinic network). But getting to the point: I know I'm not getting this total gluten free thing right because I am still bloating altho not to the point I was, My ulcerative proctitis is better but not symptom free, and stools vary so much that I am ready to get an outhouse so no one in the house has to deal with me anymore. (but then I would probably disrupt the neighbors) :unsure: I have blood and mucus in my stool most times and sometimes just pass blood and mucus sans stool. (symptoms of the proctitis, which I am sure is gluten related). Funny twist tho, I was on the atkins diet for over a year and all my intestinal problems went away completely. ALL OF THEM altho i did not notice the floaters incident. I was regular for the first time in my life! and then added all those pesky carbs back in and BOOM what a mistake. All my symptoms came back ten fold. Now it seems I am intollerant to other grains as well and can not figure out which ones I can have.

OK so now that I have been so graffic and you know me so personally now, Does anyone have any insite?

Also, how much is the entrolab testing, I have only been tested for Celiacs while on atkins or restriting gluten

Thanks,

Christi

mommida Enthusiast

Peaches,

My daughter and i tend to have the "D". My son, HOLY (*^ has the constipation. It is like he is giving birth! No toilet on earth can get these suckers down. Defies the laws of physics. The cal/mag advice sounds right. I've learned to let my son eat as many oranges as he can to get him going again. Vitamin c and fiber. I will never let it go longer than 3 days without the b.m. which means suppository. Sounds cruel, but 3 days and the kid can't even walk right.

All those b.m. descriptions sound familar to me, guess we found our own kind of normal.

Thanks for letting me get that off my chest.

ianm Apprentice

Christicrete, The Atkins diet has worked wonders for me. The only time grain is allowed in the Atkins diet is in the final maintenance stage and only in very small quantities. I follow the diet to the letter except for grains of course. Sounds to me like you should go back on the Atkins diet.

When you started eating more carbs what kind of carbs were you eating? I cannot eat tree fruits like apples and citrus because the come out as fast as they go in. I stick with green veggies and low fructose fruits like berries and buckwheat is great, lots of fiber, protien and low carb.

Archived