13 replies to this topic

#1 NoG4MeWV

NoG4MeWV

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 09:08 AM

I had pyloric stenosis that was corrected surgically when I was a few weeks old. I've had Raynaud's for years and just recently was diagnosed with Celiac, I am about to get tested for Crohn's. Are these diseases related?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 trents

trents

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 01:03 PM

I don't know about the pyloric stenosis but the others are all auto immune conditions. One theory about pyloric stenosis is that it is an allergic reaction.

#3 Karrin

Karrin

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 01:57 PM

I had pyloric stenosis that was corrected surgically when I was a few weeks old. I've had Raynaud's for years and just recently was diagnosed with Celiac, I am about to get tested for Crohn's. Are these diseases related?

I was just told I have celiac sprue last month and on top of that I also have endometriosis, raynaulds and am now in the process of confirming a diagnosis of rheumatoid arthritis and possible hypoparathyroidism. I think celiac's can act as a domino effect if it isn't found soon enough. I've read that some people's other problems can lessen or go away with the diet. I've definitely noticed some relief in other areas when I'm doing well with the diet (I'm still struggling a month into this with cross contamination and faulty label reading). But when it's right, everything goes away for me - the joint pain, belly bloat, the ice blocks for hands and feet, etc, etc. :)

Good luck! The good days make it worth everything.

#4 The Fluffy Assassin

The Fluffy Assassin

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 04:06 PM

I also had pyloric stenosis corrected as a newborn. I don't think it's related to celiac disease, but anyway here's two of us. I believe that my mom was celiac; if yours is as well, then maybe there's the connection. Maybe we should ask Will Ferrell; he has the most famous pyloromyotomy scar (those of us born in the '60s have a gigantic scar from the operation) going.
The fluffy assassin? My cat, Amelia. Just fluffy, really.
About '02, lactose intolerance hit. Quit gluten in late '07. Immediately had better energy, less anxiety.
By '09, no lactose intolerance, but I gave up dairy 7/18/09 anyway (and in August soy). Restarted dairy, Nov' '10; stopped for good, December.
9/12/09 Wound up in the emergency room with what turned out to be hypothyroid symptoms. Resolved quickly when I got my iodine levels up. If you're on a whole foods diet, make sure you get enough iodine. Believe me!
PS: Fluoridation sucks.
PPS: You might enjoy my blog, Writing When The Cat Lets Me.

#5 ang1e0251

ang1e0251

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 07:26 AM

My son had pyloric stenosis surgery in '83. He doesn't have celiac disease but I do....

#6 Random_Guy

Random_Guy

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 10:47 AM

wow, i had pyloric stenosis also (surgically corrected at a few weeks old)

#7 lyndawat

lyndawat

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 09:16 AM

I also had pyloric stenosis corrected a 5 weeks old. I have Hashimoto's and now suspect gluten is an issue. I recently had a saliva test that showed slightly low IgA and elevated gliadin antibodies. I've read that a gluten free diet can help with thyroid antibodies. Anyone find this to be true?

wow, i had pyloric stenosis also (surgically corrected at a few weeks old)

#8 momxyz

momxyz

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 12:45 PM

wow this is interesting. I may have to do some googling...
My brother, born in 1960, had pyloric stenosis.... and now has diverticulitis.
I have had a rash (now resolving on the gluten-free diet) that has many of the characteristics of DH.
Another brother has a rash, also on his legs....his doctor is treating it like excema...
My niece has benefited from a gluten free diet, as my daughter has.

no diagnosed celiacs in the family (yet) but certainly seems like there are gluten connections.

#9 Ahorsesoul

Ahorsesoul

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 12:52 PM

Would make an interesting research study.
1960s-had symptoms-could have been before but don't remember
1970s-told had colitis or nervous stomach-was given phenobarbital, felt great but still had symptoms
Me, dd and ds diagnosed with Lactose Intolerance
2000-osteopenia
2001-had stroke because of medications I was given
June 2003-saw Chiropractor who specialized in nutrition: Celiac Disease not Lactose Intolerance, went gluten free with once in awhile cheating, off soy and dairy for about 6 months
June 2003-found excellent doctor for fibromyalgia (who has found out she has Celiac Disease)
May 2006-went gluten free with NO cheating-excellent! Made all the difference in the world

#10 momxyz

momxyz

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 03:39 PM

I did do some googling, but I couldn't come up with any references that indicated a link or a causal relationship between pyloric stenosis or celiac or gluten intolerance.

However, I did find out that pyloric stenosis is genetic. So if it happens that you have family members that had PS, and family members with celiacs.... it probably just means your gene pool is doubly blessed :lol:

#11 momxyz

momxyz

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 03:52 PM

I also had pyloric stenosis corrected as a newborn. I don't think it's related to celiac disease, but anyway here's two of us. I believe that my mom was celiac; if yours is as well, then maybe there's the connection. Maybe we should ask Will Ferrell; he has the most famous pyloromyotomy scar (those of us born in the '60s have a gigantic scar from the operation) going.

my little brother had quite the scar from his operation. My mother used to tell him he was special, like one of Dr. Seuss's Star Bellied Sneetches.

#12 lyndawat

lyndawat

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 05:59 PM

I found this:

Children between 9 and 24 months tend to present with bowel symptoms and growth problems shortly after first exposure to gluten-containing products, pyloric stenosis[4] sometimes being a factor. Older children may have more malabsorption-related problems and psychosocial problems, while adults generally have malabsorptive problems. Many adults with subtle disease only have fatigue or anaemia. [2]

http://wapedia.mobi/en/Coeliac_disease

#13 RT1128

RT1128

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 12:15 AM

I was diagnosed with Celiac's in April of 2010. I also was born with pyloric stenosis, which was surgically corrected when I was 8 weeks old. I have wondered since my recent diagnosis if there was any relation between celiac's and pyloric stenosis. Sounds like it could be possible!

#14 Meg123

Meg123

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 05:47 AM

Old topic, but I've just been trying to find if there was a link, was googling and this came up. ;)

Reading another thread about children got me thinking about my children.

My son had pyloric stenosis which was surgically treated when he was 5 weeks old. I tested positive on the celiac blood test, and am awaiting confirmation by biopsy, but my son has had a bloated looking belly since he was born, and I've noticed that he never wants lunch.

Since doing the gluten challenge, and noticeing how my stomach never seems empty, always full and bloated, well.....it made me wonder. He has weetbix for breakfast......

If there is a link at all, I wonder if it's being carried by someone with untreated celiac, or if it's when they are first introduced to any gluten containing products. ie if they had any formua, or if the breast milk contained gluten.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: