10 replies to this topic

#1 aaronify

aaronify

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 09:51 AM

I'm an undiagnosed celiac (pretty dang sure!) and before I stopped eating gluten I never dreamed. I mean, I had like 10 dreams over a 4 year period. Everyone says "you were dreaming, you just don't remember" but I don't buy that. Now, even if I don't remember the dream once I wake up, I at least have a feeling that there was a dream; some residual emotion or an inkling that "something happened last night."

Just curious; anyone else have this?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 nutralady2001

nutralady2001

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 11:24 AM

No but I actually dream in colour............ I didn't know most people dream in black and white LOL
Diagnosed Eczema 1964 aged 16 but with what I know now from research am sure it was Dermatitis Herpetiformis
Diagnosed Irritable Bowel Syndrome 1969 at age 21 but had it from age of 12 many painful episodes over the years( was probably Coeliac all along)
Diagnosed Hashimoto's Disease/Hypothyroid November 1994
Low B12 November 2006
Low B12 (still!) July 2007 Docs are happy with results just above low end of normal..*sigh*....still need to resolve it
Gluten free since October 2006 after failing gluten challenge
Diagnosed Hiatus Hernia and Los Angeles Grade A reflux via endoscopy October 2007
Diagnosed with Coeliac Disease via same endoscopy / biopsy October 2007 (took them long enough!) despite being gluten-free damage still evident although had been taking iron tablets for iron deficiency without realizing they contained gluten. Subsequent blood tests show :Positive Anti-Gliadin IgA EIA antibodies, Positive Endomysial antibodies ,Positive tTG IgA antibodies of 300 ("normal" range 0-15)
Auto-immune disease goes back at least 5 generations in my family (and counting) Mainly Type 1 diabetes and rheumatoid arthritis.
Number 1 Son has Type 1 diabetes ..diagnosed March 2007 at age 31, number 2 son aged 24 is A/I disease free so far ,daughter has lichen planus ( similar to psoriasis) diagnosed 2003 at age 17 am now wondering if it is DH but with flippancy of the young she won't get any testing done

#3 dtgirl

dtgirl

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 12:36 PM

I never dream either. And everyone tells me I am but I don't remember. I used to dream as a kid, but it disappeared in my late teens. Maybe in the past 8 years I've had 5 dreams, if that.

#4 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 05:09 PM

I used to have very vivid dreams. Then they disappeared. I was recently diagnosed with sleep apnea. Not sure if this is the cause or not. Some people say it is. Now I am dreaming again.

#5 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 08:34 PM

I dream most of the night, both before and after (self)diagnosis. Some are more memorable than others, but they are always long and harrowing but not violent. Even when I am in violent situations, I feel safe and almost untouchable, more like an observer than a participant.

Often I incorporate real-time things in my dreams, and I used to have prophetic dreams until I suppressed them. They were too scary; I was afraid I would dream something reallly bad that would come true. I also have recurring dreams that seem to resolve once they are explained in my life.

I do believe that everyone dreams; some of us are more aware of them than others for some unexplainable (to me) reason. I would hate to let go ofl my dreams; even though exhausting they are fun and therapeutic and help to resolve issues that one can't deal with in a rational way. The subconscious is a wonderful thing :huh:
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#6 georgie

georgie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 12:03 AM

I never dream either. Probably 5 in 10 years ? I have some sleep apnoea dx ..so maybe that is a link... The gluten-free diet did not change things for me.

Diagnosed May 2006 - Hashimotos Thyroid after being diagnosed in 1977 and told it didn't matter.
Diagnosed June 2006 with adrenal insufficiency.
Diagnosed June 2006 as Gluten Intolerant after I failed the Challenge Diet. Negative blood test.No biopsy.
Diagnosed June 2006 as B12 low. Needed weekly injections for a year.Still have them every 2 weeks.
Trialled Dairy Free Diet and reacted positively to that challenge in January 07.
News Flash! Coeliac Genetic Testing done April 08 . DQ2 Positive !
Diagnosed July 2010 FODMAP. Limits on Fructose, lactose, polyols, fructans. NO ONION! But I can have hard cheese, butter and cream again!!!

#7 shendler

shendler

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 02:14 AM

I never had any dreams until I went gluten free. I think it probably has to do with what type of sleep I was having.

#8 darlindeb25

darlindeb25

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 04:49 AM

Yes, not dreaming is a symptom of sleep apnea, and sleep apnea is not induced by celiac disease. Often times, sleep apnea has a heriditary factor in that family members have the same bone structures, meaning the jaw bones may be the same, causing difficulty in breathing while asleep.

I was diagnosed with sleep apnea last summer, and have been on CPAP ever since. I wasn't dreaming either. I haven't noticed a huge difference with CPAP, but I do dream now, very vivid dreams sometimes.

The reason you do not dreams is because you are not getting to the stage when dreams appear.

Read up on sleep apnea, you may then realize you have other symptoms, symptoms you never realized. After being diagnosed, I remembered things I had said over the years, symptoms I had. After going gluten free 9 years ago, I posted in a forum that many of my symptoms had gone away, except I still wasn't sleeping properly. Until being diagnosed, I had forgotten all about that post, and was thinking I didn't sleep simply because it was part of me. Now, I realize it's another disease, along with my insomnia, neuropathy, arthritis, raynauds, and celiac.
Deb
Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!

#9 Brittany2

Brittany2

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 10:31 AM

I would always dream a ton, almost remember the whole story of one dream a night. When my symptoms were kicking in hard core my sleep was so restless and I hardly dreamed, I know I did somewhat, but I think that was also a part of my fatigue my lack of long lasting REM. Since I've gone gluten free my sleep is restful and really deep again with involving dreams wit ha mix of everything, my interests and fears and hopes. Though I know I had quite a few dreams where I was glutened!

I too dream in full color! ;-)
"There's nothing you can't achieve with a little hope, courage, determination and a destination to reach!"

#10 RacerRex9727

RacerRex9727

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 01:41 PM

I'm an undiagnosed celiac (pretty dang sure!) and before I stopped eating gluten I never dreamed. I mean, I had like 10 dreams over a 4 year period. Everyone says "you were dreaming, you just don't remember" but I don't buy that. Now, even if I don't remember the dream once I wake up, I at least have a feeling that there was a dream; some residual emotion or an inkling that "something happened last night."

Just curious; anyone else have this?

When I get glutened, I have very graphic nightmares and psychedelic dreams. Yeah, I know its weird.

#11 RubyRoses17

RubyRoses17

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 10:30 AM

I always dream something. I always dream in color and 95% of the time I can remember everything that happens in the dreams. Even lots of times I could actually physically feel things in my dreams. I could write a book about my dreams, lol.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: