7 replies to this topic

#1 Samma

Samma

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 10:46 AM

I recently found out that the Stevia I have been using, which has Maltodextrin in it, is not gluten-free....which explains why I was much much better but not totally well. According to some lists if the Maltodextrin is manufactured in the US it is gluten-free. I discovered that the Stevia I have been using is from Columbia, so I went to their website to check it out and it is not gluten free....grrrrrrrrrr. I post this for those that might be using Stevia from other places. Please check it out. The brand is Erba Dolce, here is a link to a site that shows it is NOT gluten-free.
http://www.internatu...via/stevia.html

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 lovegrov

lovegrov

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 12:04 PM

If this stuff has wheat in it it must by U.S. law list it. It doesn't matter where it comes from or where the maltodextrin is made. ANY maltodextrin from wheat must list the wheat. Period. That's actually a separate law from the allergen law.

Now if there's barley in it somewhere that's another matter.

richard

#3 yolo

yolo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 02:27 PM

Wow! I am glad you discoverd what was going on. You can grow stevia by the way...
Meanwhile I use the plain organic stevia extract from Trader Joe's without extra additives. Have never had a problem with it. Says it is gluten free. Am very sensitive to trace gluten so its unlikely its CC'd.
Diagnosed celiac sprue as infant: failure to thrive & pneumonia-back on grains age 4. Began herbs 1971 combating chronic kidney disease/general ill health 1973. Avoid wheat family and "allergens" by 1980. Late 80's doc. diagnosed candida: cave-man diet. Diagnosed degraded myelin sheath 2006; need co-enzyme B vitamins. Discovered celiac fall 2007; finally told diagnosis as infant. Recently found I am salicylic acid intolerant. Ironically can't tolerate most herbs now. Can now eat brown rice & other gluten-free grains (except corn) & even maple syrup & now homeopathic medicine works! Am still exploring the shape of this elephant but I've made progress!

#4 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 09:13 PM

Maltodextrin in the US is not wheat based.

#5 mommida

mommida

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,937 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 07:43 AM

Just a kind correction....
If maltodextrin made in the US has a wheat base it is fully listed on the label.
(I've only seen it once on a can of Pacific soup.)
Michigan

#6 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 07:55 AM

Again, it doesn't matter where the maltodextrin is made, if it has wheat and the product is sold in the U.S., the wheat MUST be listed.

richard

#7 yolo

yolo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 12:44 PM

Again, it doesn't matter where the maltodextrin is made, if it has wheat and the product is sold in the U.S., the wheat MUST be listed.

richard

Yes, but it might be CC'd... Best to check where its made if possible, however often for the minor ingredients they don't do that.

Bea
Diagnosed celiac sprue as infant: failure to thrive & pneumonia-back on grains age 4. Began herbs 1971 combating chronic kidney disease/general ill health 1973. Avoid wheat family and "allergens" by 1980. Late 80's doc. diagnosed candida: cave-man diet. Diagnosed degraded myelin sheath 2006; need co-enzyme B vitamins. Discovered celiac fall 2007; finally told diagnosis as infant. Recently found I am salicylic acid intolerant. Ironically can't tolerate most herbs now. Can now eat brown rice & other gluten-free grains (except corn) & even maple syrup & now homeopathic medicine works! Am still exploring the shape of this elephant but I've made progress!

#8 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 03:55 AM

OK, because stevia containing gluten didn't seem right, I contacted the company. Samma, the stevia is NOT the source of any gluten you're getting. Here's the reply:

Dear Richard,

Thank you for your interest in our Erba Dolce stevia.

We have received confirmation from our manufacturer that ERba Dolce
stevia is gluten free.

Thank you for inquiry and letting us know about the mistake on the
website. We have sent this change over to our web designer and you
should see it shortly.

We hope you continue to enjoy our Erba Dolce stevia.

If you send back your address, we would be happy to send you some
samples as a thank you.

Sincerely,

Sophia Sin
INTERNATURAL FOODS
Sales & Marketing Coordinator
973|338.1499 x107

The Internet is not always right. When something seems odd, it's always best to check.

richard

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: