2 replies to this topic

#1 Dejaunee

Dejaunee

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 February 2004 - 11:25 AM

Scott, about two plus years back I spoke with you by phone.

I tested positive for celiac disease back in 97. I was hit with it in 94. But you know well how, back then, diagnosis of the disease was rare. In my case it came only after much research and effort on my part and then only after requesting I be tested for it. Given my symptoms were in line with celiac disease.

Reason for this correspondence is: for the past several years I have been able to enjoy but one of the many Soy milks on the market.

Given that the protein is the offending culprit often in celiac disease patients, somehow this one brand had it just right. And as I said, for years I relished the drink and the nutritive value in it.

Ruefully, last year they decided to add organic cane sugar to it. Dang! For me, sugar is out. The enzymes needed to digest it lost from the damage done to the villi before proper diagnosis of celiac disease and the implementing of the subsequent "offender-free" diet.

As I am sure you know, in sever cases eliminating only gluten is not enough. Lactose, sucrose, fructose, etc., all can be problematic to the Celiac patient.

Though I know my case is a sever one, I know I am not alone there. Hence my contacting you today.

I believe there must be others out there who also were limited to this one agreeable product that is now being made with sugar, and as such, no longer agreeable.

I have contacted the company and pressed the need that they return the original recipe for folks with sever celiac, not able to have sugars or concentrated forms of the soy or rice protein.

Seems if they received sufficient calls they would perhaps be inclined to provide this formerly cherished, not to mention nutritious, beverage for those of us with sever Celiac.

The product info is: WESTSOY PLUS; SOYMILK-vanilla or regular

made by: HAIN CELESTIAL GROUP, INC. #1-800-SOY-MILK

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Debi M. Brand

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 24 February 2004 - 01:47 PM

Silk makes an unsweetened soy milk that is gluten free.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#3 Lily

Lily

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 24 February 2004 - 03:00 PM

Eden Foods makes a Rice/Soy blend that is free of sugar. Soy dream agrees with me, but so far those are the only 2.

Lily

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: