This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Anyone Have Recipe For Flourless Chocolate Cake

christicrete

christicrete Rookie

I recently had my birthday and my lovely daughter (only 13) felt sorry I couldn't have cake. Fortunatley my brother in laws girlfriend works for a gourmet bakery and she explained the celiacs and ordered me a flourless chocolate cake. It was absolutely sinful. Even better no reactions! Unfortunately, being a gourmet place and all with my girlfriend in law :blink: 's employee discount the small cake was still over $20 dollars. I would love to make one myself but girlfriend in law can't smuggle me the receipe :( It was like melt in your mouth dark chocolate and never made me feel like I was missing out for a second. Also have been really craving carrot cake with the cream cheese frosting. My frosting recipe is gluten-free but I am new to this cooking gluten-free and not sure what flours work well for which things. Any suggestions would be super!

Thanks all

Christi

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest nini

I use Pamela's Gluten Free Irresistible Chocolate Brownie Mix to make cakes... there are directions right on the bag for a cake recipe. I've used this on quite a few occasions and have served it to many non gluten-free people as well, and everyone loves it. In fact just today I used it to make a gluten-free ice cream cake for my daughter's 5th birthday party for school on Wednesday. It's in the freezer right now!

jmengert Enthusiast

I, too, would love to have a good flourless chocolate cake recipe, so I hope someone has a great recipe for one.

As far as carrot cake is concerned, I made my first one last weekend. I used the recipe from Pamelas Products (pamelasproducts.com), and you basically use her regular baking mix and some other common products. Note: I used baby food carrots (2 jars) in place of shredded carrots to make the cake more moist. I then used a combo of cinnamon, cream cheese, confectioner's sugar, and a bit of butter to make the frosting--I didn't measure, but kept adding ingredients for the frosting to get the right consistency. The cake turned out really well, and there are some other good recipes on her site, too.

Good luck!

tarnalberry Community Regular

Try the brownie recipe that I put in the recipe section. Easier to carry around than a piece of cake, and quite tasty! Pretty healthy too, actually! :-)

Guest ajlauer
I use Pamela's Gluten Free Irresistible Chocolate Brownie Mix to make cakes... there are directions right on the bag for a cake recipe.

Is the cake recipe egg-free?? Thanks.

Guest nini

the recipe is not egg free... and I don't know if the mix contains eggs... (for some strange reason, Pamela's doesn't list the ingredients on the packaging that I have.) If the mix doesn't contain eggs, you could always use ener-g's egg replacer (gluten-free and egg free)

catfish Apprentice

Perfect Flourless Chocolate Cake;

12 tablespoons unsalted butter

12 ounces bittersweet chocolate

3 teaspoons vanilla extract

8 large eggs (separated)

2/3 cup brown sugar (packed)

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar

1 tablespoon cooking oil or cooking spray, for greasing pan

2 tablespoons flour or rice flour, for dusting pan

1. Preheat oven to 325 F.

2. Oil and flour a 9" springform cake round.

3. Cut a piece of wax paper or parchment to fit inside the bottom of the pan, place the paper in the bottom of the pan, and wrap the outside of the pan (bottom/sides) with aluminum foil.

4. In a double-boiler on gentle heat, melt the butter and chocolate together until smooth.

5. Set aside to cool slightly.

6. In a clean mixing bowl (make sure there is no oil residue on the bowl or mixer attachments) beat the egg whites until they become cloudy and frothy; about 30 seconds.

7. Continue beating while adding 1/3 cup brown sugar and the cream of tartar.

8. Beat until stiff peaks form- be careful not to overbeat- this is most important!

9. If the eggs curdle, throw them away and start over with new egg whites, seriously.

10. Whisk the egg yolks and the remaining 1/3 cup brown sugar until lighter in color, then wisk yolks and vanilla into the cooled, melted chocolate mixture in a large mixing bowl.

11. Gently fold the egg whites into the chocolate (start by folding in about 1/3rd of the whites, then gently fold in the remaining whites), the mixture should end up fluffy and light.

