This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Does Band-aid Glue Have Gluten?

anerissara

anerissara Enthusiast

Ok I know this sounds like a completely insane question (and no, I'm not planning to *eat* any bangages), but could the glue on band-aids be made with gluten? I have dh and right now I've got a bad outbreak on my fingers. My pinkey and thumb have had it so bad that it almost looks like they've been burned...anyway, I was keeping them covered with band aids but now I notice that everywhere the band aids touched my skin has broken out *worse* than the origional breakout! Could this be from the glue?!? I know that gluten on my hands probably won't cause a reaction the same as eating it would, but with the dh I sure am having some kind of nasty reastion to the "sticky"part of the bandaids. Any sage advice?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest Viola

Hello, I don't know if the tape contains gluten or not, but I do know that some bandaids and first aid tapes cause allergies. Apparently it's quite a common problem. There are some that are put out for sensitive skins.

Guest ajlauer

I agree with Shirley. You are probably allergic to something in the adhesive - gluten or not. I wonder if the liquid bandage stuff would be any better?? :huh:

tarnalberry Community Regular

Yep - a lot of people react to the adhesive. You might try another brand of bandaid, or gauze and medical tape.

Guest ajlauer

AFterthought: You could try a square of gauze... wrap around the finger... and then use some scotch tape (or other regular tape) to keep it on. Where the tape isn't touching your skin, but simply applying enough pressure to hold the gauze in place. They also have.... I don't know how else to describe them... but little condom-looking things that go on the finger. Perhaps using one of those to hold the gauze in place would work also.

And in case you're wondering... the condom-things are a healthcare product and in the first-aid aisle of stores. They aren't actual condoms, meant for fingers, found in "novelty" stores. Just wanted to clarify! :D

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

Johnson and Johnson bandaids are supposed to be gluten free. It is common for adhesives to contain gluten.

lovegrov Collaborator

Band-aid brand is definitely gluten-free, and I've never found a bandage with gluten. BUT, as sais before, some poeple just react to the adhesive.

richard

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

celiac3270 Collaborator

Yes--I've also heard that Band-Aid brand is gluten-free...

flagbabyds Collaborator

I've never reacted to bandaids before but you probably are allergic to something else in the adhesive, yes the liquid ones might work better because there is no adhesive on those, yet they do still show the blisters.

plantime Contributor

The adhesives on medical tapes and bandaids take the skin right off me. Try using some of that stretchy stuff that sticks to itself but not skin. Athletes use it to wrap their limbs and ankles. It's not an ace bandage, it's not reusable, I don't know what it's called, but you can find it in the store next to the ace bandages.

skbird Contributor

I get contact dermatitis from some bandages/Band Aids - it looks like I have a sun burn. Also it is raised. I don't know what causes it in the bandages but many brands do it to me. It is worse if I get sun on it - wearing a band aid in the sun is a sure thing.

I did get really sick after having a bandage put on me at the chiropractor - she used a spray adhesive and then a sticky elastic bandage and by dinnertime that day I was definitely glutened. I don't know if it was the spray (I could have inhaled some) or what but I was sick and had nothing suspicious to eat that day.

A little cortisone overnight works for me to get rid of the contact dermatitis. Good luck!

Stephanie

Guest ajlauer
I get contact dermatitis from some bandages/Band Aids - it looks like I have a sun burn. Also it is raised.

THANK YOU!!!

Is that what contact dermatitis looks like? You have described EXACTLY what Melanie would get (before she turned 3) when ranch dressing touched her skin!! A raised sun burn!!! I have never found the perfect words to describe it before!! When she turned 3 it stopped, so I thought the "ranch rash" was over. Then she started vomiting all the time!!!

*epiphany* Maryann gets the ranch rash too! I bet she's allergic to eggs too!

cdford Contributor

I am not truly allergic to any of the glues on the bandages, but my skin reacts to most of them. Try using one of the paper tape ones. They seem to cause less problems. We also sometimes use gauze and paper tape instead.

darlindeb25 Collaborator
:( yup--just as stephanie--i react to band-aids too--just like a burn--it must be the adhesive--funny--i can use them on my fingers without trouble, but not anywhere else--put them on my arm or somewhere and it is like it takes a layer of skin with it when it comes off----deb
debmidge Rising Star

as many of you know, my husband is celiac and I'm not, but as to band aids I break out in terrible itchy rash from band-aids and I was reading Sully's Living Without spring 05 and it describes that this could be a latex allergy and not a reacton to the adhesive. The hives from band aids could be a reaction to the latex. I am allergic to so many things I wouldn't be surprised I have to add latex to the list.

Archived