This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Pyloric Stenosis, Raynaud's, And Celiac

NoG4MeWV

NoG4MeWV Newbie

I had pyloric stenosis that was corrected surgically when I was a few weeks old. I've had Raynaud's for years and just recently was diagnosed with Celiac, I am about to get tested for Crohn's. Are these diseases related?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

trents Grand Master

I don't know about the pyloric stenosis but the others are all auto immune conditions. One theory about pyloric stenosis is that it is an allergic reaction.

Karrin Rookie
I had pyloric stenosis that was corrected surgically when I was a few weeks old. I've had Raynaud's for years and just recently was diagnosed with Celiac, I am about to get tested for Crohn's. Are these diseases related?

I was just told I have celiac sprue last month and on top of that I also have endometriosis, raynaulds and am now in the process of confirming a diagnosis of rheumatoid arthritis and possible hypoparathyroidism. I think celiac's can act as a domino effect if it isn't found soon enough. I've read that some people's other problems can lessen or go away with the diet. I've definitely noticed some relief in other areas when I'm doing well with the diet (I'm still struggling a month into this with cross contamination and faulty label reading). But when it's right, everything goes away for me - the joint pain, belly bloat, the ice blocks for hands and feet, etc, etc. :)

Good luck! The good days make it worth everything.

The Fluffy Assassin Enthusiast

I also had pyloric stenosis corrected as a newborn. I don't think it's related to celiac disease, but anyway here's two of us. I believe that my mom was celiac; if yours is as well, then maybe there's the connection. Maybe we should ask Will Ferrell; he has the most famous pyloromyotomy scar (those of us born in the '60s have a gigantic scar from the operation) going.

ang1e0251 Contributor

My son had pyloric stenosis surgery in '83. He doesn't have celiac disease but I do....

Random-Guy Newbie

wow, i had pyloric stenosis also (surgically corrected at a few weeks old)

• 3 months later...
lyndawat Newbie

I also had pyloric stenosis corrected a 5 weeks old. I have Hashimoto's and now suspect gluten is an issue. I recently had a saliva test that showed slightly low IgA and elevated gliadin antibodies. I've read that a gluten free diet can help with thyroid antibodies. Anyone find this to be true?

wow, i had pyloric stenosis also (surgically corrected at a few weeks old)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

momxyz Contributor

wow this is interesting. I may have to do some googling...

My brother, born in 1960, had pyloric stenosis.... and now has diverticulitis.

I have had a rash (now resolving on the gluten-free diet) that has many of the characteristics of DH.

Another brother has a rash, also on his legs....his doctor is treating it like excema...

My niece has benefited from a gluten free diet, as my daughter has.

no diagnosed celiacs in the family (yet) but certainly seems like there are gluten connections.

Ahorsesoul Enthusiast

Would make an interesting research study.

momxyz Contributor

I did do some googling, but I couldn't come up with any references that indicated a link or a causal relationship between pyloric stenosis or celiac or gluten intolerance.

However, I did find out that pyloric stenosis is genetic. So if it happens that you have family members that had PS, and family members with celiacs.... it probably just means your gene pool is doubly blessed :lol:

momxyz Contributor
I also had pyloric stenosis corrected as a newborn. I don't think it's related to celiac disease, but anyway here's two of us. I believe that my mom was celiac; if yours is as well, then maybe there's the connection. Maybe we should ask Will Ferrell; he has the most famous pyloromyotomy scar (those of us born in the '60s have a gigantic scar from the operation) going.

my little brother had quite the scar from his operation. My mother used to tell him he was special, like one of Dr. Seuss's Star Bellied Sneetches.

lyndawat Newbie

I found this:

Children between 9 and 24 months tend to present with bowel symptoms and growth problems shortly after first exposure to gluten-containing products, pyloric stenosis[4] sometimes being a factor. Older children may have more malabsorption-related problems and psychosocial problems, while adults generally have malabsorptive problems. Many adults with subtle disease only have fatigue or anaemia. [2]

http://wapedia.mobi/en/Coeliac_disease

• 6 months later...
RT1128 Newbie

I was diagnosed with Celiac's in April of 2010. I also was born with pyloric stenosis, which was surgically corrected when I was 8 weeks old. I have wondered since my recent diagnosis if there was any relation between celiac's and pyloric stenosis. Sounds like it could be possible!

• 1 year later...
Meg123 Explorer

Old topic, but I've just been trying to find if there was a link, was googling and this came up. ;)

Reading another thread about children got me thinking about my children.

My son had pyloric stenosis which was surgically treated when he was 5 weeks old. I tested positive on the celiac blood test, and am awaiting confirmation by biopsy, but my son has had a bloated looking belly since he was born, and I've noticed that he never wants lunch.

Since doing the gluten challenge, and noticeing how my stomach never seems empty, always full and bloated, well.....it made me wonder. He has weetbix for breakfast......

If there is a link at all, I wonder if it's being carried by someone with untreated celiac, or if it's when they are first introduced to any gluten containing products. ie if they had any formua, or if the breast milk contained gluten.....

• 6 years later...
Iam Newbie

Wow, I also had pyloric stenosis that was misdiagnosed for some weeks as an infant (and almost died from it).  I also have Raynauld’s and I started following celiac diet, finding an immediate improvement of my symptoms.  I thought I was the only one that had all 3 of these diagnoses.   Interesting.

• 8 months later...
Petals Newbie

Wow, I thought I was the only one. I had pyloric stenosis surgically corrected when I was a few weeks old in 1966. I also have coeliac's disease and Hashimoto's disease. My celiac disease went undiagnosed for a long time as I thought the symptoms were Pyloric related. As a child I vomited a lot and as an adult I had constant morning sickness when pregnant. I am now confused about what symptoms are caused by what illness!

Archived