12. Pour into the prepared pan.

13. Place the pan inside the foil in a deep cooking sheet with about 1/2 to 1 inch of water in it.

14. Bake the cake for about 60-70 minutes or until it passes the toothpick test.

15. Remove cake from oven and allow to cool for about an hour (it will sink by about 1/3rd volume during this time; this is normal)

16. Gently run a knife around the edge of the pan, and then carefully invert the cake onto a flat plate or other surface.

17. Remove the paper from the bottom (now the top) of the cake.

18. Invert again onto the final plate for displaying the cake.

19. The cake can be eaten right away but it may fall slightly when it is cut- for best results, it should be refridgerated for at least 6 hours before serving.

This is the best chocolate cake I've ever eaten! Something between a mousse and a cake, it is so moist it will melt in your mouth like a chocolate bar. I tried about 7 different flourless chocolate cake recipes before I came up with this one which incorporates only the best of them all. This cake will only be as good as the chocolate you use, so make it good! If you are on a no-flour diet (for celiacs for instance) this cake is perfect- just use sweet rice flour to flour the pan instead of wheat flour. For an exotic treat, add 2 tsp key-lime or orange zest or 2 tsp key-lime or orange extract along with the vanilla extract. Cooking time does not include chilling time.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

burdee Enthusiast

Hi Catfish:

I must avoid dairy and soy as well as gluten. So I REALLY miss chocolate ANYTHING. :( Drinking Almond Breeze chocolate dairy substitute doesn't help, because I want to chew something chocolatey. So I would like to adapt your flourless cake recipe for my dairy/soy restrictions. I assume I can substitute my Spectrum Naturals palm oil shortening for the butter, but what about the bittersweet chocolate? What's in that? I mean is there any soy or dairy? Could I substitute plain Hershey's cocoa and add more fats from vegetable oil or shortening? I know I've seen a way to substitute cocoa for chocolate in one of my gluten-free cook books. However, if I can find a sf/df bittersweet chocolate, that may make my cake similar to yours. ;)

BURDEE

Guest nini

Enjoy Life Foods makes a chocolate chip that is made from sugar, chocolate liquor and non dairy cocoa butter... very yummy. Gluten and allergen free

Open Original Shared Link

flagbabyds Collaborator

There are some very good chocolate cake recipies that are gluten-free but they still have flour in them, just gluten free flour, don't think that because you are celiac that the only kind of cake that you can have is flourless, yes that is the only one you can get is a restartuant, but at home you can adapt your favorite non gluten free recipe to a wonderful gluten free chocolate cake recipe.

burdee Enthusiast

Hi Nini:

I tried to feed my chocolate cravings with Ener-G chocolate chips. I did NOT like their gritty texture (maybe from sugar crystals), but they're okay when I'm really desperate. I did like them for chocolate chip quinoa cookies (from Karen Robertson's gluten-free gourmet cookbook). Are you suggesting I substitute those in the gluten-free flourless cake recipe (instead of the bittersweet chocolate)? That just might work, because baking dissolves the gritty sugar crystals in those chocolate chips. THANKS! :D

BURDEE

Deby Apprentice

I like to use a mix of flour for cake that has 1 1/3 cup potato starch, 1/3 cup rice flour and 1/3 cup tapioca flour. Add 1 tsp xanthan gum or guar gum and one packet unflavored gelatin.

You can use this mix straight up for any cake recipe.

If the cake recipe calls for eggs substitute egg replacer. Or if anyone knows of an egg free mayo, that would work too. 1/3 cup of mayo for each egg. Light olive oil can be chilled then used for butter.

Guest nini

Burdee, did you try the Enjoy Life Foods ones? The Ener-G ones are bitter and gritty. But they work well for baking. If you could have soy I would've recommended Tropical Source gluten-free chocolate chips instead as they taste much better than the Enjoy Life foods ones.

Guest nini

Burdee, I compared the ingredients and the Ener-G chocolate chips have stuff added into them that really doesn't need to be there such as tapioca syrup, honey and dextrose (corn sugar) Enjoy Life Foods chocolate chips are simply sugar, chocolate liquor and non dairy cocoa butter, Tropical Source chocolate chips are a little more "packed with ingredients" including soy... but they have the best taste.

burdee Enthusiast

THANKS, Nina, for the Enjoy Life chocolate chip info. I LOVE the Enjoy Life double chocolate chip cookies, but can only buy those online. I didn't know they offered chocolate chips. That might be worth buying online. NO, I can't tolerate any soy--same symptoms as gluten (excruciating cramps, gas, bloating, etc.). Before I realized I was soy intolerant, I LOVED Tropical Source chocolate bars (esp. hazelnut or almond), but still got symptoms the last time I tried a bite of that. So I will check the Enjoy Life website for those chocolate chips. I might just as well order some double chocolate chip cookies while I'm there. ;) I live close enough to Ener-G Foods to buy their chocolate chips, brownies, cookies etc. and save the shipping, but my husband likes their chocolate products better than I do. <_<

BURDEE

Guest nini

you're very welcome Burdee...

oh and I found the ingredients for the Pamela's Ultimate Brownie/Amazing Cake mix

Ingredients: Molasses and Honey; Brown Rice Flour, Cocoa Powder, White Rice Flour, Tapioca Starch, Sweet Rice Flour, Potato Starch, Natural Flavor, Sea Salt, Xanthan Gum, Baking Soda

so yes, egg free and it says right on the directions that you can use egg replacer. It is manufactured in a plant that also uses peanuts, tree nuts, and dairy if you are extra sensitive be aware of that.

burdee Enthusiast

Thanks again, but I avoid most Pamela's products because my Enterolab tests and SYMPTOMS indicated intolerance to casein (from DAIRY). Most Pamela's products contain dairy, even though the brownie/cake mix doesn't. Not sure if I want to risk contamination from their factory ... Eggs and nuts (including peanuts) aren't a problem though, thank goodness.

BURDEE

catfish Apprentice

Yes, I make cakes all the time with gluten-free flours in them, but flourless chocolate cake is better than any regular cake mix or recipe with or without regular flour (IMO).

I think your shortening would work fine instead of butter, the taste might be a bit different but the performance should be okay as long as you add about 20% less shortening and substitute that with water (by volume-butter is about 20% water). Add the water slowly after the mixture has started to melt.

If you are buying real semisweet, dark, or bittersweet chocolate, it should not have any dairy in it. Cocoa butter is NOT made from butter, it is made from the fat removed from the cacao beans during the processing of the cocoa. However, if you are extremely sensitive to milk proteins you should check the label to be sure, as semisweet chocolate is frequently processed on the same lines as milk chocolate, which IS a dairy product.

Soy lecithin is a more frequent problem. Really, really good (and thus expensive) chocolate will not have lecithin added (it is used to make the chocolate easier to process).

Here are a couple great chocolate resources I found; the first is an assortment of various chocolates along with their ingredients. They are sorted by somebody's personal choice into excellent, very good, good, etc. The fact that ingredients are listed makes this page very useful for seeing which kinds you might be able to eat.

The second is somebody else's personal rating of various quality chocolates based on a numerical system, with links to more in-depth information on the chocolates.

I would suggest Ghirardelli's Dark Chocolate, it has no milk nor lecithin listed in the ingredients, but you might want to add more sugar to the recipe if you use dark rather than bittersweet chocolate. I would also recommend Tobler Tradition Swiss Bittersweet Chocolate although it might be harder to find.

mopsie Newbie

Here is my favourite chocolate cake - made with beans or chickpeas instead of flour.

1-1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips

2 cups (19 ounce can) chickpeas (garbanzo beans, drained) I mostly use plain navy beans that I cook myself.

