River*

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 11:33 PM

Is yeast gluten free?
I read somewhere it comes from barley?
Is Fleischmann's quick rise instant yeast gluten free?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 RiceGuy

RiceGuy

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 02:24 AM

Ordinary baking yeast should be gluten-free. Fleischmann's says so on the package. Brewer's yeast however, is not gluten-free, according to the list of unsafe ingredients.
A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

#3 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,070 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 05:29 AM

Brewer's yeast is a byproduct of beer making, and is contaminated with barley. It is used as a flavor and not for leavening (it is already spent).

Other yeasts are safe.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#4 snoopgirl

snoopgirl

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 06:04 AM

Is yeast gluten free?
I read somewhere it comes from barley?
Is Fleischmann's quick rise instant yeast gluten free?

Be careful on this one. When I was buying chicken broth for my cornbread dressing for Thanksgiving, I read that the yeast in chicken broth can contain gluten. I don't remember the reason...sorry. I had to buy a special broth for my recipe. Mainly I advise that you read the labels. :)

#5 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 06:51 AM

Be careful on this one. When I was buying chicken broth for my cornbread dressing for Thanksgiving, I read that the yeast in chicken broth can contain gluten. I don't remember the reason...sorry. I had to buy a special broth for my recipe. Mainly I advise that you read the labels. :)

I'd like to know where you read that. Yeast, except for brewer's yeast as Peter noted above, is gluten-free.

That said, there are some chicken broths that contain wheat and they're clearly labeled. Some gluten-free brands that come to mind are Progresso, Pacific Foods and Kitchen Basics. I bought a small can from Food Lion this week and it's marked gluten-free on the can. Their store brand is My Essentials.
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#6 cap6

cap6

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 03:38 PM

Costco sells their Kirkland brand broth in bot organic & regular and both are labeled gluten free. Very reasonable price too.

#7 bbdailey

bbdailey

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 07:54 PM

Does all Brewers Yeast have gluten? I just bought this protein(garden of life raw protein) that said gluten/soy/dairy free. I thought it was giving me a reaction so I stopped taking it. Then sure enough I see that it has brewers yeast....dont know how they can call it gluten free then?

#8 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,070 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 09:41 PM

Does all Brewers Yeast have gluten? I just bought this protein(garden of life raw protein) that said gluten/soy/dairy free. I thought it was giving me a reaction so I stopped taking it. Then sure enough I see that it has brewers yeast....dont know how they can call it gluten free then?

No. Brewer's yeast may refer to the spent yeast from the brewing process, in which case it is contaminated with barley. It may also refer to the ingredient used to start the fermentation process, in which case it is safe. You can't tell just from the name.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.

#9 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 05:37 AM

You "read" wrong.

richard

#10 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 07:20 AM

Since there are about 13 different raw grain sprouts and probiotics in that protein formula, I suspect your "reaction" is not from gluten --but because it is full of fiber and that may be an overload on your system and that will certainly cause a "reaction". You may wish to back off that stuff until you heal a bit more?

Some "digestive aids, detox/healing cleansers, etc. " that are touted as helping people with GI tract issues are NOT suitable for celiac guts. So, you are likely having trouble digesting all those raw seeds at once.

Just my humble opinion.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#11 TeknoLen

TeknoLen

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 09:41 AM

It should be noted (IMHO) that people with stressed digestive systems should try to keep yeast intake to a minimum due to possible aggravation of conditions such as candidiasis, a yeast overgrowth in the gut that can impair immune system function.
  • self-dx gluten-sensitive 2007 but did not take it seriously
  • dx autoimmune Graves hyperthyroidism 9-7-11
  • second opinion doctor confirmed autoimmune hyperthyroid dx, suggested possible autoimmune thyroid-gluten sensitivity connection
  • medication-induced hyperthyroid remission 11-4-11
  • lab test dx gluten, casein, ovalbumin, and soy sensitive 12-15-11
  • taking diet seriously now, strict GFCFSF diet...

#12 joeybaby

joeybaby

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 03:50 PM

I'm new to the forum, but I do want to add my comment. You did not read wrong about yeast extract, it can be a barley product. My husband and I went to a Mexican restaurant the other day and I specifically asked if they put broth in their rice. They did, and they brought me the containers (they used 2 different kinds) and the chicken broth (in powder form) specifically said yeast extract (barley). We have since been trying to avoid it. Sorry I can't verify for all yeast extracts.

#13 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 06:08 PM

Yeast and I are long time enemies.

#14 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,070 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 06:20 PM

Yeast and I are long time enemies.

Yeast sensitivity does happen, but it has nothing to do with celiac disease or gluten.
Peter

#15 Grams05

Grams05

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 03:27 AM

Woooow..Look what I found

nuts.com has Certified Gluten-Free yeast