This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I Need Your Assistance To Understand My Results

Rockgurl

Rockgurl Rookie

I got my results from Enterolab today and they are positive. However, I do not understand the whole gene DQ thing. Here are my results:

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1: 0302

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2: 0301

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 8,7)

What does that make me? Am I DQ1? DQ3? I don't understand how to interpret them. Can you help?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor
I got my results from Enterolab today and they are positive. However, I do not understand the whole gene DQ thing. Here are my results:

What does that make me? Am I DQ1? DQ3? I don't understand how to interpret them. Can you help?

Here is good, understandable information on gene testing (it can be very confusing):

Open Original Shared Link

Amyleigh0007 Enthusiast

Is that all the information they sent you? I ordered the gene test today but I thought they would send an explanation along with the results. How long did it take to get the test and then get your results?

Rockgurl Rookie
Here is good, understandable information on gene testing (it can be very confusing):

Open Original Shared Link

Thanks for that. I have read it but am still none the wiser. Can anyone explain to me what I am?

Rockgurl Rookie
Is that all the information they sent you? I ordered the gene test today but I thought they would send an explanation along with the results. How long did it take to get the test and then get your results?

It took 2 weeks and 2 days. They sent me a detailed explnation but I still don't understand the gene/subtyping thing. This is what they gave me as an explanation:

Interpretation Of HLA-DQ Testing: HLA-DQB1 gene analysis reveals that you have one of the main genes that predisposes to gluten sensitivity and celiac sprue, HLA-DQB1*0201 or HLA-DQB1*0302. Each of your offspring has a 50% chance of receiving this gene from you, and at least one of your parents passed it to you. You also have a non-celiac gene predisposing to gluten sensitivity (any DQ1, DQ2 not by HLA-DQB1*0201, or DQ3 not by HLA-DQB1*0302). Having one celiac gene and one gluten sensitive gene, means that each of your parents, and all of your children (if you have them) will possess at least one copy of a gluten sensitive gene. Having two copies also means there is an even stronger predisposition to gluten sensitivity than having one gene and the resultant immunologic gluten sensitivity or celiac disease may be more severe.

I just want to know what DQ type I am.

Amyleigh0007 Enthusiast

So if I am reading your results correctly (practice for when I get my daughter and my results) you have one gluten sensitivity gene and one Celiac gene? And, because you have these two genes you are more likely to develop Celiac? Do you think you have Celiac?

Rockgurl Rookie
So if I am reading your results correctly (practice for when I get my daughter and my results) you have one gluten sensitivity gene and one Celiac gene? And, because you have these two genes you are more likely to develop Celiac? Do you think you have Celiac?

I think so but I don't know. I'm having my Endoscopy on Monday but I have been wheat free (although not gluten-free) for about a year. I've been eating wheat for the past few weeks and I feel toxic!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Amyleigh0007 Enthusiast

Yeah, that's why I'm doing the gene test for myself. I feel like it's just another part of the puzzle. I refuse to go back on gluten (I've been gluten free now for a year) so I can have an endoscopy. I wish the gene tests weren't so hard to read. Good luck on Monday!

gfb1 Rookie
Yeah, that's why I'm doing the gene test for myself. I feel like it's just another part of the puzzle. I refuse to go back on gluten (I've been gluten free now for a year) so I can have an endoscopy. I wish the gene tests weren't so hard to read. Good luck on Monday!

imho, 'puzzle' is the correct word.

buried on p2 of the u.chicago celiac disease center publication:

In fact, up to one third of the U.S. population has the genes for celiac disease, but it is thought that only 1-4% of them will actually develop the disease at some point in their lifetimes.

it certainly puzzles me.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

You are a DQ8, one of the recognized celiac related genes and DQ7 the gluten sensitive one.

The US has finally started to recognize that there are more celiac related genes than used to be thought. For a long time if you were not DQ8 or DQ2 you would be told that you were not celiac if you live in the US. This is not the case in other countries where the total number of celiac related genes is more like 9.

It is confusing but the bottom line IMHO is that whether you are 'celiac' or intolerant the need to be gluten free is the same.

Rockgurl Rookie
You are a DQ8, one of the recognized celiac related genes and DQ7 the gluten sensitive one.

The US has finally started to recognize that there are more celiac related genes than used to be thought. For a long time if you were not DQ8 or DQ2 you would be told that you were not celiac if you live in the US. This is not the case in other countries where the total number of celiac related genes is more like 9.

It is confusing but the bottom line IMHO is that whether you are 'celiac' or intolerant the need to be gluten free is the same.

Thank you very much. I understand now. I appreciate your help. :)

Archived