4 eggs, or 1 cup egg substitute

1 cup sugar

1/2 tsp. baking powder

1 tbl. powdered sugar

In a small bowl, melt chocolate. In blender or food processor, combine beans and eggs. Add sygar, baking powder and chocolate; process untill smooth. Pour batter into 9" non- stick pan. Bake in 350 degree oven for 35 - 45 min. or until a knife inserted comes out clean. Cool. Sprinkle with powdered sugar or frosting. Cut in wedges. This cake freezes well. We often eat it with cherry/ strawberries and ice cream. Yum!

christicrete Rookie

Thank You all, this is so great, I didn't check my message for a couple of days and wow, all these replys. Catfish, that sounds exactly like the one I had and I don't think I have ever had anything so sinful in my life. As for the bittersweet chocolate substitute, I was taught as a child that for unsweetened chocolate you could use 3 Tb cocoa powder to 1 Tb shortning (or butter, or butter replacement :) ) for each square of chocolate, do you think this would work in this receipe or should I not risk it.

And Mopsie, your bean cake receipe sounds good. Is it dense ( I love dense breads and cakes), it sounds that way. I have seen bean cakes before but never ones without flour. This should be interesting.

Thanks again for the receipes and Great Ideas! :wub:

celiac3270 Collaborator

This carrot cake recipe came from Mireille (a really knowledgable celiac from the Delphi Forums board). She has her own restaurant and posts multiple recipes daily:

Carrot Cake

Nonstick cooking spray

2 1/2 cupsGF all-purpose flour mix (msg #4848.5)

2 teaspoons cinnamon

1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar

1 cup drained, crushed pineapple (see note)

1/2 cup fat-free egg substitute, or 3 whole eggs

1/2 cup buttermilk

1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce

1/3 cup vegetable oil

2 teaspoons gluten-free vanilla extract

3 cups grated carrots

1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Your favorite Philly icing.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9- by 13-inch baking pan with

nonstick cooking spray and set aside.

In a medium bowl, combine flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda

and salt. Set aside.

In a large bowl, whisk together brown sugar, pineapple, egg

substitute, buttermilk, applesauce, oil and vanilla. Stir in grated

carrots. Add flour mixture to carrot mixture and stir until well

blended. Stir in walnuts.

Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until a

toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean. Set pan on a

wire rack and cool cake completely.

While cake is cooling, prepare icing.

Refrigerate until ready to use. When cake is cool, spread icing

evenly over top. Cover with plastic wrap and store in refrigerator.

Makes 24 servings.

Note: A 20-ounce can of crushed pineapple will yield about 1 1/2 cups

after you drain it well. Empty the can into a wire strainer, and

press down on the pineapple to remove the juice.

Mireille, Waterloo Quebec.

burdee Enthusiast

THANKS, celiac3270!!! I LOVE carrot cake and can just substitute Vance's darifree substitute milk for the buttermilk and have gluten-free/df/sf carrot cake. I can also make a spectrum naturals palm oil shortening and powdered sugar frosting for the 'philly' frosting. I'd much rather eat carrot cake than chocolate cake anyway. Thanks again. :D

BURDEE

celiac3270 Collaborator

And here's a low-cal carrot cake, also posted by Mireille :lol:

Easy Carrot Cake (low cal)

Pam or other oil spray

1 1/2 cupsGF all-purpose flour mix *see recipe on my "Best of Mireille":  just click on the number below my signature here.

3/4 cup one-to-one sugar substitute (Splenda)

1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon nonfat dry milk powder

1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda

1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon ground cloves

1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg

1/2 teaspoon ground allspice

1/8 teaspoon salt (optional)

1/2 cup canola oil

3/4 cup liquid egg substitute

1 large egg white

1 1/2 cups finely grated carrots

1/4 cup finely chopped pecans

1/4 cup currants

1 6-ounce can unsweetened crushed pineapple, drained

frozen non-fat, sugar-free whipped topping, thawed (optional)

Preheat oven 350

celiac3270 Collaborator

The first one looks easier to make, but I thought I'd share this anyway, since it does ask for carrot cake and chocolate cake recipes :).

You're welcome, Burdee :D....though all I did was find it ;) from somewhere else B) Glad the recipe was adaptable

catfish Apprentice

For this recipe I wouldn't recommend substituting the chocolate with cocoa powder and shortening. It would work for some foods because it adds the oil and flavor, but in this case the cake needs the firmness of the cocoa butter or it won't set up right (it will just melt into a pool).

Archived