This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Skin Waxing

Guest Addicted2Gluten

Guest Addicted2Gluten

Hi everyone,

I have Celiac Disease and went a few days ago for an arm wax. Since then my arms have broken out in a horrible rash which does not seem to be getting better. It looks like eczema. I have read online that people with certain food allergies should not get waxed. Is this true for those with Celiac Disease? Could there have been gluten in the wax?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mommida Enthusiast

If the skin was not held taught enough, you can not only get a rash but have bleeding and bruising of the area. Ask to see the ingredients of the wax. If you use skin products that have retin a and other like ingredients you should not get waxxed, ask the estitician for a complete list of products to avoid for waxxing. You should also consider your cycle. You should not have your teeth cleaned at certain points of your cycle, because it will cause more bleeding and sensitivity during the cleaning process. The same is true for skin, but a lesser degree, so most people don't seem to notice.

Laura

tarnalberry Community Regular

You can easily get that reaction just from the waxing itself- regardless of the ingredients. (The skin doesn't like having bits that are normally inside of it violently ripped out! :-) If it's that, I'll subside over a few days. I've heard that applying aloe regularly can help with that...)

Guest Addicted2Gluten

Ok, thanks for your help. I went to the dermatologist today and she said that my skin is infected so I was prescribed a topical anti-biotic. I'm going to check with the ingredients to see exactly what was in it.

Guest ajlauer

If waxing continues to be a problem for you...

I use that little thing, can't think of what it's called. It was on informercial for awhile, and now it's in the stores for around $10. Little battery operated shaver thing that you move back and forth - the commercials would show how gentle it is by applying it to a balloon. You know that thing? I use that for my arms. The hair doesn't grow back all thick and prickly like it would if you used a razor.

Archived