2 replies to this topic

#1 Roda

Roda

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 04:28 AM

I was diagnosed with celiac the end of Oct. 2008. I had very vague gi issues mostly bad persistant heartburn and constipation which at the time I thought was just normal and anemia. I have been gluten free since then with the exception of a couple of mishaps. I also recently tried gluten free oats in some cookies and can not tolerate those either. They made me burp excessively, heartburn and stomach cramping. I have now developed a cluster of raised, red, swollen and painful bumps on my buttocks. I used to periodically get little red bumps there for years and just figured it was heat rash. I am beginning to wonder if it was from gluten. I hardly ever have it any more until this new thing cropped up. Is it possible to develop DH or another form of rash after being gluten free? I would suspect it is from getting glutened. Is it possible it could be a reaction form the cookies with oats in that I ate around June 19th or would it be more likely to be from something more recent? It is quite bothersome and when my clothes rub against it is is sore. Any thoughts?

Me:
Celiac disease(positive blood work/biopsy- 10/2008), gluten free oat intolerent, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis/Disease, Raynaud's Disease

DS2(age 9):
celiac disease(positive IgA tTG, no biopsy- 11/2010)

DS1(age 13):
repeated negative bloodwork and negative EGD/biopsy. Started on a gluten free trial(8/2011). He has decided to stay gluten free due to all of the improvements he has experienced on the diet.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Mother of Jibril

Mother of Jibril

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 05:54 AM

I have now developed a cluster of raised, red, swollen and painful bumps on my buttocks. I used to periodically get little red bumps there for years and just figured it was heat rash. I am beginning to wonder if it was from gluten. I hardly ever have it any more until this new thing cropped up. Is it possible to develop DH or another form of rash after being gluten free?

Hi Roda,

I had bumps like that on my buttocks for YEARS. My parents always told me it was a "heat rash" (I can't believe how much our stories have in common). It was really uncomfortable to sit on hard surfaces <_< especially the bathtub. The bumps went away on the gluten-free diet (!!)... and then I developed a new rash. It's not DH (I had a biopsy)... for a number of reasons I'm now pretty sure it's urticarial vasculitis. I have an appointment with my dermatologist later this month.

Incidentally, I was glutened at a restaurant a couple of weeks ago and a few of those "bumps" on my buttocks returned :( I agree with you that gluten is probably the culprit.
Gluten free 08/08
Son has IgE allergies to peanuts and corn
Hashimoto's, MCAD, pregnancy loss at 17 weeks
HLA-DQB1*0302 (celiac), HLA-DQB1*0301 (gluten sensitive)
Serological equivalent 3,3 (subtype 8,7)
Extensive family history of autoimmune disorders and related symptoms

#3 ang1e0251

ang1e0251

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 09:51 AM

I get that rash in the groin area but only if I'm glutened on consecutive days. I was using a flavoring every day in my coffee that brought it back and on another occasion, it was stevia packet that had wheat.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: