4 replies to this topic

#1 smitchell

smitchell

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 03:16 PM

I got a letter in the mail today indicating, my colonscopy was normal and my endoscopy indicated: normal duodenum, inflamed esophagus.
That is it! I haven't a clue what to do. Does, that mean they checked for celiac? anything? When they send the biopsies to the lab, do they check for everything/anything. I feel very confused and very frustrated that after going through such a procedure they would send a letter. I feel at a loss and wonder what I should be doing next. Anyone have this experience. Should I continue eating Gluten and then get a blood test? Who do I go to?? I feel terrified to eat Gluten after almost 1 week Gluten free.

If anyone has a suggestion, please let me know. :(

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 70SS396

70SS396

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 05:14 PM

I got a letter in the mail today indicating, my colonscopy was normal and my endoscopy indicated: normal duodenum, inflamed esophagus.
That is it! I haven't a clue what to do. Does, that mean they checked for celiac? anything? When they send the biopsies to the lab, do they check for everything/anything. I feel very confused and very frustrated that after going through such a procedure they would send a letter. I feel at a loss and wonder what I should be doing next. Anyone have this experience. Should I continue eating Gluten and then get a blood test? Who do I go to?? I feel terrified to eat Gluten after almost 1 week Gluten free.

I would call your doctor immediately and ask him/her to explain it to you.

And if you don't mind me asking, have you noticed a difference being gluten-free for the week? Has it help with what ever symptoms you were experiencing?

#3 smitchell

smitchell

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 05:51 PM

Yes, I feel 90% better than I did wednesday night a week ago. I am so fearful of a flare up to totally discount the gluten free factor.
My thought is, perhaps I should just remain on this type of diet, and check and see. My fear is that I feel like a poser. Like I am not really a celiac, therefore, I shouldn't be following this, since I have not been diagnosed.

I will call the doctor tomorrow, I just wonder if there are specific questions I should ask? Like did you check for celiac? what does the inflammation mean? How should I handle this?

I would call your doctor immediately and ask him/her to explain it to you.

And if you don't mind me asking, have you noticed a difference being gluten-free for the week? Has it help with what ever symptoms you were experiencing?

#4 dedeadge

dedeadge

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 05:54 AM

Definitely call your doctor and ask for additional information. An inflamed esophagus could be many things, two of which are acid reflux and Eosinophilic Esophagitis (EE), both of which can cause inflammation (my daughter has both). Ask him specifically if they did a biopsy of the esophagus and if they tested for the # of eosinophils (anything higher than I think 10 is indicative of acid reflux and/or EE).

Your doctor's office should have called you (either way). If you're not happy with what he/she tells you, get a second opinion.

#5 Scorp05

Scorp05

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 01:19 PM

Hi,

I too had a clonoscopy years ago and was told I had mild case of bowel dissorder and they basically did nothing or gave me any advice about what to do about it.

here is my story- I am 45 no but at 21 years of age I had problems with my bowels- I had an operation and was told I'll be fine. I went on my way to find that as I aged I seemed to get really bad symptoms- I went to the allergist and was tested- again nothing. I went to my doctor and was told I was fine. Very frustrating becasue I knew there was something wrong- but I couldn't figure it out.

During a very stressful divorce- my symptoms got really bad and I blew up like a blow fish- had (too many symptoms to list here-hah) very bad cramps, and was not able to get a hold of the problems- the sysmptoms I felt just got worse. I went to a naturopath and i took a voodoo type of test- but I went with the results and followed the prescription that I was given. Wow within a month I was feeling 100% better and had energy and felt good about myself. My body went back to normal and I was in good shape and feeling really good.

The problem I faced after- was it possible to maintain the lifestyle my naturopath told me to follow- NO WAY. I was eating nothing but basic basic foods and very difficult to do when you are on the road 5 days a week. So over the years I introduced new foods one at a time and thought it was at least livable.

Time moves forward and another stressfull time happened and boom- I am full blown out symptoms and no where to get advice- Now I got to my doctor and explained every sysmptom I had and my doctors said I should take a Celiac blood test.

I too am waiting to get the results- I know I have food allergies- I am not sure if it is gluten- my bet is YES! either intolerance or Celiac- either way I know how my body reacts.

Follow your instincts- you may want to try fasting on strictly soy beverages and brown rice for a few days or a week- then try eating a few peanuts- see how your body reacts. Wait a few more days and try some corn and them other foods. If it isn't Celiac- it could very well be other foods or chemicals.

I wish you the best.

Shawn

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: