This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten In Makeup?

pogirl1786

pogirl1786 Apprentice

Does anyone know exactly what to look for in ingredients for make-up and lip gloss...things like that. Will it say wheat or is the gluten in another ingredient? I was diagnosed with Celiac a little over a year ago. While I was sick for so long, I of course wasn't even thinking about make-up or anything like that, but now I'm trying to figure out what of my old stuff to keep and what to throw away. If anyone has any ideas, it would be great!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

Alot of the ingredients are complicated so the best thing to do is call the company. Alot of lipsticks have wheat starch in them. I had some lip balm I was using and I was feeling awful and called and the vitamin e in it was derived from wheat. They can hide it under pretty much everything. I changed completely to Bare Escentuals because all their makeup is gluten-free. Have you also checked lotions, shampoos, etc. Traces could be getting into you that way and causing you to feel bad. Pretty much all makeup can contain gluten...most of my stuff used to so I had to get new makeup.

jaimek Enthusiast

Is there such a thing as a Bare Essentials store or do you have to order everything over the internet?

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

I haven't seen it in regular stores. We order it by calling QVC(my mom does not like ordering over the Internet so we avoid that)...they have makeup kits and so forth that are much cheaper then the actual bare escentuals store.

jknnej Collaborator

Hi Kati,

Do they sell Bare Escentuals in any store? How do you match your foundation if you can't see it first?

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

They have light, medium, dark and like 5 or 6 foundation colors. The colors are pretty much like other foundations so whatever you would get there order that color. It lasts a very long time. The eye shadows and everything also last a long time. I have the light/medium foundation and I'm almost halfway through it at 4 months or so...so it lasts a while...if you have any questions email me I can send you a link to more info about it.

cdford Contributor

I saw info on cosmetics on the news tonight. The group posting the info seems a little on the extreme side, but the info looks accurate. Hope they can get those guys to clearly label everything...at least then we would know if we were getting nasty stuff even if it is something as "natural" as wheat. Check it out and let me know if you find any other info.

Open Original Shared Link

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jaimek Enthusiast

I found out that Bare Escentuals is sold at Sephora stores. I am so excited. Going there this weekend to buy new makeup!

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

That's great! I don't think we have that store around here...I should check though...let me know how you like the makeup...I absolutely love it...it looks so natural :D

jenvan Collaborator

Dang--I am a bit of a makeup whore :) ! I have a trunk full of a myriad of different brands... I understand lipstick needing to be gluten-free. What about other makeup--eye shadow, mascara etc? And is it as important for those who do not have derm. hep to make sure their makeup is gluten-free? just when you think you've got it all figured out... :D

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

To me I have to have all makeup gluten free...think about how many times you touch your face then touch food without washing hands....when you wash it off the possibility of it getting into your mouth...etc...I would rather be safe the sorry when it comes to that stuff.

bmorrow Rookie

I was one of the people that didn't worry about gluten-free makeup and hair products, until I became very ill one morning. I had the same breakfast that I always have and was fine until I was driving to work approximately 10 minutes after eating. I had to come home from work and was sick the rest of the day. I could not figure out what made me sick until I read the ingredients on my hairspray. It contained wheat protien!

I have since been working on eliminating everything that contains gluten. I have started using Bare Escentuals too. I love them. I was skeptical about a powder foundation, but it goes on easy and stays on all day. I purchased some off of QVC and then found a place on Ebay that are less expensive. They are new products and are sealed.

I would definitely say it is very important that all makeup and hair products be gluten-free. :rolleyes:

jaimek Enthusiast

I don't have DH and didn't worry about gluten-free makeup or hair products until I started waking up every morning with my eyes crusted shut. I looked at my shampoo and sure enough it had wheat protein in it. I had been using MAC makeup but then I had my makeup done by the woman who is going to do it for my wedding and she used most of my makeup but a little of hers as well. Not surprisingly, I woke up the next morning with my eyes crusted shut. So, I think it is very important to use gluten-free makeup and hair products.

Guest Addicted2Gluten

Some people recommend that all the products that you use should be gluten free but others don't think that it matters that much. It depends on how you react to the make-up. For me, I didn't think that it was a problem until I started to realize that everytime I wore eye shadow I got a splitting headache. I then found out that the brand of eyeshadow that I was using had gluten in it. I believe it was both Estee Lauder and Clinique products that contained gluten. Since, then I've contacted companies and found out that Bare Essentials, MAC Cosmetics and Chanel products are gluten free.

Guest nini

I haven't worn makeup (any makeup) in years because everytime I wore any my face would break out in a really nasty rash.

I heard something about Burt's Bees makeup being gluten-free, does anyone know if this is true?

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

Yes alot of their makeup is gluten free.

Twister2 Contributor

You can also get the Bare Escentuals stuff at Sephora Online if you don't have a store in your area.

:)

sdore Enthusiast

I have a store called Ulta and they contain salon items.

They have a line of makeup called Bare Minerals. I haven't had a chance to check into it very much but from what I know it is made from minerals.

Maybe this can help too.

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

Yeah the bare minerals are a line of bare escentuals i think.

megzmc3611 Rookie

I actually found Bare Escentials at Whole Foods...which also has tons of gluten-free foods...

One stop shopping!!

Thomas Apprentice

All Marcelle cosmetics are gluten free... except for their mascara.

mytummyhurts Contributor

Does the Bare Escentuals last a long time? That stuff's a lot more spendy than what I usually buy. Ouch!

:blink:

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

Yeah Karen it lasts a very long time

watkinson Apprentice

Hi Katie,

There's a Sephora at Montgomery mall in Maryland and at Tysons corner in Virginia. :P Montgomery mall would be close enough for you to get to.

Wendy

watkinson Apprentice

Katie, guess what? I just googled it and there is now a Sephora at Columbia mall. If you have never been there you should check it out. It is our favorite mall in the area. Great stores. :lol: Have fun

Wendy

Archived