This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Frozen Gluten Free Bread?

ceyannuzzi

ceyannuzzi Newbie

I just got diagnosed with celiac disease a few days ago so I'm virtually clueless about the diet...learning though.

I bought some Gluten-Free bread from Whole Foods in their frozen food section. Obviously I keep it frozen, but what do I want to do when I want to eat it? I don't want soggy bread. <_<

THANKS to anyone who can help.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

My favorite bread at Whole Foods is the Prairie Bread. I think most of us toast the bread.

ceyannuzzi Newbie

Thanks I"ll try it.

Do I just take it out of the fridge & toast it???

My favorite bread at Whole Foods is the Prairie Bread. I think most of us toast the bread.
mamaw Community Regular

When I get bread I'm going to freeze I slice it if not already sliced, then I put a piece of paper between the slcies . This makes for easy seperation . If not you usually will have to use a knife & hammer to get it seperated!!!!!

You can thrw it in the fridge or I just nuke it for a few seconds to soften it up a bit, then toast or if making a sandwich I thraw the whole way.

Whole Foods has a small gluten-free bakery by their reg bakery. The WF white or sundried tomato/garlic bread makes yummy grilled cheese....

Anna's bread mix is a good mix if you decide to want to make your own

Please feel free to ask questions....

blessings

mamaw

ceyannuzzi Newbie

This one was pre-sliced but already frozen. I"ll get my hammer ready. i'll keep your name handy for more questions, which will certainly come up!

When I get bread I'm going to freeze I slice it if not already sliced, then I put a piece of paper between the slcies . This makes for easy seperation . If not you usually will have to use a knife & hammer to get it seperated!!!!!

You can thrw it in the fridge or I just nuke it for a few seconds to soften it up a bit, then toast or if making a sandwich I thraw the whole way.

Whole Foods has a small gluten-free bakery by their reg bakery. The WF white or sundried tomato/garlic bread makes yummy grilled cheese....

Anna's bread mix is a good mix if you decide to want to make your own

Please feel free to ask questions....

blessings

mamaw

Lisa Mentor

One more note. Don't try to make a grilled cheese sandwich just yet. It takes talent. You'll find that the gluten-free bread soaks up all the cheese. :o

hannahp57 Contributor

haha that reminds me... i got so used to making hot ham and cheese with my gluten-free bread that when i got married and started making sandwiches with my husband regular bread i was completely thrown off my game lol

i usually nuke my bread for just a little bit of time at like half power and then i either toast it in the toaster or i butter it and do the grilled cheese thing. i have also made cinnamon toast and just put it in the broiler for a couple mintues. yum

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Foxfire62 Newbie

If you eat bread often, keeping one loaf in the refrigerator is fine. But I don't like the bread cold, so I just warm mine up a few seconds in the microwave...then perfect!

FMcGee Explorer

Yes, definitely toast it (in a safe toaster!). I found the frozen bread so inedible (and we don't have a Whole Foods here in Sticksville, so I can't get the good stuff) that I caved and started making my own. With a bread maker and some mixes it's really not a big time-suck, and it tastes SO much better. I freeze what I'm not going to eat within a couple of days, putting two pieces of wax paper between the slices. The two pieces makes the difference for me. If you do this, make sure the bread is COMPLETELY cool before you freeze it - I won't be making that mistake again. My bread turned into ice cubes.

foodiegurl Collaborator

I agree about Whole Food's prairie bread, it is yummy! Honestly, I prefer the gluten-free frozen bread to all the regular gluten-filled breads that are full of preservatives and shelf-stable.

GlutenGalAZ Enthusiast

I use to put the frozen slices in the microwave for a couple seconds... then the toaster I got (I think a lot are like this now) has a frozen or defrost button on it and WOW that worked soooo much better then trying to defrost it some in the microwave first.

I haven't found a store bread yet that I care for so when I want bread I make my own and cool/freeze it, majority of the time now though I prefer just heating up in a pan a white corn tortilla. Make it a little crispy not burnt and it is pretty good for anything (quick pizza, wraps, sandwiches, tacos/burritos etc).

Good Luck. Bread is defanately trial and error in the beginning.

peacebwu Rookie

I tried Ener-g egg free raisin load (cannot have diary, soy, gluten, egg) bad news. I bought 6 loaves on Amazon. Tried toasting ugh! Tried micro tiny bit better....I'm stuck..no returns! Would never buy again. I did freeze other 5 loaves (oh well maybe one day I'll use). Have used their Light Tapioca Loaf (wheat, dairy, gluten free)not too bad toasted (bought also on Amazon 6 for 17.14 plus s/h.)

They say not necessary to freeze! I'll keep you posted on this one!

Lisa Mentor

Some gluten free breads have other talents. Door stops and biceps enhancers comes to mind :o

ceyannuzzi Newbie

thanks. I'll see if my toaster has that option. I tried the bread i bought that was frozen. defrosted first then toasted. it wasn't awful. i wish it was bigger & fewer calories.

I use to put the frozen slices in the microwave for a couple seconds... then the toaster I got (I think a lot are like this now) has a frozen or defrost button on it and WOW that worked soooo much better then trying to defrost it some in the microwave first.

I haven't found a store bread yet that I care for so when I want bread I make my own and cool/freeze it, majority of the time now though I prefer just heating up in a pan a white corn tortilla. Make it a little crispy not burnt and it is pretty good for anything (quick pizza, wraps, sandwiches, tacos/burritos etc).

Good Luck. Bread is defanately trial and error in the beginning.

Wenmin Enthusiast

Ceyannuzzi,

Try Frozen Kinnikinnick Gluten Free White Sandwich Bread. It is the best I found yet. When I am ready for bread, I take it out of the freezer and put it in the refrigerator. It will last up to two weeks in the fridge. When needed, I toast before using (in a safe toaster of course). Sometimes I bake my own using Gluten Free Pantry Favorite Sandwich Bread Mix. Cool and freeze half wrapped in wax paper and aluminum foil then place in Ziploc bag in freezer.

Peacebwu,

I used this recipe this weekend and it was DELICIOUS! (modified with gLuten free bread of course) Perhaps you could use all those frozen raisin breads to create this recipe although it does not call for raisins they do go well with cinnamon.

Cinnamon Bread Pudding

1 loaf Bread (approximately 2 pound loaf of GLuten Free Bread)

Slice thin and toast bread in oven, flipping once

Combine:

1/4 cup sugar

1 teaspoon cinnamon

Tear bread into small pieces and layer in 9 x 13 pan. Between layers of bread, sprinkle cinnamon sugar until all bread is used and all cinnamon sugar is used.

Combine:

8 ounces pet milk

4 eggs (beaten)

1 1/2 - 2 cups sugar (depends on how sweet you want it)

1 stick butter or margarine (melted)

2 tablespoons gluten free vanilla

4 cups hot water (add slowly not to cook eggs)

Pour over bread and cinnamon sugar in pan. Allow to sit for a few minutes to soak up some of the liquid.

Bake at 350 degrees for about 60-75 minutes or longer, depending on liquid. Top will brown some, but don't let it burn.

When almost finished baking, combine in sauce pan:

1 stick of butter

1 cup sugar

Heat until it boils

Beat 1 egg and temper with butter and sugar, then add to mixture.

Add 1 teaspoon vanilla and pour over bread pudding while still hot.

Allow to cool; ENJOY!

Wenmin

HiDee Rookie
I tried Ener-g egg free raisin load (cannot have diary, soy, gluten, egg) bad news. I bought 6 loaves on Amazon. Tried toasting ugh! Tried micro tiny bit better....I'm stuck..no returns! Would never buy again. I did freeze other 5 loaves (oh well maybe one day I'll use). Have used their Light Tapioca Loaf (wheat, dairy, gluten free)not too bad toasted (bought also on Amazon 6 for 17.14 plus s/h.)

They say not necessary to freeze! I'll keep you posted on this one!

Maybe if you pull out the raisins you could use them as bread crumbs or cube them for stuffing......

good luck ;)

dnwiebe Newbie
One more note. Don't try to make a grilled cheese sandwich just yet. It takes talent. You'll find that the gluten-free bread soaks up all the cheese. :o

haha I totally tried to make a grilled cheese sandwich the first night I was gluten-free. Big mistake. :P Now I usually make some basted soft eggs with some gluten-free toast (I like white tapioca bread (kinnikinnik), or the cheese bread (glutino)). It's really good if you put the bread in the toaster oven with some shredded cheese on top! :)

Dani

JNBunnie1 Community Regular
Maybe if you pull out the raisins you could use them as bread crumbs or cube them for stuffing......

good luck ;)

That's what I was going to suggest, the Ener-g bread is godawful for eating but oddly makes WONDERFUL stuffing, like thanksgiving stuffing. Not sure how that would work with the cinnamon raisin. :ph34r:

mamaw Community Regular

I can't believe that some of you are having trouble making a grilled cheese. I use either Whole Foods white or else the sun dried tomato/ garlic bread. If frozen I let it set out a bit or I have done it frozen but it takes longer. I use three cheeses, provolone, smoked gouda, & scamorrizi. I've made these from day one gluten-free... never had a failure. I only butter the outside of the bread sometimes adding garlic powder or Italian spices. I use a griddle ( electric). The kids have made these as well.

I don't understand how you can mess up a grilled cheese... & we love AMy's gluten-free tomato bisque soup with it. comfort food all the way.......

I have hammered a few loafs of frozen bread apart. I wish the bakers would realize when they freeze first they would know to put paper between slices. I could never use a whole loaf of bread up before it got moldy...

Lisa Mentor

I think the key to a good grilled cheese, is multiple slices of cheese, or more than one slice that some of us remember in the "old" days.

• 2 weeks later...
momofceliacchild Newbie
I just got diagnosed with celiac disease a few days ago so I'm virtually clueless about the diet...learning though.

I bought some Gluten-Free bread from Whole Foods in their frozen food section. Obviously I keep it frozen, but what do I want to do when I want to eat it? I don't want soggy bread. <_<

momofceliacchild Newbie
2ofus2kids2dogs Apprentice

Hey - check out my topic I added about my George Foreman grill. It made an amazing grilled ham and cheese with the Whole Foods sandwich bread - and it was my very first try. I just thawed the bread (just on the counter) for about 30-45 minutes first. I hope you enjoy your bread. Did you by chance by the biscuits? Those are FANTASTIC!!!

GFinDC Veteran

I tried the Glutino gluten-free fiber bread recently and like that. It has more texture with actual air holes in it. Also it is dairy free. I think the WF breads are fine also (not as good texture though), but I think they all have dairy too. Either one beats the Energe brand by a mile IMHO. Energe crumbles into dust too easy, and has no real texture to it. I think they found it in the pyramids. Good exercize bread as was mentioned. The Glutino is the best I have tried. WF's if dairy free would be fine as a 2nd choice. Kinickkinick would be 3rd place in my book. Please deposit 2 cents on the way out for the valuable opinions, thank you. :D Actually the microwave bread recipes are nice for a quick bun also.

Archived